1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Ooops... I... erm... did it again!!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by t4n6o, 14 Sep 2011.

1. t4n6o

t4n6o You know when you've been tangoed

as tilte states i done anothr boo boo.

when relocating my PC, so my daughter stopped turning it off all the time, i realised that 1 fan was intaking instead of exhausting so i layed it down to resolve the problem and i heard a snap, instantly knew what it was, i had snapped the wireless reciever for the microsoft mouse and keyboard:wallbash::wallbash:

is there anything i can do with it ( besides throw it away ) or can i just order the wirless dongle?

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Could make a sonic screwdriver out of it? :lol:

On a more serious note, I think that the dongle is paired with mouse and keyboard. So ordering a new one might not work. Not sure on that one though.

3. t4n6o

tried ebay for second hand / spares or repairs just to wip the PCBs out of and replace them, to no avail.

would that work or not do you think?

4. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

You can try and contact customer support. I did this with logitech when mine was stolen (who steals a dongle?) and they sent me a new one for free.

5. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

What brand is your kb/mouse? If it is Logitech try contacting their superb customer services. A book once fell off a shelf onto my DiNovo keyboard and broke a couple of keys. Logitech replaced the whole unit free of charge even though it was 2 years out of warranty and it was only the keys that needed replacing. I've heard of other brilliant CS from Logitech too.

As to your question of using another dongle. I wasn't sure so did a little test with a keyboard with a dongle from another keyboard (both Logitech) and it worked. However it did not work with the Microsoft dongle, but a different Microsoft keyboard worked with the Microsoft dongle.

I would assume that you could use any infrared dongle on any keyboard/mouse as long as it's the same brand.

6. t4n6o

the keyborad is part of a set with a mouse its the microsoft 800

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Post pics of the damage, I may be able to repair that for you. It would save wasting a perfectly good keyboard and mouse.

8. t4n6o

will post but i doubt if you will be able to repair TBH

9. t4n6o

10. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Looks pretty terminal tbh. I think I see a snapped IC in there. Ouch :(

If you have no use for it whatsoever, feel free to throw it in an envelope and send it over anyway. I could always try my best for you, if it's a reasonably simple circuit I might be able to bodge something together that you can use... these little RX units are usually simple things.

11. t4n6o

anything is worth a try if you pop me you address in a PM i will send it off tomorrow when i go to job centre