1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Overclocked Orange

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 27 May 2009.

1. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

I agree with many of the others... The computer looks incredible, but I am not really all that impressed...

The only mods that I noticed that were actually done by the builder is the cut for the radiator in the top of the case, the polishing of the full cover water block, changing of the LED color on the fan controller, dismantling the case (only to send it off to be powder coated by someone else), braiding the power supply cables, and putting stickers on the case. Really nothing spectacular in my book...

I am not saying that I could do better and I am very happy for David to have such a nice computer. I just believe that great mods are ones that involve large amounts of time, effort, and skill, not just having large amounts of money to throw at parts and services. Sadly to say, in my eyes, this mod is not one that falls into that category.

I feel bad saying this, but I felt that I needed to voice my opinion. As mrb_no1 said, it is most likely jealousy that is speaking through this post, so disregard it if you don't agree with me.

Last edited: 28 May 2009
  2. Tim S

Tim S OG

For those of you hating, we could go back to publishing less mods from the community, but I thought you wanted more? At least, that has been the vibe through the community in the past 6 months or so.

We're making a concious effort to publish more modding articles and dedicating more space to it in the magazine as well. The idea is to offer more support to the community through the contacts both bit-tech and Custom PC have - which is what the community has requested. Readers Drives, for example, is pretty well sponsored and in order to qualify for that now, you have to have posted your worklog on the bit-tech forums. In addition to that, we're working to improve Mod of the Month as well in that regard which, as you know, requires your worklog to be on these ere pages.

It's as if I can't win. :sigh:

3. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

+1..

It looks nice, but there have been far better.

4. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

Woah Woah Woah there big fella!!! You just keep them coming and you guys are doing a great job! Let the playa's hata's be, there will always be them. But for the other 97% of us, we're more than happy to see great mods/builds grace the pages of Bit-tech.

So just keep doing what you do okay sweetness?

5. Toka

Toka Minimodder

Its good to see cpc articles making their way over to bit-tech towers, but there is a lot more ordering and a lot less modding than we are used to seeing in these sorts of articles.

That the man in question put a lot of effort into the build is without dispute (and I might add, finished with a fantastic machine that anyone would be proud to own) However Im sure you can spot the differences between the modding done in this article and those published at bit-tech previously.

6. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

You must be joking right....please. The list of amazing modders here is almost endless, sure that's a nice case but nothing in comparision to GT69 or Green Sabbath for example.

7. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

I for one found it stunning visually. Not the most complex mod as has been mentioned by many, but does that really matter? It's neat and tidy, visually distinct, a lovely nod at a great book and film.

I love it and applaud the creator and all those who helped.

8. sadlydefiant

sadlydefiant What's a Dremel?

I don't know what to say.
    To much money maybe, does he even play games on it or is it just wasting away as a show system.
    Overkill I think.

9. dark4181

dark4181 Ero-sennin-tebayo

Oh, was there a worklog on this mod? I must have missed it, and I'm interested in reading it. Only thing that comes up in search is the MOTM post

10. themcman1

themcman1 is now 110% win

It's on eBay now. He wants 5K for it.

*shrugs*

11. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Good luck to him, that's not too far off from the more premium system builders, right? I mean, you don't quite get the amazing service they offer, and you get to pay a bit more..

12. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

To be honest half the PCs on MDPC have about 5 or less modifications. As far as I'm concerned there's two things to admire in a case-mod, the skill of the craftman and the case itself and while this is probably not the most impressive build I've seen (remember there's always the little details that you miss which make the mod) but I'm certainly liking the case.

13. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

I second that. There are a lot of great mods on Bit-Tech. The Orac3 mod was the one that got me interested in modding bigtime.

14. patchcable

patchcable Preparing to commence simulation

15. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I love the look of the thing, I really do. But a paint job and stickers, isn't really a mod. Its just a very successful advertising for the companies involved.

16. Omen

Omen What's a Dremel?

Agreed

17. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

It is difficult to get any serious, honest feedback. If you criticize you are labeled a hater and an esteem crusher. At the same time, I suspect that the "Author only" thread view filter is used mainly to skip over the multitude of seemingly disingenuous positive feedback.

There is no growth in a vacuum. Maybe people should seek their self-esteem boost from their mum and not a public forum.

I love the movie A Clockwork Orange and by default I like this project. But personally I prefer the story of the little guy struggling within his means to make something great. After all, what's more impressive, someone who made a project look like it was CNC machined or something that was actually CNC machined?

18. Dosvedagna

Dosvedagna Justice!

I love this design, its simple, sleek, and well co-ordinated in its colour scheme - i admire your skill!

plus im a sucker for clockwork orange... its brilliantly twisted ;)

19. Nic01

Nic01 dark cloud

nice color scheme.. That TJ07 looks really good

20. chumbucket843

chumbucket843 What's a Dremel?

the fittings on the gpu's are a mess.

Tags: Add Tags