1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Orac³ - Part 5

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 14 Jun 2004.

1. DJ-Sonic

DJ-Sonic New Member

Hello again G-gnome.

yes it does, thank you werry much for your answer, you are the best :thumb:

2. DJ-Sonic

DJ-Sonic New Member

Reservoir and switch

Hello again G-gnome.

Sorry for asking so much but do you think you can help me out one more time, that would be greate.

wat is the size of the reservoir you using ?
    is it 4 or 6 inches ?

about your 6 vandal switch.

is it two for the power and reset. (spring switch I think the name is)

but wat is the 4 others ?
    is it on/off switces ?
    (like if you push the button is stayes inn, and if you push one more time it goes out again) ?

do you have and adress or something to where you purchase them ?

it would be greate if you have time to answer this. (or want to) :)

best regards from Tommy

3. RR5

RR5 New Member

Could we request a bit-tech.net article that has all the links start to finish for Orac³?

Its a bit bothersome looking for the pieces to show someone.

4. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

a)there's one somewhere with links to the 5 logs
    b)why?! can't you just make a doc/post of all the links yourself? :worried:

<A88>

5. RR5

RR5 New Member

Yes I know its on G-Gnome's signature. But try telling that to a bit-tech newbie.

"Oh check out orac3, just look around on forums.bit-tech.net in a few days you'll find it."

6. DJ-Sonic

DJ-Sonic New Member

bit-tech newbie ??

hey, its the bit-tech newbie speaking :)

I only asked G-gnome for this because it would make the things a little bit easyer for me to find.

I diden`t see anything on that part in the logs.
    And its hard to gett this in norway so I have to order almost everything in other countrys

another thing is that - I asked about the switch because they are easy to use and have nice looking and the same goes for the reservoir but size does matter :)

But yet, I have to order this in other countrys.

But anyway, is it so bad to ask for little help if someone needs it ?

maby I find it in the forums or something but it would save me a lots of time if I asked instead, maby bad thinking but it worth trying.

regards from Tommy

7. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Or you could scroll down the list on the 'Articles' page and find all the articles in 15 sec. ;)

The actual original forum worklogs have been put to rest as far as I'm concerned, which is why you'll not find them easily, plus they don't cover Part-5.

DJ-Sonic - The reservoirs were 4-inch and the Switches were from RS components (I used the Australian one, but there is one in the UK). :)

8. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

9. DJ-Sonic

DJ-Sonic New Member

Ok thank you werry much mr.G-gnome.

can you remember wat those switch was named ?
    it`s that clip system, I don`t now wat they are called.

once again, thank you for your help :)

happy new year to all :clap:

regards from Tommy.S

10. Meega

Meega New Member

To young to remeber...

Perhaps I am to young ro remember...
    see I'm merley 18 years old.

maybe not that perculiour that I have no freaking Idea of what that might be :p

But yeah, I'll search for it. thx

11. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I'm 16 and had never heard of it up until orac3, but i've seen it around a bit now lol

<A88>

12. DoNuT

DoNuT New Member

:waah: i want it

13. DJ-Sonic

DJ-Sonic New Member

and I got it :D
    I did it again. sorry G-gnome but I had to make it, you are the best :clap:

14. Dilmah

Dilmah New Member

G-gnome: Wow! That is one awesome case! I first seen it in the 50th issue of Atomic PC mag (yes I am another aussie), and then I came across it again on the Bit-tech website, I began to read your article on how you built it, and how simple, yet affective some of the parts of the ORAC are. You have now inspired me to start my own project, as I will have abit of free time on my hands when I finish the HSC in a month (for those who don't know, the HSC is the final exams for high school)

I am starting to source some of my materials, electronics and equipment etc. but I am having a difficult time on choosing a case. Any suggestions for a virgin modder? ;)

15. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

Welcome to the forums, Dilmah. It's horses for courses really mate, depending on your design. Perspex scratches easily, cracks under stress and isn't exactly cheap...

For a First Timer, I would suggest something Low Budget: you will make mistakes and by the end of it, you will probably already know of several ways you could've done it better. Set modest goals without spending a lot of dough, then bring out the big guns once you've had some practice.

I would go with a cheap Aluminium case: low cost, and easy to cut. Work your design out on paper - G-gnome did extensive sketches before going anywhere near a Dremel. And remember: measure twice; cut once ;)

There are plenty of experienced modders to help you if you want to start your own thread. Good luck.

16. Dilmah

Dilmah New Member

The_Pope: Thanks for the advice. I don't want to go off topic, so I will make a thread shortly when I sought some things out.

G-gnome: I still can't get over ORAC...

17. kow_patt

kow_patt New Member

Hi, a while ago I read about the orac and was immediatly inspired, So i had a go myself. I am about 1/2 the way through it, but i need my PC on a day to day basis, so i can only work on it for a few hours at a time, and then i need to use it again. I would like to use the chrome shower hoses like in the orac (Have stuck with a chrome cable sleeving kit for now), and prefer the blue over the green, but i am a little concerned at how they may touch vital parts of the PC and cause problems, did you have this problem? Any other pointers you can give? I realise that this is nothing compared to orac, but heres a pic anyway :)

Note: These pics were taken at night, the flash on the camera is also good at reflecting off the perspex...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Hi kow_patt, welcome to the forums mate.

Your mod looks pretty cool; the all-black drives (pun intended - you being a NZ'er and all) look great with the plexi.

With the shower hoses: you will have problems if they touch your motherboard or contact metal on your PCBs (vid-card, sound card, etc). You'll likely get a short and fry them, basically. I only avoided this with Orac by covering my mobo, cards, etc with chromed plexi covers which prevented any contact (the covers were insulated on the underside).

An option might be to instead cover your shower hoses with clear plastic tubing (hardware store or water-cooling type)? All I can say is be cautious as you run a very real risk of shorting out your system without some form of insulation or separation from any components.

Good luck. :dremel:

(PS - I see you are from Christchurch. That's where I'm from originally (born and raised)! Great city and great to see people are into modding there too. :) ).

Edit - looking at your case pics again, as a suggestion, what about taking out the FDD and the top DVD drive, removing the covers and giving them a coat of black paint to match the other drives? Alternatively, if you're keen, stripping and sanding or polishing the back covers down to bare metal (and giving them a coat of laquer to seal against rust)? You could even take the metal covers to an electroplaters and get them chromed (they'd even strip off the paint for you)? Just a couple of ideas. :dremel:

Last edited: 25 Oct 2005
  19. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I don't know if you've attended this question already, but are there any other final photos of the computer lying around on the interweb or elsewhere other than the two on part 5? I'd love to see it lit up and glowing, or at least have a few more candy shots of it :) Thanks in advance.

Edit: just found a few responses elsewhere in the thread. Shouldn't be such a lazy n00b in future :blush:

<A88>

20. Agamer

Agamer New Member

Now the Orac has been aorunmd for a while now so persuming it's still alive and kicking whats become of it, has any thing changed or anythign. Just wondering maybe we could have a few current pictures, I know it's rude to ask but I thought I would it could also answer <a88>

:)

Tags: Add Tags