1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Overclock problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by 27trowels, 26 Feb 2011.

1. 27trowels

27trowels What's a Dremel?

So my e6600 has spent most of its life overclocked at 2.9 until last year when i had a full windows fail and had to do a fresh install and I took the processor back to stock. This morning I overclocked it up to 3.2 (still pretty moderate overclock for the chip) and its stable and happy.

I have had one problem which I hoped someone might be able to explain and put my mind at rest. When I came back into windows my wireless connection wouldn't work (the connection itself was fine as it worked on phone and laptop) The problem was the "Windows Wireless Service" wouldn't start. I'm not sure how but I eventually managed to get it to start working but I am a little worried I have done something wrong during the OC and that I may be sitting on a larger problem without knowing what it is.

Has anyone ever had this problem or come across something similar on the net?

Running Vista 32 home premium BTW.

Cheers for any insight you can provide.

2. Deders

Deders Modder

Did you do a 24 hour stability test with prime95 after overclocking?

3. 27trowels

no just an hour - will put it on over night see if it is really stable. Temp wise it maxed at 50 at full load so don't think thats the issue. Appears to be ok right now not sure what else to try.

4. Deders

Deders Modder

It's not so much the temps, it might not have enough voltage to make accurate calculations. I'd do a blend as that will test some of your memory for stability too.

1 hour really isn't enough to be sure about stability, the last unstable run of Prime64 that I ran before it passed 24 hours was somewhere between 18 and 23 hours

5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

There's no way that overclocking would affect the wireless settings. It' more likely a pure coincidence that you were overclocking when the wireless problem started. Make sure the overclock is stable , thats got to be done no matter what and treat the connection problem as a totally separate issue.

6. Deders

Deders Modder

It could be a coincidence, or the overclocked CPU might be giving out incorrect calculations when the program loads.

Best way to find out is to set the overclock back to default.

If it is a PCI wireless card then it could be that the PCI bus isn't locked at 33/66MHz which would make anything on the PCI bus run faster and possibly out of sync. You can check the bios to see if there is a setting for it.

7. bulldogjeff

Good point about the PCI card, but it should be set at a fixed speed by default as the wireless will be doing it's own thing regardless of what speed the rest of the system is running.

I'd be tempted to reinstall all the wireless drivers and take it from there at least that way you knowless is running correctly and the if it's still playing up go for the windows wireless setting.

8. Deders

Deders Modder

It should be but not all bios' have it locked by default. It used to cause issues with my soundcard, I had to get a bios update to fix it as there didn't seem to be an option in the bios.

9. bulldogjeff

Thats odd...maybe I've just been lucky with my choice of hardware/mobo and it's always just worked. It's not something that I've ever had trouble with. I've got 2 PC's in the house on wireless cards and both are overclocked. Thinking about it, they are both AMD rigs so maybe they are set up slightly differently.

10. Deders

Deders Modder

Depends on what the FSB/Hypertransport or QPI clock actually controls, my last AMD (AM2+) rig had the option to lock it to 33/66 in the bios.

11. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

I thought it was only the PCI-Express speed that was locked? No? Is it pci as well? Or am i being dumb and they are linked or one and the same?

12. Deders

Deders Modder

The PCI-Express bus is usually locked at 100 anyway, the PCI bus is as seperate bus that has needed locking when overclocking for as long as I can remember.

13. 27trowels

Think the wireless thing must have been pure coincidence or possibly something crapped out due to one of the unstable restarts. Appears to be working fine now. Wireless is coming through a usb adapter not pci.

I left prime on for longer and it did crap out on me after a couple of hours. Upped voltage a little and will leave prime on overnight. Might post the bios settings if this doesn't work as getting it to 2.9 three years ago is my only OC experience and i'm not sure I remember everything. Want to make sure everything is as it should be. Just filling time before board and CPU upgrade later in year but would suck to loose the rig before that happens by cooking something.

Cheers for the help