1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Orac³ - Part 5

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 14 Jun 2004.

1. magicpixel

magicpixel What's a Dremel?

There's nothing much I can say that hasn't been said already.
    You are 1 talented gnome! :thumb:
    Thanks for sharing all your tips, tricks and ideas with us.
    MOD ON!

Cheers,
    Chris.

2. SFOD-D LoneWolf

SFOD-D LoneWolf What's a Dremel?? :p

This is a beatifull mod, the best one there is. :clap:

All the best,
    Mike

3. kill_me_quick

kill_me_quick Big and Blue

Love what ive seen so far, not quite finished (on page 19)

Can't wait to see the next project :rock: :rock:

4. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

nonono thats not what i mean. (bad wording)

I mean do functional mods as opposed to everything for asthetic gain. Im sure there was some functional mods in there but they got swamped with all that chrome :rolleyes: :thumb:

5. HalloweenJack

HalloweenJack What's a Dremel?

I've been lurking for a while, watching the development of your project. Simply put, I don't believe the end result could have turned out better. I'm surprised at the few quibbles being posted, but I guess that's human nature. In particular the one about part of the MB being visible. This is not a shortcoming in my opinion. It seems like we are allowed a glance at the inner workings but never getting a full reveal - a nice subtlety, I think.

6. tmod

tmod What's a Dremel?

The workmanship and attention to detail along the way, IMO, are nearly as impressive as the final result. When I saw this, the first thing I thought was, "The bar has just been raised...".

7. vonkaar

vonkaar What's a Dremel?

I don't know what to say...

I feel completely... 100% humbled. Sad even. Like, I don't even want to work on the chrome goat anymore :sigh: . I had a lot of similar ideas... but the precision... the beauty... innovation... bleh. I can't compete =p. I know it's not a competition... but I *am* going to sit and constantly compare my plans to what G-nome has done. I read the update about 5 minutes after he posted it... I basically had this gut-dropping feeling that I'll likely scrap my project now.

It's the innovation that gets me. None of this was done before. It's one thing to see an AMAZING etch job in a plexi case... or a SUPER clean Lian-Li. THIS, however... is unique. Anything else that comes close to this project will be an Orac³ knockoff. I'm floored. Yeah... yeah... 200 posts later we'll see people posting, "jeeze man, chill.. it's just a case..." That's not the problem. It's the artistic interpretation of similar ideas. Like, what if Bob was going to build a new and improved melon-baller. Elsewhere in the world, Jim sets up for the same thing. A year later, Bob sees Jim's invention and realizes that he is soooo far off in every aspect of his design, so he gives up his fruity aspirations to live the life of a traveling urinal-cake salesman.

This is like... if Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha and Elvis all came to Bit-Tech to build a case -- Orac³.

I'm so impressed with this mod... I'm going to click a smilie. :jawdrop:

8. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

My son has orac as his desktop wallpaper on his pc at home... :worried:

9. star_treking

star_treking What's a Dremel?

DAMN!
    When you can you gotta build a monitor(LCD) to go with it.

10. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

Do we get a night shot? I don't recall seeing a piccy with the lights turned down. I want to bask in the LEDness.

Excellent work, btw. Maybe slightly OTT with the cabling in the end, but I think it's necessary. I cannot fault it.

11. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

Hey G-gnome, any chance of getting some desktop sized pics posted/available for download? :worried:

12. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

Absolutely amazing [extensive use of the jawdrop smilie]

I'm lost for words!

I'd love to see this thing running (linux of course, can't have that b-e-a-utiful machine polluted by microsoft!)

Your attention to detail amazes me, even modding the barbs!

I think that this week will be the best of my life! First France beat England and now orac3 has been finished!

My hat goes off to you!

13. Novakog

Novakog What's a Dremel?

Man, Congratulations on perhaps the most insane mod in existence. Not only is this entire mod beautifully executed and incredibly complex, but it was designed well from the start. IE, not only did you do an unbelievably amazing job, but it's simply an unbelievably amazing looking case - despite everything it's somehow not "over the top" and it's perfect because of that! I am looking to see more from you!

14. jbehmoaras

jbehmoaras What's a Dremel?

To begin with, I must say congratulation on this masterpiece of computer fabrication. But I wanted to ask you a question about some of those cables. Some of the cables and some of the plugs seem similiar to an electric guitar's cord that connects to the amp, or like a headphone plug and its respective headphone jack. Since i liked the look of it i was wondering how it worked. Did you use a special version of those cables or do conventional cables and plugs carry the same properties that you used to carry current.

15. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Read the previous four articles! :duh:

16. mashie

mashie The one and only

Cool, so now it is finally done. So when will you start the next project? :D

I'm a bit curious why you actually spent time to stealth the mobo considering all cables in front of it prevent any view of it anyway?

17. isisfreak

isisfreak What's a Dremel?

Wow, great work! :rock:

I have a couple questions though. First, what are the final specs? (sorry if I missed this, but I went through everything trying to find it and couldn't) Second, how are your temps?

18. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

to quote Mr Gnome from a few posts up:

:dremel:

19. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Not what i meant, their are too many cables for my liking, i think its the little voice in my head sayin "where is the airflow?" I know its probably not the case but I like to see w/o a mass of wires. Great mod anyhoo, love the appliques :thumb:

'doc

Last edited: 15 Jun 2004
  20. mashie

mashie The one and only

Ah ok, thanks. :)

Tags: Add Tags