1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclock Info

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bajastx, 16 Jan 2003.

1. bajastx

bajastx What's a Dremel?

Where can I go to find overclocking wrietups?

Specifically the difference in raising/lowering multipliers vs. increasing FSB.

Also, exactly how to unlock XP2600+.

2. zackerouac

zackerouac bring it

tweak3d has some articles aboot it...not sure if it talks about the 2600 though

3. bajastx

bajastx What's a Dremel?

Hmmm... 23 views seems quite low.

Anyhow. Out of the 23 nobody has an answer?

4. olv

olv he's so bright

What you have to understand is that there is no set way, rules or science when it comes to overclocking. Overclocking is just getting more cycles out of your CPU wether it be via multiplier increase or FSB. Multiplier is just increasing clock speed but FSB increases the speed of everything.

Generally people go for the highest FSB because then you get more speed out of graphics card, pci cards, ram etc... and generally you can get a better overclock with FSB by lowering the multiplier.

So as a vague guide what you want to aim for is highest FSB with a low multiplier and as low voltage as you can manage. Some CPU's may take a Core voltage of 2 to sustain a certain clock speed whereas another CPU rated the same may only take 1.85v or something. Its really the luck of the draw.

Just be prepared to experiment a little and reset your BIOS a lot lol :p

hope this helped

5. bajastx

bajastx What's a Dremel?

Yes it did. Thank you very much.

I just didn't know why sometimes I hear that it's better to lower your multiplier and other times I read that it's better to raise it.

Thanks a lot.