1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Opening up the P180's fan doors with only a Stanley knife & pliers (and maybe a file)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by edzieba, 26 Feb 2009.

1. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Anyone who owns a P180 has probably noticed how restrictive the fan grill doors are. Some people simply remove them, and others take the ol' Dremel to them and remove the extended portion of the slats. This looks much better than having the doors missing, but is very time consuming, and needs lots of clean-up work to look presentable even if you're very careful.
    So here's a much faster and easier way. You'll need:

2x P180 fan doors (you could just mod one, I guess)
    [​IMG]
    1x Stanley knife. You could probably do this with a craft knife too.
    [​IMG]
    1x pliers. Or fingers if you're manly and have strong nails. I have no nails.
    [​IMG]
    1x file. Optional if, like me, you absolutely must have perfectly, anal-retentively, strait cuts.
    [​IMG]

Step 1:
    Score along the edge of the grill extrusion from the front of the grill. Run the knife along the edge a few times rather than trying to gouge it out in one. Use enough pressure to get a decent score without inadvertently chopping off your fingers, or worse, veering off of the line.
    [​IMG]

Step 2:
    Grab the edge with the pliers from the back of the grill, and lever it up along the previously scored line. You may need to hold the rest of the grill with your fingers to stop it twisting (fingers not in shot, fingers busy holding camera). It may splt into two sections, but this is OK.
    [​IMG]

Step 3:
    Cut off the now free strip of plastic at the ends.
    [​IMG]

Step 4:
    Run the knife along the freshly cut edge to clean it up. If you were careful with the scoring, the only lumps will be at the ends, and 3 spots where the injection moulding process left slight deformations. (I would be bracing the grill with my other hand, but it's busy holding... you know the drill)
    [​IMG]

Step 5 (optional):
    File down any uneven bits. Or not. You won't be able to see them once the doors are back on the case anyway. (Hand ___ __ shot, busy _______ ___ camera. Filling in the blanks is left as an exercise to the reader)
    [​IMG]

In front of a blank screen, to show the difference it makes compared to the normal grill arrangement:
    [​IMG]

All images courtesy of the terrible iphone camera, which will focus on whatever it damn well pleases, and cannot be conveniently operated with your chin.

Tags: