1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our House... today's column

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 26 Jul 2004.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Skutbag

Skutbag What's a Dremel?

Wow what a premonition! I'm actually in Edinburgh at the moment working at a fringe venue and what youre talking about is exactly what i was thinking: Isnt it great to stay in touch with everyone even though I'm 100s of miles away? It only took the IT guys here a day ore so to get some old macs set up and now we can all check our emails and stuff.

If anyone is coming to the fringe this year, be sure to (PLUG) check out C venues, theyve got the second most shows in the fringe and you can see some of my handiwork at set building, painting, all sorts of s...t. (PLUG OVER)

I think the next big thing will be matter transmission so you can not just talk to someone, but slap them in the face too!

Anyway, see yall later!

3. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Wrong link Haz?
    "http://www.bit-tech.net/article/19"
    "Sorry, but the bit-tech database can not match any categories named 19"

I think you meant:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/column/19

4. RTT

RTT #parp

Sorted link :)

5. JK23

JK23 What's a Dremel?

I totally agree....

Location is no longer the key to business or communication with friends....

A brief background.... I moved to Stuttgart in the south of Germany in Feb this year with the idea of getting a job out here (it didn't happen but that's a VERY long story). My wife is here doing a 6 month internship and I decided that I wanted to be here too so I sold my car (AHHHHH!! BMW 328i Convertible - I still weep :sigh: ) and here I am...

Now the mrs works all day and we got a DSL connection sorted via the local bods at T-Comm and I yapp all day via MSN, Email, SKYPE, ICQ and even TXT messaging..... If i didn't have all of this to stay in touch with my friends etc... then I honest think they would be taking me away from here in a white coat! :worried: I am coming back to the UK at the end of next month and moving to Birmingham, This would usually present a serious problem in terms of getting a job, arranging accomodation etc... but with all the tools at my disposal this is no problem at all, it is as if I was still in Surrey and doing the various research from there. I even watch my favourite UK T.V. shows courtesy of Supanova etc...

The bottom line is that I for one have to agree that the ever growing convergance of Comms and the web can only be the best thing to happen for a very long time!! It's great for all unless you work for British Telecom - lol :D

JK23

6. ~Nitro

~Nitro What's a Dremel?

this is fine, if you have dsl, in australia not all of our exchanges have adsl so only a few people can get it, me living in remote australia cannot, i am stuck with my isdn

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The only problem with global communication at the touch of a button is you assume everyone speaks english (well generally english-speaking people do anyway).

8. jcm44

jcm44 What's a Dremel?

I tend to disagree with the general concensus that the internet is improving communication. I have several friends that can type my fingers off on aim, but they can't carry on a face to face conversation. I think most of the business people I talk to and work with would agree nothing can replace talking with someone face to face.

I am an accountant and I have plants all over the US that I am responsible for. Sure we have Netmeeting, webcams, and conference phones, but nothing can replace meeting someone, shaking their hands, and having them show you around. Sure its a lot cheaper to make a phone call, but the level of understanding you gain by actually meeting someone and having a conversation with them is invaluable.

The internet may work for tech related businesses, but it won't work in all of them. And I noticed a big difference when I moved from Indiana to Minnesota.

Tags: Add Tags