1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Orac³ - Part 5

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 14 Jun 2004.

1. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

I know you did Jazz . I was having a little tongue-in-cheek jibe, more aimed at bigZ the big 'ol spammer that he is ;) :p :)

2. juzzwuzz

juzzwuzz What's a Dremel?

You could view the articles and it is detailed very well there. :)

3. GUIGUI

GUIGUI What's a Dremel?

Sorry to repeat myself, but could we, please, have night shoot, please? (please...)

4. Zion

Zion What's a Dremel?

G-gnome you are my idle. You are the main reason I got into computer modding so Congrats on finishing your project and I look forward to your next one.

By the way Orac³ KICK'S ASS :rock: :rock:

5. D B

D B What's a Dremel?

I didn't know about modding untill I stumbled accross Orac³ one day ( just before 3rd update ) ....... WOW ...... Speechless ....
    and the pictures are incredible , alowing us to gape slack jawed at each detail ...

As Ive told others ...

A Great Example of Ingenious Use of Common Products ...
    Outstanding Attention to the Smallest Detail ...
    To Create a Truly Unique Case

DB < envy

6. Hepath

Hepath Minimodder

I'm interested in how it performs now you've finished it?

Is it as silent as you originally wanted?

Stu

7. David_Fitzy

David_Fitzy I modded a keyboard once....

One word.....

WOW!

...although that doesn't do it justice :sigh:

I love every last bit of that case.
    It's everything a clear case should be and then some, everything looks brilliant and has turned out perfectly.

8. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Needs more chrome, greens the right colour tho ;)

9. juzzwuzz

juzzwuzz What's a Dremel?

Blue is a little too common now days. :waah:

10. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Partly why I went with green, though the main reason is that the original Orac had green plexi parts inside it, very much the same colour as the green I used.

Hepath - It still makes a some noise with the 120, 92 and the 2 PSU fans, though a lot less than my current case, especially when I dial the speeds down on the fanbus. I'll not be satisfied unless I could have a totally silent case though :sigh: The pump is beautifully quiet - be great if the pump was the only thing making noise. :)

11. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

There is a reason those acoustifans exist. ;) Those things truly are silent, unless you put your ear right next to them. That could make the Orac 3 silent :)

12. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Now there's a thought! I hadn't heard about those - might get some for my next mod. :)

13. Kick-bak

Kick-bak What's a Dremel?

Thanks for showing me all those great techniques for working with perspex. The humble hacksaw n copeping saw are now my fav tools for.......wrecking perspex :rolleyes:

Great craftmanship

14. Thy_Master

Thy_Master What's a Dremel?

Orac 3

Orac 3 was the greatest computer ever built, even greater than the original. Its creator, G-gnome, had invented the first everlasting mod, which existed in every ones minds.
    With Orac 3, one could make any thing coming close to it embrace each other of joy and happiness. Bit-tech had the honour of showing the world the beautifulness of G-gnomes creation, and sadly some people wanted to copy or buy the one of a kind existence.
    Orac 3 could be extremely infuriating. It much preferred to occupy its time with serious twinkeling and looking itself in the mirror, rather than helping G-gnome with trying to make a desktop beautiful enough to fit itself.
    G-gnome and Orac 3 often matched their good looks with each other, with G-gnome even besting Orac 3 on occasion, like when turning the lights out, coaming his few straws of hair and squinting in the mirror or taking the power cord out of Orac 3 so it coult not twinkle any more. Orac 3 was highly sought after by the people of the world and by other G-gnomes (daaah, they DO exist). But it is presumably hidden safely away somewhere in the Great Victoria Desert or on the small island of Transylvania, but the real location of Orac 3 and the cost of making it, we will never know.

P.S. Great job, once again D.S.

15. Goldberg

Goldberg What's a Dremel?

G-gnome, could you please make some pictures from each side of the case (bottom to) :confused: so we can view the case and its cabling by details.
    Maybe as wallpapers (would be cool :hip: )

16. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

G-gnome is Australian, so if it was on an island, it would be Tasmania not transylvania, since that's in Europe, and it's not an island.

edit:: yea i agree, some wallpapers would be really excellent. :D

17. Thy_Master

Thy_Master What's a Dremel?

Yeah, Sorry, i wrote wrong... :duh:

18. x3x3non

x3x3non What's a Dremel?

Hey man, like everyone else, i am just awestruck, but i am sure you have heard that plenty of times now, so i will jsut go ahead and ask you 2 questions.

1) Please post pictures of that beautiful baby powered up (take at least one pic in the dark, i want to see shiny LEDs! *DROOL*)

2) You said you wanted to use the Multi power port as your sole LED power source. I also read that you intended on using up to 70 LEDs. I did the math (probably wrong) and concluded that you could have only gotten 30 LEDs from the MPP.

If you connet them in a series
    2 LEDS for each 5V (2.5 should power each LED) 8 LEDs
    4 LEDS for each 12v line = 16 LEDs
    1 led for each 3.3v line = 6 LEDs

= 30 LEDs.

19. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Hi x3x3non,

I ditched the idea of adding a lot of LEDs (as mentioned in the 5th article). I don't recall ever mentioning using the MPP as the sole LED power source, considering I mention other controllers and LEDs in my articles. If I have said that somewhere, please let me know and I'll change the wording because it's not correct :) . Of all the connections off the multipower port (incl the center indicator which you don't mention), not all are wired to LEDs. From memory I think I only ran 5 LEDs off the MPP. They all have resistors for 12v and 5v wired into the outputs.

If I had've run with my idea, I had bought 4 PC Rider+ LED controllers in preparation (which will power 48 LEDs). I'm now keeping these for other projects.

Plus you haven't factored in the hardwired LEDs on the PSU (8 incl the glowing panel) the DVD drives (12 between both, incl the glowing panels) the Power, HDD and standby LEDs (3), the front junction box center panel (4), The VFD mounting bracket (2), the Fanbus LEDs (all 12 of which I changed). Add the 5 LEDs off the MPP and there are 46 LEDs in the case as it stands (though I've probably missed some, I'm going off the top of my head here ). If I had used my 4 PC Rider+ controllers I would have had 96 LEDs - too many IMHO. :eeek:

20. x3x3non

x3x3non What's a Dremel?

This is from the first article

I guess i misread that somehow, i thought you meant to use ONLY the MPP to power LEDs, instad of using the MPP ONLY to power LEDs .
    The latter option doesnt rule out the possibility of other power sources for LEDs.

Thank you for your answer and awesome mod. If aliens ever come visit our planet, lets show 'em your case to let them see what mankind is capable of. :D :D :D . (well then they might low us up out of jealousy).

(by the way, where did you buy your PC Rider+ LED thingies if you dont mind me asking)

Tags: Add Tags