1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OS Does Not Recognize New Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Arthur2Sheds, 1 Dec 2006.

1. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

This thread could go here, Windows or Tech Support, so feel free to move at will. Thanks!

I just installed two new Maxtor MaXLine hard drives (Ultra IDE, not SATA as indicated by the link).

When I first booted up, Windows went crazy identifying new drives, IDE controllers, and kitchen sinks. It then prompted me for a reboot. When it came back up, there was no sign of the new drives in My Computer or in the Disk Management service. I changed the BIOS to allow secondary IDE drives, rebooted, and still got nothing.

I have the jumpers on both drives set to 'Cable select'.

I've checked all my connections, etc., and can't find anything wrong.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. customh

customh conflagration.

Why did you buy maxtor first off...anyways, try a Linux live cd? See if it sees them then. Then check RAID settings, ports and the like. My usual thing is if the live cd doesnt see them then its a bios setting or hardware or jumpers.

3. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

Thanks for the response. I have an Ubuntu Live CD at home, so if I can get into work this weekend, I'll try it.

I changed the jumpers so that one drive is Master and the other Slave. No difference.

Any other ideas?

4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

are they formatted? I've had this issue where there BIOS will see them but not the OS until they have been formatted.

5. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

Maxtor has a utility you're supposed to run to format them, but it can't find the drives.

If they're not one of the boot drives, Windows can't see them, and they aren't showing up in Disk Management, how do I format them?

6. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

i dont know how you do it without a CD, howver if you have an OS bootable CD, have the disc run on startup, and youll be taken to a partition and boot devices screen. from here you should be able to format the hard drives, and then exit.

7. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

bios doesnt see it either? Try unplugging all other IDE devices (apart from one optical) make them both masters on different cables and see what happens. If bios doesnt see it then, RMA.

8. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

Thanks for the responses. People have shown up to work, so it'll be tonight or tomorrow before I can try these ideas, but I'll let you know how it goes.

9. customh

customh conflagration.

I would set the drives to cable select also.

10. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Your cable may be playing up, make sure master is on the end, slave middle, can the motherboard is connected to the long end

11. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

Check. No joy.

Check. No joy.

I appreciate the help, though.