1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Optimus Mini Keyboard, great potential

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Asphix, 22 Aug 2006.

1. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Well, sorry, but I gotta say I think that backlit keys aren't neccesary. If you need it, well, it's a bit nooby. Personally I can sit my hands on the home keys or the WASD setup very easily, in pitch dark. My hands just learn keyboards, and know exactly how far they have to far to touch the key's I want. It becomes so you don't even have to think about what key's you're touching, you just think of the actions and it kinda gets done.

I spend a lot of time at my PC, maybe more so then most, so maybe it's perfectly understandable for many people to need to look at the keys every once in a while, but for me, I just don't need lighting.

That said, I'd love an OLED touchpad like the one thats out. Not for the light, but just because it is exceptionally funky.

2. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

I'm pretty much the same as you, but i have a back-lit keyboard, however, i haven't lost anything by having it back-lit, plus it looks cooler ;)

I don't need to look at the keyboard often, but maybe once in a while (generally if I'm pressing a key i don't use often)

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I prefer compact fluorescent myself, but I meant when you don't have the lights on. You know, for playing FEAR or when the rest of the house is asleep and you're just too lazy to move to the lightswitch. Anyways, it's only a problem when you're typing since you take your hands off the keyboard a lot more - when you're gaming, you've got your left hand on wasd (or whatever) and your right on the mouse, and it never changes. Whenever I take a short break for whatever when gaming at night, I always end up strafing or switching weapons by accident because I put my hand back in the wrong place - which doesn't happen on my laptop with backlit keyboard (though, to be fair, I don't game on it, especially at night, since the backlight doesn't work in Windows anyways last I checked, but its a godsend for late-night bit-teching and slashdotting).

I typed this whole post without looking at the keyboard - it's not a lack of knowing the keys. But my keyboard tends to move around quite a bit, and I don't game especially often anymore anyways. The fact that I've got a specific gaming section of the keyboard doesn't really help things, especially since there's no raised bump on f or j (or anything else in the area). If the keyboard never moved, or I gamed a bit more, it probably wouldn't be a problem. But it is, oh well. Once I'm going, I'm fine, it just takes a few seconds.

4. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

I like the idea of a backlit keyboard without lights=better view of the screen. its hard to find home position on the keyboard since its on a slideout rack and gets moved. Its just hard when I need to hit 1 single button. I think the 3 bottons are cool but have yet to come up with anything useful for them, other than displaying small items. Maybe volume and mute but then its pretty pointless to use something so expensive for such a task. Only good for people who have more money than they need, or have a good idea for it other than eww I think ill make this a 5 1/4" bay device.