1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Overclockers rev up Apple's Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 3 Feb 2005.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

There's been some interesting discussion in feedback over whether the site should have an Apple specific forum. Some people have been quite vocal in pointing out that people don't mod their macs, or overclock them. Apart from the modding claim being inaccurate, it seems that people do overclock them, and our Wil spills the beans over at the Inq:

FRUITY OVERCLOCKERS have found a way to up the CPU speed on Apple's tiny new Mac Mini.

Incredibly, Apple controls the system speed on its boards with simple jumpers. By disassembling the system, you can alter the jumpers and see how your rig performs. Add some additional cooling and you might just be in for a free upgrade.

The jumper settings suggest to us that there are perhaps some more speed grades of the Mac Mini to come in future months, with up to 1.58GHz apparently being supported by this revision of the board.

Another slice of overclocked pie? follow the L'inquage

2. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Are they serious? jumpers? omg how can apple be that thick. OEMs like dell go out of the way to prevent overclocking of there systems, but Apple just puts it in like its nothing?

3. penski

penski BodMod

You're bitching because something can be overclocked?

People complain that Apples can't be overclocked...then, when proved wrong, they complain that they can...

*n

4. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

No I'm not bitching, actually i wish more would do this. I just find it odd that rather than something complex like re-soldering half the motherboard and a bios flash to overclock, you just change a few jumpers.

5. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

The first gen G4s had jumpers to O/C.

The G4s of yesteryear needed to be soldered with SMD resistors.

G5s... haven't heard much on that.

But this? Well, I better start saving the $500... the Mini totally outspecs my current G4 with everything but memory.

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

They figure 99% of users won't be taking apart their new mac mini so it's not an issue anyways. It doesn't even come close to dell, who not only prevents overclocking but doesn't even attach the AGP slot to boards that have integrated graphics so you're screwed for any sort of upgrade path.

7. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

have you seen how big the jumpers are?

8. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Yeah I think you should read the article Froggy, we are not talking HDD / CMOS battery type jumpers here, follow the linkage and see for yourself ;)

This is cool, I really hope we get an Apple forum at some point because I really want to buy a mac mini once I have the money.

Tags: Add Tags