1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Overclocked PC Arrived - HELP NEEDED!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Opti, 5 Aug 2010.

1. Opti

Opti What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, just got my new pc home, and im dammed confused.
    As i said before, i had the store perform a "slight" overclock on the pc, and now it arrived at my home. Also he mentioned he had to lower the Memorys to make the overclock stable???
    Im quite the newbie on OC´ing, and quite sincerely, afraid of it. PCU is an i7-930 along with an X58A-UD3R Rev.2, and GSkill 12800 (1600Mhz) CL8 1.6V 3x2048MB.

Now i wish help in knowing if the overclock is performed in the best correct way, something i havent the faintest idea. I will after knowing its good, stress test it, but first i need help with this.

- It arrived home, according to the provider at 3.8GHz.... Is it safe to everyday use on the long run, or is it a bit to far?

- Also seems the CPU is being dinamicly underclocked, CPUz shows it at 2268MHz in idle (Multiplier x12, Bus Speed 189, QPI Link 3402MHz)

Now ill provide the data i feel relevant (but please ask any data required to see if its OC in a good matter):

- CPU Frequency: 3781MHz
    - BCLK - 189MHz
    - Memory frequency: 1512 MHz (8x) (1066)

- VCore 1.376 V
    - DRam Voltage - 1.584 V

- QPI - 6806 MHz (36x)
    - UnCore Frequency - 3781MHz (20x)
    - CPU Clock Ratio - 20x (189x20)

CPU Clock Drive - 800mV
    PCi Express Clock Drive - 900mV
    CPU Clock Skew and IOH Clock Skew - 0 PS

Ill also throw in some Settings in the Bios that caught my eye:
    - QPI Clock Ratio - Auto (6.8GHz)
    - UnCore Clock Ratio - Auto
    - Base Clock Control (BCLK) - Enabled

- Spread Spectrum - Enabled (??I remember reading in CPC than in overcloking this should be set to Disable???)
    - Turbo Boost - Enabled (??Is this suposed to be enabled on overclocking???)

Memory Profile:
    - System Memory Multiplier (SPD) - 8.0
    - Performance Enhance - Turbo
    - DRam Timings Selectable - Auto
    - Profile DDR VOltage - 1.5V

Advance Voltage Settings:
    - Load Line Calibration - Standard
    The rest is all auto?

Isochronous Suport - Enabled??
    Virtualization Tech - Enabled (wont be using VM, should i disable this?

In Bios CPU Temp on idle is 50ºC (A little to high?, althought is hot here in portugal, 34ºC).
    MCH Temp - 53ºC

Also put on the Thermaltake FRIO, on the BIOS the CPU SMART FAN CONTROL is Enabled, and the CPU SMART FAN MODE is AUTO?
    Should i leave the BIOS to control the CPU FAN? If yes, then i should probably set both fans in the FRIO to maximum?

On idle (still havent performed any stress), here are the temps:
    CORE TEMP:
    Tj. MAX 100ºC
    Core 0: 52ºC
    Core 1: 51ºC
    Core 2: 52ºC
    Core 3: 48ºC

Please ask anything more of data you might need to give me your opinion.
    Im really sorry for all this newbie questions, and im really sorry to be bothering you guys, im trying to read what i can, but you guys are experts on this.
    Thx for any and all the help provided, this is the best forum on Hardware on earth, all thx to you guys (A little scrub never harmed anyone :D )
    Again thx and sorry for the long post :wallbash:

2. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

Your idle temperatures are most likely so high because of the ambient temperature in your room. Also, the reason why the PC wasn't stable is probably because the ram is not using 1.6V, and spread spectrum is enabled. Disable that, and then run the ram at 1.6v by entering it in manually to the bios. Also, the Vcore seems quite high for just 3.8GHz. I notice that there is a turbo mode present in the memory profile, and I would consider turning that off or to a standard setting.

I would definitely try reducing the Vcore down to 1.3V and then stress test it with Prime95 for a few hours.

3. Opti

Opti What's a Dremel?

First of all thx for the reply!

About the PC, its quite stable, at least so far.

Now take it from a newbie like me, and help me out a bit more.

First i should disable Spread Spectrum and Turbo Boost, easy enought.

Now the Vcore of 1.376 is too high? Where should i adjust this?
    Should i leave everything in "Advance Voltage Settings" to auto as it is now?
    Load-Line Calibration is set to Standard, i believe its the correct setting right?

