1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Opinions of Unreal 2003 demo.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by ¥¥¥, 14 Sep 2002.

1. ¥¥¥

¥¥¥ What's a Dremel?

I'd like to hear your opionions of the unreal 2003 demo, I thought it looked good and the physics were quite nice. I did not like the weapons though, they don't seem very good or origonal, im not that keen on the sounds of them either.

I liked the action but it just seemed to fast paced, I can cope yes but I do like a bit of sneaky action as well...

There seemed to be no real oppotunities to hide in any of the levels or to crouch and ambush. I guess i've been playing too much RTCW :)

I have only played the deathmatch modes so I would like so see some objectave based stuff. Another small niggle is that although the gfx are great it just looks like they have upped all the pollys and textures.

I was kinda hoping for atmospheric fog or somthing, maybe some lvls will have that in the full game. What did you think of it ?

2. Loz

Loz Blah Blah

The graphics were very nice, but a little cartoon-like on the outdoor level. This gave a poor first impression, they just arent to my taste.
    Indoors things are better though.

The fast paced action works well, but its a slightly different style of game to RTCW (which I too have been playing endlessly :lol:)
    I think RTCW lends itself more to extensive playing, with a variety of objectives, than UT2K3.

The Bombing-Run game is too similar to CTF, and although we have Team Deathmatch now, that does not make up for the lack of assault and domination. Hopefully those will make an appearance in the final game.

I'm a fan of objective-based missions now, and as I mentioned earlier, they have more replayability than deathmatches :rock:

The weapons are not as good as in the original IMHO. They certainly look better, but I enjoyed firing huge salvos of rockets (instead of the mere three in this game).
    Again, some weapon effects look cartooney (Shock Rifle alternative fire, Flack cannon, etc).

I do think the bots have been improved, although I didn't notice that until I began playing above "skilled".

I' be interested to hear more opinions :naughty:

~Sepherus

3. mr. phantastik

mr. phantastik What's a Dremel?

is it just me, or do a lot of the weapons kill on one or two shots? it seemed way to easy to walk around fragging everyone..

4. ¥¥¥

¥¥¥ What's a Dremel?

For me some of the atmosphere of the indoor lvls is ruined a bit by the fast paced action. If only it was slower and more cat and mouse style then perhaps we would all have more time to look at the lavish surroundings and listen to the great sound.

5. Loz

Loz Blah Blah

Its just you :D
    There are a lot of ways to kill quickly, but this goes with the fast paced action. They coded in "killing spree.....godlike", so it must be on purpose.

if you're looking for longer scraps, turn the difficulty level up.

6. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Assault isnt in the final game and domination hs been changed to double domination which plays a little different...

As for the demo its a pritty good but its being over shadowed by BF1942, the game has been delayed far too much especially for me once I was looking forward to playing this game now I just couldnt give a ****.

Shame really.

7. Loz

Loz Blah Blah

No assault? bang goes the money they could have made from me :sigh:
    Assault was by far the best part!

8. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

It's just Quake 3 tbh :p :nono:

9. ¥¥¥

¥¥¥ What's a Dremel?

lets see...

----------PROS:

gfx... nach. Bootiful.

physics... ho, shooting somone in the back and he tubles down the stairs ONLINE ?... V good if somewhat cosmetic... as the guy is doing is aiming at your head while hes being pushed by the blast.

Support for EAX + 5.1. EAX is espcially good in this game.

Solid enough netcode.

Interesting new weapons, I like the teleport gun thingy.

----------CONS:

gfx: does not have unified lighting sytem like doom3. Enviroment does not cast real time shadows... so moving a steal pipe will not cast those nice shadows you see unless specail coding has been done. Doom3 has this :D .. thats it.

Sound. Though it supports EAX + 5.1 in the demo at least some of the sounds sorces are only stereo... so even if your not facing a certain sorce the sound from it will make it sound like its in front of you.. disorintating as weapons and players are full surround sources. Also some weapons sound a bit flat.

Gameplay. Little has changed, perhaps refined. Not origonal in any aspect really but 'new' gamemodes and guns could be aruged.

Style is more 'kiddie' with brighter colours, crisp clear surroundings. A bit like playing a console game on PC... ( it is coming out for Xbox :) )... just not as gritty as i would of liked. Also the announcer is annoying, over the top. The 'you lose' gets a bit annoying as im sure people can draw their own conclusions.

