1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Optical Drive Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ed_456, 18 Oct 2009.

1. ed_456

ed_456 The Artful Bodger

Ok so I've started my media centre build, but I can't seem to get the CD drive working. It's a fairly old one, IDE, but it is working fine because I pulled it from another build. The problem is that the computer switches on, then it hangs at the POST screen. I can't get into the BIOS or anything. And it is defiantly the drive, because it works when I unplug it. Anyone got any ideas how I can fix it? Or should I just get a new one?

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

If it's an old one, check that the slave/master jumper is in the right position. Change it to CS or Cable select.

3. ed_456

ed_456 The Artful Bodger

Nope, doesn't work on slave, master or cable select. I was wondering, because I don't have all the motherboard standoffs attached, would that be causing problems?

4. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

as long as the back of the board isn't touching the case. get all the standoffs sorted tho it's a risk i personally wouldn't take. does your board have 2 ide sockets? have you tried the other one?

5. ed_456

ed_456 The Artful Bodger

Naa just a single one. I just got those other standoffs sorted, and there is no signs of any life yet. I may just go to SATA and avoid all this jumper and ribbon cable crap.

6. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

if you have another ide cable you could try that. sata route would be good and at least it isn't too expensive, you should even have enough change from a £20 to buy yourself a beer or two.

7. ed_456

ed_456 The Artful Bodger

Argh I give up. I'll just go down the SATA route. Much easier than faffing about with all this. I've tried 4 different cables on all the jumper settings, reset the bios several times, nothing seems to work. Thread can be locked/closed.

8. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

you can just leave it to die it's ok!

9. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Are you able to tell us what motherboard you are using?

I once had a mobo that had IDE and SATA ports, however in order to use a pair of the sata ports I had to disable the IDE side, or rather switch the IDE channels to SATA. This board however was about 5-6 years ago.

If you would like to advise us of your motherboard, perhaps we can advise any settings that may be required for you.

10. ed_456

ed_456 The Artful Bodger

It's a Foxconn M61PMV. Not the best motherboard in the world, but I bought it for a cheap build because funds are low at the moment what with me saving hard for driving.