Sorry for all the questions, im trying to read everything available, but alot of contradictions out there, and i got no personal experience.

Also will look into the ram.

Again sorry to flood with questions. And thx.

4. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Far over the misty mountains cold

Opti my friend, the best way to know is to drop your CPU in the Jungle and make him survive. For my part, I use LinX to test my Overclocks, 20 Loops of linX is harder than 24hour of Prime 95 and the Temp is really increase.

(before testing make sur your Case is Open and your Fans at full speed)

If your os crash or Freeze, you'll be fixed.

VIP: If you change the voltage, verry important, its by shot of 0.01v.

And again you cant say if an Overclock is stable if you dont have tested it with some stability program.

5. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Has the cpu just got the stock cooler ?? those temps seem a bit high for idle.

bulldogjeff likes this.
  6. Opti

Opti What's a Dremel?

Sorry for the lack of info people, my bad.
    The CPU is equiped with an Thermaltake FRIO.
    Again i advise that here in portugal room temperature is a little hot.

Also sorry for misleading Blackswordsman, the builder told me the OC was stable not me, i just dont want to stress it without knowing the correct settings in bios.

As mentioned the 1.376 VCore seems a bit high. Need to check it out, just not got the balls to mess with it without knowing what im doing.

Again thx for the replys guys.

7. TheBlackSwordsMan

I think its going to be fine around 1.29-1.30v for this CPU.
    and if you have to do a Stresstest put the warning Temp at 70 in the bios. To be safe

Question, what kind of fan configuration do you have ? Is the air flow go in the same way, Is the heat is evacuated effectively ?

Ps: Voltage for a 45nm cpu, do not go above 1.4v

Last edited: 5 Aug 2010
  8. Opti

Opti What's a Dremel?

First i have to apologise people.
    For both the lack of data and for the type of post.

Decided to cut the OC out, now on default.

Basicly i asked the suplier of the PC to overclock it for me.
    Clearly i shouldnt have.

Now before i go messing with anythin in the PC i decided to remove the Overclock and go Stock for the time being.

Current temperatures are of 40ºC on the CPU, but i insist, its very hot in portugal, especcially in my office.

Will take my time in reading the available data for Overclocking this CPU, and will return to you guys (Before i attempt anything) to ask my final doubts.

Again im sorry, i shouldnt start asking stuff before even correctly reading into it.

As for the PC is a Antec Twelve Hundred, Thermaltake Frio, X58A-UD3R Rev2, Radeon 5870, Samsung 1Tb F3 and GSkill CL8 12800 6Gigs.

Again sorry for disturbing, but ill return when i think im ready to try a moderate, low! overclock.
    Thats what one gets by trusting the PC builder, if you want something done correctly, we gotta do it ourselfs.

THX all that replied, as always a top notch forum people.

9. TheBlackSwordsMan

Dont be sorry, and I dont think you disturbing anyone here. You did the good thing by asking
    You have never OC before so its normal that you are nervous about that. But dont give up

I personaly think that 3.8Ghz for this CPU is in the safe zone, without a lot of tweak needed. You only need to overclock it by yourself and learn how work your CPU, try testing try testing.

The Oldschool overclocking isnt an exact science

10. Teelzebub

11. rollo

rollo Modder

you can hit 3.8ghz on default voltages if you know what your doing 1.36 v is high but its not excessive and its so chip dependent

personally 3.4 to 3.6ghz is enough for day to day usage thats were games and most programs cap out in terms of benifit. now benchmarking 4ghz + is really the min people go towards but its totally OTT

12. Opti

Opti What's a Dremel?

Thx for understanding and helping me out guys.
    Ill give it a rest first, lots of things to configure on the new pc, also new to both Windows 7 and a 64bits OS..... Lots of things to learn.

Then ill proceed to read carefully about it, and then possibly try and go for an 3.6Ghz or something.
    Thx for the link btw.

Again thx, will return to bother you guys soon, besides the OC objective, lots of doubts.
    My main fear is of abusing you guys pacience and then go without your great advices.

Thank you.
    :thumb:

13. Teelzebub

We are here to help.

14. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

I think some of your 'problem' stems from the ambient room temps. What is the room temp at 10am, 3pm and 8pm? In the UK at the moment none of those are over 20c. Your OC maybe perfectly fine ...less the 15-20c excess room temperatures compared to more northern climes!