1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Output voltage of audio jack

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Devil_H@ck, 6 Jun 2003.

1. Devil_H@ck

Devil_H@ck What's a Dremel?

Can someone measure for me how much current goes through an audio jack. So just measure right channel -> ground & left channel -> ground.
    They'll be the same probably, but you never know.

I need this quickly and can't measure it here myself, pls help me!

2. hk

hk Powered By Duracell

Surely that depends on the signal being pumped down the cable that the jack is connected to ? Or am I not understanding what you are saying properly ?

3. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

I *want* to say 1.25v, but I have no way of verifying this. Plus, you have to understand that the voltage varies along with the audio signal being passed through it as well.

What you could do is look for a VU meter guide and see what the voltage reference level is set at for the LM3915 chip.

4. Devil_H@ck

I know that it will vary, but I don't think it will vary that much, not like between 5 and 12.
    I need to know because I'm using a hex schmitt NOT port and the output depends on the voltage given to the input.

5. eaterofpies

eaterofpies What's a Dremel?

it really depends on the hardware i think

IIRC
    my old cheap soundcard pumped out a whopping 1v while my newer sblive! puts out around 5v

both at highest volume with no earpnones connected

6. Devil_H@ck

Hm, ok, I guess I'll have to go and search for my multimeter somewhere then :).

7. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

You can actually feel the current coming from some headphone jacks on hi-fi's, but when i measure them with my voltmeter they always read around 8 volts or less. Strange how I can feel them.

8. eaterofpies

eaterofpies What's a Dremel?

u can probably feel it cos its ac and so constantly changing while dc u wont notice it cos its not changing and will feel different ne way cos u are holding something

9. Devil_H@ck

Oh it's AC, I was thinking that already, because I measured 0.015v DC when I didn't play anything and between 0.015 & 0.040 when I played songs on Winamp :rolleyes:.

Hm, that kinda sucks, I don't think the auto-mode in my circuit will work, because it's AC.
    Damn :sigh:. Does anyone know a way to solve that?