1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking comp *Results Announced!*

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Highland3r, 16 Mar 2006.

1. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

If thats no use, have an 8 gigger here that I can get posted out Wednesday/Thursday morning (no sooner as I'm travelling back to Leeds tomorrow)

2. c.u.later

c.u.later What's a Dremel?

oh, sorry, I put that in the wrong terms, meant that I couldnt get xp re-installed as it corrupted (not hard drive deathas I called it) and I have installed it as much as it allows. was just meaning that I need to get a full linux distro by tomorrow, plus everything else needed as well, just to be able to enter. sorry for the confusion.

c.u.later

3. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

YGPM

4. Goreblast

Goreblast What's a Dremel?

What do you guys reckon would be the highest safe voltage for the 9600 on highend air cooling? Sitting at 2.75V on memory and 1.325 on GPU - gonna try 2.8 on mem and 1.35 on GPU. No the easiest graphics card to find decent information on past exploits!

5. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

wohoo, finally a use for the stupid temp sensory thing that came with my £15 case, can see what sort of temps it gets and stop before they go too far :) thats if i didnt cut them off, hmm, now did i or didn't i. I can't wait to get back to uni tomorrow to start getting this done, finally time to crack open the tchibo dremel-a-like :)

6. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Mem volts seem to do not much ;)
    Core volts, 1.5-1.55 should be fine. The cards start to artifact badly above 1.6 it seems... Really depends how long you want to keep the card after the competiton :p

7. Goreblast

Will crank her up to 1.35 and 2.8 and see how it goes then. Then go and find my deltas and she how much further I can pus on the core.

8. tank_rider

goreblast, are you finding you can get much extra out of the core by giving it more voltage? just wondering whether it was worth getting the voltmods. Dammit sitting at home 120 miles away from my card and an evening of cooler bodging to the max!!

9. Goreblast

The core inproved by 20-25 going from 1.3 to 1.325V. The memory has only went up 10 going from 2.7 to 2.75V.

If I go much above (2-3 on both gpu and mem) where I am at presently I get severe artifacts - totally unwatchable. If that is increased to 5 more on either gpu or memory I crash. Going to raise voltage again tomorrow.

10. tank_rider

Tank_Rider Stock Results

Finally i'm back at uni and have done the stock results!!

System spec:
    A64 3200+ Venice @ 2.2 on 1.35V, under an AC freezer 64 pro
    EPOX 9NDA3+
    1x512MB corsair value select cl2.5 mem
    80GB maxtor diamond plus 9 7200rpm IDE HD
    LG DVD +-RW/RAM
    cheapo generic 400W psu (with a huge 12A on the 12V rail, feel the power!!)
    and of course
    Volt modded 9600SE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overclocked superpie 1M = 44.0xxs (see stock results for screenshots)

Aquamark 3

2007(gfx), 8459(cpu) = 17941

[​IMG]

3Dmark01

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8954194

[​IMG]

3Dmark03

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=4745900

[​IMG]

Time to get some proper cooling on this card!!

EDIT: Just enlisted the help of a mate with a milling machine :D, time to get some cpu coolers cut and shut!!

Last edited: 18 Apr 2006
  11. Goreblast

I increased the voltage on the GPU core to 1.4V and put a 120mm DELTA fan running at full speed blowing cold air across the card and although I could bench at 20Mhz more on the core I saw a decrease (!!!!!) in the 3dMark01se score. Very odd.

Even increasing the Memory voltage to 1.8 and increasing the memory clock by 10Mhz doesnt increase scores. In fact one run I did the score was 1500 points down on my best despite higher clocks and voltage, mind you the dman thing was artifacting that much you could barely read the score!

I think that I have pushed it too far and should ease off a little to the "sweet spot" I found and try a few other tweaks to increase scores.

Might drop voltage down a bit.

12. Goreblast

tank_rider, there is something wrong with your 3dmark03 compare url. It doesnt link to a radeon 9600 card. Also the 3DMark03 screenshot doesnt have you graphic card clocks shown.

Highland3r, to clarify should you not show the figures above the two sliders and the "Set Clocks" tab to prove clocks, rather than the profiles bit at the top, ie you can change that to whatever you like and unless you hit 'load' it doenst apply them to the card.

13. tank_rider

3dm03 link fixed, and i meant to have the atitool reading on top of the superpie window. The clocks for the 03 run are confirmed in the compare (which you can now see :) )let me know if you need another stock screenie for 01 with the atitool window, the score pretty much shows its at stock though.

14. Goreblast

tank_rider - I had forgotten about that for 03.

I know its at stock, just wanna get all potential issues ironed out before people are posting the overclocked screenshots.

15. tank_rider

thats fair enough, well the cards had the first phase successfully completedwithout issue, the gpu cooler is on, with the worlds loudest fan ever off an old coolermaster AXP heatsink, it was noisy on low, on full bore it's ludicrous, oh well right in the spirit of the competition then :)

I'll re-do the 3dmark screenies later once ive tried a bit of overclocking :)

16. Goreblast

I put a Swifttech chipset cooler on the core - you know the one with the 1cm think copper base and the funny looking pins.

I think my 120mm DELTA wins the loudest fan award. It sounds like a vacuum cleaner. My feet got cold and they where on the pull side of the fan!

17. tank_rider

just had my core over 500!! not even remotely warm either :) Mem starts artifacting on anything over 255 though as its getting too hot i think, best some thermal apoxy ordered for my ramsinks and book another session with my mate with the tools to get them cut down a bit, overestimated the distance between the back of the gfx card and the cpu cooler.

This clocks get me roughly a 40% performance boost as it is though :)

18. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Thats mental, but as i got a stock card im hoping for the high 400's as i allready hit 430's on stock cooling! anyways i have my Vga silencer lined up also i shall be modding a old Skt A hsf to the card and see how far she goes!!!!!

19. Goreblast

Wee question - say for example you get a 30% increase in 3dmark01 score, 40% increase in 3dmark03 score and 35% increase in AM3 score - is an average going to be taken or is one test weighted more than another?

I ask as this is the sort of thing I am finding.

20. Goreblast

tank is yours voltmodded?