1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Opinions on case concept please?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Ryszvaldo, 2 Aug 2005.

1. Ryszvaldo

Ryszvaldo Banned

Hi, this is my layout plan for my new case:
    [​IMG]

The green boxes are 120mm fans, the red box is the psu, dark blue the optical drive, light blue is the hdd and the mobo is in yellow. (Sorry exported with annotation layer turned off)

I intend for the material to be mdf as it is cheep and I have a seven month old boy so cash is tight.

On the underneath of the case, there will be an exhaust similar to a gpu cooler to get rid of the hot psu gases and the psu will have an inlet vent from the side of the case. The basic plan is to get a full atx mobo with less height and possibly less depth as I quite fancy a more compact case.

I hope to have some sketchup piccies over the next few days, just struggling a bit with the program as I am more of a 2D autocad kind of guy!

I am thinking of doing a Warhammer 40k theme on the case as I searched the threads and couldn't find one done previously...(someone will probably correct me on this!).

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated as this will be my first proper mod...

2. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

ill be honest, your drawing is quite confusing, if you could possibly use paint or something to draw something a little more, imaginable, that would help a lot, other than that i think your on the way to a good case, keep the good work up!

3. Ryszvaldo

Ryszvaldo Banned

Ok, the front of the case is to the left and you are looking at the side of the case, the mobo is flipped a-la v1000 style as I have a passivley cooled gpu that I want vent the hot still air from via the top of the case. - Looked a lot clearer in my head...

4. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

ok, that explination helped. i think it will look good. will mdf be thick enough to support the case though? and also, will that look very good? its ok for the backing on cabinets and stuff, but i wouldnt think someone would want a case made of it. i just hope you know what your doing, if you like that mdf look, go ahead.

5. Ryszvaldo

Ryszvaldo Banned

In the past, I have found that if you prime the mdf properly, you can get some really good results... however, depending on how the theme goes, it may well be textured any way. The main carcass will be manufactured in 10mm thick mdf which should support the weight of the rest of the case and the components easily - as horrid a material mdf is, it is cheap, readily available and a doddle to work with!

I am quite concerned over the airflow in the case though...

6. Alien

Alien What's a Dremel?

You sure you're not thinking of hardboard? you can get MDF upto about 18mm thick, IIRC.