---------
    Just my nitpicks. But I can hardly say im blowen away in terms of gameplay. Graphics were nice but not exactly mind bogleing. Call me demanding but the time when I jump out of my seat is when I see somthing that looks real and not like a render.

10. mashie

mashie The one and only

UT2003 is soo nice. The weapons are quite well balanced, and that they are more Q3 like is only a positive thing. Game speed is good, I simply dislike slow moving games nowdays. :)

To bad high textures isn't part of the demo. I was lucky enough to play around on one of the later full builds at ECTS and gosh what a beauty :D

11. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Is anyone else getting flickering problems with the geforce 4 on 40.41 drivers or is it just me?

12. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

The translocator? It was in the last one!

13. Liquid K9

Liquid K9 Human programmer.. heh

ok, heres me' view..

after playing it for a while I can say that I am somewhat dissapointed given the raving reviews I have seen about pretty much all Unreal games. To be honest, this game is not intended for the long-term gamer. It seems that this game is no more than an attempt at keeping the Unreal brand on the shelves. There is nothing new in this game that I havent seen in another, which, to me means they dont care about creativity or creating an experience to be enjoyed but rather creating yet another way to rake in the $$/££/€€. In my opinion if a game cannot be oringinal in at least one way then its not worth bothering with.

Weapons:
    the weapons in this game, much like the character models are chunky and akward, wether this is intended or not it doesnt look the best. The weapons in this game seem to be over-limited for an online game, for example the rocket launcher's secondary attack only fires three rockets although this might seem enough on paper it doesnt look right in-game, four would be a far better load. Also, the rocket launcher really should have a 'locking' sound when locked onto its target, a simple cross-hair change is not enough. There is one good thing however, the option to have a global cross-hair is quite useful, though only cosmetic

final note:
    this game is just another half-life wanna-be. Its ok, not bad but still nothing new, not something I would rush out to buy on the release date (unlike GTA3:Vice City). if I were to rate this out of 100 I would have to say 65, it loosing a full 35 points for un-originality. But remeber, this is only a demo, who knows what the final will turn out like, games developers are notorious for adding or removing features at the very last minuit

thats my opinion, take it or leave it :lol:

14. ¥¥¥

¥¥¥ What's a Dremel?

I'd buy this game probably for visuals alone. My main thing would the the possibility of mods etc.

15. Galactik

Galactik What's a Dremel?

tbh i had one thought spring to mind??

Quake 3 :)

need i say more

16. DJMyst

DJMyst yeah baby

I think UT2K3 is pretty good. Other than the flickering problem, which I fixed, there has been nothing negative I can say about it. Sure it's just like Q3A in some respects but it looks a helluva lot better and plays better in my opinion than Q3A. Now I wouldn't pay $50 for it when it comes out, but I would get it after the price drops.

17. ¥¥¥

¥¥¥ What's a Dremel?

Don't get me wrong, nice gfx and sound and physics but running around shooting people while they run around shooting everyone else isen't exactly my idea of fun. Perhaps for about an hour or 2 ? but surely to some people that gets boring.

I'd far rather a game where tactics and skill are more important and where team work is made a little more manditory. Sure there are "team" games, but thats just really more of the same... cooperation is optional.

Give some player classes like wolfenstein has in team games ? Have some objectaves to complete and you would have a winning formula... needless to say shooting some grunt in the ass is about as challanging as some people want a game to get.

Some varitiy would be nice. While CTF could be argued as objectave based the teamwork is still lacking enough as there is no real dependancy on team members for ammo etc.

The whole unreal gameplay has been done before, this is quake rehashed and dished out. The exact same gameplay can be had in quake 3... while small things vary like guns and physics its essentially identical.

Not that thats a bad thing, it rests on a tryed and tested formula... imo it offers nothing new and is rather hyped to say the least.

18. n0fear

n0fear What's a Dremel?

ut2003 has no railgun ..

19. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

I was really looking forward to this game.

The problem is, I have enjoyed games like CS, BF1942, RTCW, MOH, and others that are slower paced with many more tactics required, other than just being a good shot.

The ONLY reason I would have for purchasing this game when it comes out would be the mods that come out for it.

CS needs a new engine.

I love BF1942, but need voice commo with my teammates. Thats the biggest reason I keep going back to CS is because of the built in Voice communication.

::sigh:: I guess I will start looking forward to Doom.

20. mashie

mashie The one and only

No, but the lightning rifle can do some nice headshots...

Tags: