1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple ordered a brand new imac 24" and it was dead

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sc0rian, 13 May 2008.

1. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

bought a brand new imac of apple yesterday... 24" one.. 3.2ghz. top spec model, was so excited getting it out of the box.. its so sexy!!!

came to turning it on.. screen was just black, didnt come on!

I tried to reset it by pushing power for 5 secs, did no good.. was dead!

apple sending another one tomorrow..

kinda shocked that apple sent a dead imac out...

2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

"OMG my world just crashed, Apple isn't a perfect brand/manufacturer"?

That sucks but how come I'm not surprised that someone always is unlucky and gets a broken one..

3. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Mudkips.

^^ That is a werid reply.

unlucky on the imac, maybe its there way of telling you to buy a PC :naughty:

4. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

with Linux. :naughty:

5. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I recently defected to the apple world.... its back in apple's hands now.

Returned it and ended up building a similar(and sexier) PC for <1/2 that.

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Do you REALLY need a mac?
    They PC and MAC are both identical. The only difference is that one has MAC OS, the other a choice of an old OS 2001 OS (XP), or a new flashy and fancy one (Vista).
    And the design. Photoshop and the rest run just as well on a PC then on a MAC :)
    Oh and it's also much cheaper, or teh same price get one that is more powerful, and easy to upgrade.

7. Sc0rian

well my main rig is a 8800gtx SLI with a 22" dell, and a 20", 4gb, 2tb hdd, amd 6000+, all soon the be watercooled..

The mac is mainly for my mother to use. She is a illustrator, and thought the best option would be a MAC. mainly because she has been doing it on a pc for the last couple of years, and she is for ever phone callin me with problems. So decided to just get a Mac and be done with it.

Mac is love or hate... I personally have always used Windows, but it is nice to have a lovely Mac in the house now (well tomorrow).. For my mum its perfect.

Also I can play with it..

8. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I want a mac just so I can minimize things to the bouncy dock thingy at the bottom! I might get a laptop. They should let you install the OS onto PC's.

9. GoodBytes

Did you hear about something called Vista :)
    I don't know since I put Office 2007 (my mother types text) and Vista, she stop complaining, no more "Oh Noooo all my work gone for ever!" when she MINIMIZES a window. Now with the animated stuff, her eyes can follow. And Office 2007, stop her from asking me how to insert a picture or make a text bold or something.
    And with UAC, she doesn't touch anything system related, so she doesn't screw up the system. Oh and Vista help doc are very nice, just had to convince her that it's fine to use.

I don't know, that is my experience.

10. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I love my mac! I hope you enjoy your new new iMac when it turns up.

11. OleJ

OleJ Me!

EDIT: Just reread the thread and the posts and I'm very sorry for the rather explosive outburst below :) Please read it keeping in mind that it is not minted on anybody but MS.
    Oh and sorry for OT. Congrats on the new mac. You'll be happy with it when the replacement one arrives. They are *nice* :)

@GoodBytes
    WTF?!
    Mac and PC is NOT the same if you have eyes in your head.
    I have yet to see a PC with peripherals that looks and feels as sexy as a mac. There's just no comparison. Oh yeah there's of course logitechs top of the line where you pay 150GBP for a keyboard and they have a few mice that look alright. Creative have the Gigaworks T20 but already now we have peripherals with different design communication.

If design is not an issue then yes Macs and PCs are the same and Macs are overly expensive.

And to top off my rant: Vistas design sucks ****ing donkey ****. It's sooo nineties. I don't know what happened to the graphic designers at MS (perhaps they don't exist) but Vistas UI looks awful. Of course it looks a million times better than XP blue default but I don't think its fair to compare anything to that. Perhaps the olive theme is fair to compare against the default as it's the only thing that makes the default theme look good in comparison.
    MS UI design is heavy and clunky. MS tried hard with Vista and came a lot closer than with XP but are still miles off. They need to learn that I DONT WANT TO SEE THE OS I just want it there working for me. The OS is not a feature it's a platform so design it like that.
    I don't turn on my PC to look at Windows. I turn it on to use my programs. Windows is merely a facilitator that I want to only be as visible as necessary. Not freaking blinking at me in black and neon.

I'm sorry I just had to get that out. Please don't compare apples and pears... or apples and windows.

Now all this doesn't mean that I think OSX is perfect in any way. No design can be but it can try. I primarily run winxp and even have it on the Mac in bootcamp and there are tons of usability issues with OSX that are so much easier in xp. I am by no way a mac fanboy. I do feel very strongly about design though :)

Last edited: 13 May 2008
  12. specofdust

specofdust Banned

You'll always get a DOA. It may be more or less likely, but there'll always be some. Notch it down to bad luck and wait for your replacement.

Then take a sledgehammer to that and get a real computer

13. Sc0rian

OleJ i agree with you :)

end of the day me and my mum have always wanted a mac in the house. She works for alot of publishers they all use macs. They often send mac formats so it just makes everything easier.

Also I hate not being part of the mac "fan club" so getting a 24" mac im right in there..

Just got an email from apple saying it'll be here tomorrow.

14. GoodBytes

It's a post, and I am not doing any F's here, I think that pop-up window of the F's that you probably saw comes from another webpage.

A Computer is a calculator, a fancy one, but still calculates. As long as it is able to change current into something (a processor) it is a calculator.
    A PC is a computer, so it calculates, so its a calculator.
    A Mac is a computer so it calculates so its a calculator.
    Calculator = PC = Mac = Computer (which is also a PC and MAC).
    So it IS the same, if you have eyes in your head, that is ALSO properly CONNECTED to you BRAIN you will see this fact.

Last time I check HP/Canon/etc.. printers look the same for PC and Macs...
    "Sexy"?!?! Dude, you don't perform 'adventures' with your peripherals (anyway I hope you don't), I mean I just can't image how YOUR output connector fits in that USB plug. It's like connecting a Parallel Port connector to a mini head-phone jack. Good luck! Sorry, I could not resists, to many time I read such comments, and I had to say it! No offense, we are still friends :)

Well I don't know about 'logitechs', but Logitech has not only better looking peripherals than the Mac default peripherals, they are also better and also more comfortable which increase productivity and allow longer computer usage as you are more comfortable. Once you actually use a Logitech keyboard, you will run a buy one and replace your Mac keyboard. Also unlike other brands, all the peripherals have the same design as between each other. so if you have everything from Logitech, things go together.

Like I once said, when you go to a hardware store to get a hammer, do you get a hammer, or you go "HOLY CRAP! look at the design of this hammer!!!!! OOHHHH WOOOOWWW, look at the curves it so sexy!, I'll get 12!" I don't think so. Granted that depending where you place your computer you want some level of aesthetic as it is not something that you can hide.

I don't know about you, but you have the image that computer look like this:
    http://www.build-your-own-cheap-computer.com/images/computercasediagram.jpg
    However if you browse around and visit proper sites such as Antec, Lian-Li (which Mac based their design on), and others that doesn't come to my mind, oh and Dell XPS series, you will see the design is very nice, modern, and does not look like cheap plastic like Apple's iMac design that is also very reflective and annoying.
    Now it is just looks, and it varies from a person to a person. Some people love the look of the beige computer on the picture above, others don't. Some people like to paint their walls blood red, some (like me) don't. It's just taste, and it depends what look you are looking for. I might like that blood colored wall if I wanted to get an Asian look, than I would probably order this computer case:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2007/04/23/yuugou_by_greensabbath/13

You are correct, it has colors!!! EEEWWWWWW, White boaring everywhere is the way to go. Windows OS allows you to customize the skin the way you want it. It comes complete with a Hue, brightness, transparency level control. Still not enough? You have Windowblind and other similar application to completely change the design to what you like.

This is not even an argument. Last time I recall, you guys, called Vista looks to be very similar to Apple, just in black. Ok...well even this was true, based on the Google Image 100x150 picture that you saw, so they are both 90's. Also let's not talk about Apple laptop, it's been how many years they didn't even change the design? Yea... getting old...FAST.

Well at least Microsoft have a design theme, unlike Apple they didn't fire them and stuck with one look. And what has to do with anything, at all. Do you work faster because the design look nice? No!

If you used it, you will see that the transparency really helps at managing your windows around, and save space. On XP with Classic theme, I really needed a secondary monitor, now I don't. Also, it is design for Tablet PC (something that Apple can dream of having) in mind. Now you can navigate your OS with your finger easily. Also you don't have to pin point at that exact pixel to click on something such as an icon. An approximation will work. No target practice required.

Go use Vista for real, and you will see what Vista can do. So far you based a book by it's cover. Shakespeare was a great book, but the cover sucked :)
    Usually, when you have something good it is because you invest more on making it good rather than looks to give an illusion of good. Look at ASUS website, it's ugly, slow, and bad, but they make great products. Look at Creative websites, cool website, but awful product that doesn't work properly. If instead they invested that marketing money in making their product better, their users would be much happier.

I don't know what you said, I'll give you a chance to express yourself here. As so far you don't have any valid arguments.

So why you complain at the design?! If you say that it is that you don't care about design, and instead of talking about design and looks, you could have presented argumentation on technologies each OS uses, and present the OS that is better. That would have been an awesome argumentation.

Isn't that MAC OS? I mean it has the longest animations compared to all OS out there. It's almost like watching a movie.

Well noted :)

Believing oneself to be perfect is often the sign of a delusional mind. ;)

15. GoodBytes

@Sc0rian, Ah good, at least that was done fixed at an acceptable speed.
    Hope that you mother enjoys it.

16. OleJ

OleJ Me!

ROFL!!! I can't believe you spent that much time quoting and /quoting my above post :D

I think in short you are the arch type of an engineer :D You buy your hardware store hammer and I'll buy my Hello Kitty hammer. LOL

Edit: Oh and I don't know who "you guys" are? I'm speaking my opinion as a design aware techie running linux, windows and osx. I know what a computer is. You sound a bit like someone is breathing down your neck with unbearable truths. I'm sorry if my post offended you it was not meant as a broadside against you.

17. GoodBytes

Long live Copy & Pastes :)

You did not offend me, I was just tired to read all those comments and (like you) release the facts once and for all.
    I don't mind what each user uses, it's all very good. It is that too many times argumentation is not well expressed and it just sound like: "Linux is awesome, because it's awesome!" and similar stuff in that direction. Like I said, if an argumentation (although it would have been a completely new thread), been about which OS offers the best technology for one, than that would be, perhaps the first time, a proper comparison and representation of which solution best fit a person needs.

18. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

GoodBytes; holy mother of long posts!

And a quick note; I've always thought you can use Apple Mighty mouse and the keyboard also on Windows machines... And actually I have also used apple keyboard in a XP rig. I don't want to run in your parade, but there's no reason why to buy "Stupid looking lol ugly and so passé Logitechs" for PCs if you want the Apple stuff.

BTW: I use my XPs and Vistas W2K pro-looking, am I a true engineer now?

19. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

You sir, don't know how wrong you are. And I'm guessing you have never worked in carpentry or roofing. There are hammers, and then there are hammers. You may wander in and buy a cheap ass hammer because it puts the nail in the wall, some of us buy real hammers.

Like with anything, there are tools that work; and tools that make working easier and more pleasurable. Like a Mac.

20. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Fixed your typo there. ;)

How about everyone just using what her or him serves best and we're done with these discussions? Yes, even though apples are overpriced and overhyped.

Tags: