1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Opinions please ........

Discussion in 'Modding' started by SuperScrubber, 22 Nov 2001.

1. SuperScrubber

SuperScrubber Mad Chemist.....buwahahaa

I need your opinions guys on a bit of an annoying situation .......

I bought a second hand pc 70 a week or so ago which already had a window in it, roughly as so ............

[​IMG]

I thought it was a bit on the small side so out its came to be replaced (I thought) by a server window.
    The problem comes from the fact that the old window had an older, thicker rubber surround than the new one. The thing is the perspex windows are the same height below where the psu is however the old one had more metal cut out to make room for the larger surround hence the new one wont fit as it was intended at the moment.

So you see the problem ........

Basically theres a few options available, the first is to get hold of the older rubber stuff and use that instead however I'm not overly keen on that because it is HUGE in comparison to the new stuff.

Option two is to mount the window horizontally rather than vertically like so .......... (its wide enough along the bottom to fit the original hole)

[​IMG]

Or else I could cut the window and just have a larger rectangle or even a second window somewhere else ...........

I'm going to have a think tonite about what to do but I'd really like to hear what you guys recon would look good ........... :)
    Cheers

2. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

Its a shame you have already bought the server window, because the easiest and possible best would be to simply buy the rubber surround on its own, then to buy some plexi glass and make your own glass. You can go to sign making shops (for example) who have the plexi in whatever colour you want.

I saw some guy who had it on his custom Harley that was solid silver, but when he turned a light on behind it you could see through it. It looked great and would go well with the brushed alum of the pc70.

3. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

BOB THE BUILDER
    CAN HE FIX IT
    BOB THE BUILDER
    YES HE CAN

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    Cool Avatar

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I take it you cant make the window any lower down?
    You could trim the top, OR if its just the rubber in the way, ditch it/sell it and buy some chrome edging and use that instead, affixing the window to the case side instead of in the rubber.

5. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I dont understand the problem ... i have read it 4 times

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Scrub:
    New server window too big - Psu in way
    Me:
    Unsure if its just the rubber edging or everything that wont fit?

7. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

ahh now I get it ...... umm could you not try finding someone to swap the side panel with. Im sure there is someone out there that wants a window but doesn't want to do it.

8. SuperScrubber

Sorry - my description was a bit pants !!!!

Hopefully this hsould clear it up.............

[​IMG]

Cheers guys .......

9. dawson

dawson What's a Dremel?

why not just cut the plexi down a bit to the perfect size and abra kadabra.... problem solved!

~ d A w S o N

10. K

K 528491

Maybe flip it round, cut that side to fit nr the PSU and have a weird sorta T shape? :D

I reckon you should put it on the side like in your second pic, all that stuff at the bottom is far more interestin than seein top bit which is just empty (usually, cept back of drives/cables)...

11. SuperScrubber

Cant mate - the problem is that the plexi is too small for the hole ........ :)

Tempted to have some of the HDs showing - I've got 4 and it might look impressive .......... :)
    Other option is to have it as intended but so some of the psu shows instead of the back of the 5.25's ................ doing it tomorrow so we'll see how I feel ........

12. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Can you not send the server window back and get a custom one from ccm ? Otherwise short of swapping the side of the case I cant see what you could do :( There is some1 in the uk who sells new sides of lian's though , cant remember the rul off hand though :(

13. Jiffey

Jiffey What's a Dremel?

You could bug pcmods for a side...they're in the neighborhood of $30-35 tho...plus you're in the UK. That's what I'd do...if you're gonna do a mod it has to look good, right? Throw out the old side and get a new one, unless you'd lose money in the whole deal, defeating the purpose of buying it 2nd hand.

14. PC4LIFE

PC4LIFE What's a Dremel?

You could get a 24x24 acrylic sheet from pcmods and extend the window that came with case. And it leaves you option to make somthing that is differnt from the normal server window.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Have your HDD showing! It you want to show off the top area - do a top window mod (stick your fans in it if necessery) that's what im doin.