1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Orac³ - Part 5

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 14 Jun 2004.

1. PankyBoy

PankyBoy What's a Dremel?

I was looking at ORAC 3 and thinking to myself, wouldn't it be funny to take ORAC to some local shop or technician lab for some kind of repair.

They will load their pants when they see it :clap:

2. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

LMAO :hehe: . When we gonna be treated to some more pics btw? :cooldude:

EDIT:Welcome to the forums!

3. ferm

ferm What's a Dremel?

Orac3 a god's work

Gnome you made the best pc i have ever imagine not only see I put the favorite on my explorer as the god himself Well done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Orac³ in German PC Games Hardware

Orac³ just came out as mod of the month in the September issue of PC Games Hardware in Germany. :)

[​IMG]

The mod will be featuring in a number of print magazines in several countries over the next month or two, and on a couple of magazine covers, including an exclusive pictorial in a major US magazine (I took an extra series of pics for this mag). I'll update this thread when they come out. :dremel:

Busy working on my next project at the moment, I'll post it up in project logs and on the main site when I'm well into it.

Thanks again for all the nice comments. :)

5. juzzwuzz

juzzwuzz What's a Dremel?

Congrats G-gnome. :clap: :rock: :clap:
    Good work needs to be rewarded.

6. OddOne

OddOne What's a Dremel?

It is truly a work of art.

As a father of 3 and have been married for 14 years, I would like to thank your wife for understanding your art form.
    I also get the look of "what the hell are you using THAT for" LOL

7. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Just thought I'd let you know that you've just been published in this month's pc upgrade magazine in the UK.

Congrats! :thumb:

8. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Cool, I didn't know. Thanks :)

Have to pester the UK staff to get me a copy! :cooldude:

9. Zebo

Zebo What's a Dremel?

:::Swoon:::

ORAC3's the best work I've ever seen. I've spent about 6 hours just reading and mulling over the 5 logs and can only imagine the amount of work planning, researching, running around... posting let alone building time it took. You could easily sell these for 10000 USD if you've seen what alienware systems go for... maybe much much more.. Anyway you are truly an artist of the highest calibur which has insipired me and the rest of the computing world.:)

Constructive critisism for next build: Please don't slaughter me guys, just relaying my thoughts to what Gnome was self-critical of..:)
    I would have liked to seen more emphasis tward silence with a large radiator like the UK made Thermalchill 120.3. Cooled by 3 120mm 5V low rpm (800-1000rpm) silent fans but that's just me being a fanatic about any noise. It has about 8x the surface area of your rad allowing for almost passive cooling. Also 4 HD's can't be quiet, even Seagate or Samsungs, unless they are housed on something like a SmartDrive 2002.
    http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/smartdrive2002.html
    Finally the Antec PSU is loud, no way around it. The silverstone 460 which I have is silent. It's large 120mm fan never gets spinning past about 800 rpm.

This again is the best build ever and thank you for showing it to the world.:)

10. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Hi Zebo,

Thanks for the comments and good points about the noise aspects of things. The mod project I'm working on currently is very focussed on near-silence. I'm planning on only having 1 fan in the entire system. Will see how I go. Should be very quiet if I can get away with it.

Being my first mod, I learnt a lot during the build of Orac³ and will definitely be incorporating a lot of what I learned into my current project, both in the modding and from feedback received.

Cheers :dremel:

11. enriqueeeee

enriqueeeee What's a Dremel?

could we see some more pictures from the front and the side please :D

two tumbs up it looks great :thumb: :thumb:

12. Vcdman

Vcdman What's a Dremel?

I was reading over the article and i found something i dont quite understand. It looks like you have all 1/2" barbs on you water blocks but then you put a small piece of 3/8" tubing on the larger barb and then you just put a 3/8" to 1/2" tubing converter right after that. Seems weird but maybe i am wrong.

13. VirusZero

VirusZero What's a Dremel?

What is that material?

Hey g-gnome! I am just getting into putting a saw to my case and all that fun stuff and I have one question.

http://bit-tech.net/images/article/135/17af68.jpg

The material you have there, the mesh, what is it? Where could I get a hold of some? I would really appreciate if you could tell me!

I know its been oversaid but that has got to be the most crazy awesome mod...naw mod is too lame a word for that. The most crazy awesome thing ever to grace a computer user's eyes. I envy your modding skills :waah:

14. fohkus

fohkus What's a Dremel?

it's been a very very long time. When do we get to see some pics of it w/ the lights on?

15. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

It's a.m.r.i architect's scale model mesh: 1/2 way down this page of Orac³ - Part-3. I also used it as a filter on my Rad. :dremel: :)

------------------------------------------------
    Here you go :) (I didn't post any before now, as I promised CPU magazine in the US they'd have these shots exclusively, but the magazine came out last month, so I'll post some pics I sent but they didn't use):

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The lighting is all pretty subtle and hard to capture as it's mostly embedded LEDs which make the plexi 'glow'. Only really effective in subdued ambient light. :)

-------------------------------------------

Other Stuffs...

On another note, the mod is this months 'Rig of the Month' on the Corsair website.

It also won Computer Power User magazine 'Mad Reader Mod' and featured on the cover:

[​IMG]

With a nifty feature (the first couple of pages shown):

[​IMG][​IMG]

It's been in 7 magazines so far, with another couple of features in both the UK's CustomPC and in China's 'biggest' (readership 5 million apparently?) computer magazine - MicroComputer.

It popped up (in a small pic) on the cover of Italy's PC Fun mag, with a feature inside, and also the already mentioned PC Upgrade feature:

[​IMG][​IMG]

There should be pics of the mod appearing in a couple of books on modding and even on a calendar in the next few months. ATI even did up an Orac poster for London Games Week:

[​IMG]

Over all, it's been hard keeping up with things! As fun as Orac has been, I'm glad to be moving on to other modding endeavours and concentrating on working on my current project... (expect a project log/article soon). :dremel:

16. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Haven't noticed in in Custom PC yet, but nevertheless, those lighted pics really do the finish quality justice. Hope to see more and good luck with the new project :)

17. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

it appears Orac³ will be a legend and takeover the world :clap:

18. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Coming out in CustomPC issue 15, (25 Nov) I believe. :)

19. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

The lighting is brilliant, it really rounds off the whole look.

awesome. I thought I would have seen it.
    You say it popped up in that Italian mag, did you know they were doing that?

20. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Yes, they approached me to run a feature on the case. After 8 reminder emails and a couple of months I'm still waiting on copies of it :rolleyes: . It's funny, CPU mag gave me a US$1500 Newegg Voucher and a years subscription to the mag ( :thumb: ), while 'PCFun' gave me $0 & won't even send me a copy. Jerks. :blah: I had to pull the cover pic off their website. :rolleyes:

Tags: Add Tags