1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking comp *Results Announced!*

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Highland3r, 16 Mar 2006.

1. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

atanum, i haven't touched the voltages yet, those are all with stock volts, and the core hadn't hit any sort of ceiling there, i just stopped to re-do my stock bench screenies properly :) Will pick up where i left off in a min. I'm waiting for my housemate to get home before i have access to a multimeter so am not touching the voltage adjustment 'till then.

Gore, yes it is modded :)

stock screenies updated too btw to include proper atitool shots :thumb:

EDIT: It appears 520/255 is about the limit on stock volts, core still has a bit more no doubt, just needs some more juice now, mem will go more with voltage but needs cooling first. Also did some reading on the hynix mem, it's meant to take 2.8V so should be fine up to that at least :)

Last edited: 18 Apr 2006
  2. MR BUNGLE

MR BUNGLE Shoddymodder

ARghhhhh... Damn machine's posessed!!!!!... keeps on turning off randomly!
    - having to bench on my mate Brewer's resurrected Lanparty, after killing the BIOS on my spare Xp board with a bad flash last week: Wasn't sure I would make it!... (Still not sure this board's gonna hold out, it's been playing dead for 6 months, also after a bad flash)

Specs:
    Sempron 2600+ @2200 (275x8) AMD X2 stock hsf
    Lanparty NF3 250gb
    2x256 TwinMOS 3200 @ 220 (8/10) cas2 3/3/8
    trusty 8gig HD
    1x particularly lame 9600se

Finally got the benchies done though:

2001se compare:
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8954227
    [​IMG]

2003 compare:
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=4745905
    [​IMG]

aquamark3:
    [​IMG]

Will try and grab a couple of pics of the borrowed rig later...

Last edited: 19 Apr 2006
  3. tank_rider

Highlandr, how many people are left now the stock benching has been done (the extremepromethia thread is completely devoid of any screenies etc), just wondered how much competition was left!!

4. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Everyone who's listed should be providing stock benchies. Some of the participants work though, so have less time to devote to this.
    Will chase people up today for stock results. I'll post stock scores later today, once the spreadsheets updated.

Overclocked scores can be submitted from today chaps, you've got 10 days to get everything you can outta the cards :D
    Noticed a question on scoring, each of the benchmarks carry an equal weight your score will be the individual scores from each test added together.

5. Goreblast

Goreblast What's a Dremel?

This will be way ahead of everyone else, but I have reached the limit of this card so am posting my final scores now.

The below scores were obtained by raising the core voltage to 1.325 and the memory voltage to 1.75. I went a lot higher - 1.5/2.8 but couldnt even reproduce the scores previously obtained let alone better them. Memory seems to be the major limiting factor; for instance at 1.5V on the core and memory at stock speeds I was able to complete AM3 runs at 640 Mhz on the core!!! But increasing memory speed led to so many articfacts that scores either went down or pc froze.

The sweet spot for me was 540/270.

3DMark01

Overclocked score = 11268 = 49.00% increase over stock score
    compare URL = http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8952867

[​IMG]

3DMark03

Stock score = 3036 = 57.14% increase over stock score
    compare URL = http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=4743104

[​IMG]

AquaMark3

Stock score = GFX 3039, CPU 12353, TOTAL 27060
    This gives a 59.53% increase over the stock GFX score

[​IMG]

6. tank_rider

Nice scores gore!!

Looks like i really need to get the voltages adjusted!! Have you got any pics of the cooling you had on the card?

7. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Stock results added to first page. Can anyone who hasnt submitted please do so ASAP

8. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Im starting to find the limits of my card, its amazing how much is avail in these cards. I surprised that i was able to hit 9K+ marks on 01, but also im dissapointed that my plans to use a vga silencer was dashed, i have put it on but as there arnt any plug for the power for the silencer the adaptor i bought from maplin way underpowered the silencer and isnt working at full capacity.

Well it looks like i gotta do a ghetto mod on a old Skt A heatsink.

9. tank_rider

quick preview of what i have got/planned for my card cooling wise :)

[​IMG]

10. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

11. tank_rider

Highladr, any chance you can link to the other forum threads which this is being done in, i'd be interested to see other people's setups etc.

Cheers

12. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

13. Goreblast

Goreblast What's a Dremel?

Here is a picture of the cooling used for the graphics card.

[​IMG]

The above was used for the scores I have already posted; it also had a 120mm fan blowing cold air at it.

Then after I increased the voltage, I removed the setup from the test rig I was using and laid it out for better air circulation. I also replaced the stock Swiftech fan with a 60mm Delta as shown below.

[​IMG]

But alas I could get the core speed higher as already noted (right up to 640 without the system crashing in 2D, but the moment 3D benching started the screen went all funny green squares) but couldnt get it to bench any better.

I have made a page about the whole competition on my website if you wanna have a look - linky - http://www.goreblast.com/radeon9600.htm

14. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Tank....any tips on how to drill the holes to use a old Skt A hsf on the gpu?

Also Iiyama visionmaster pro 454 4TW!!! :rock: :rock:

15. tank_rider

Gore, nice little setup, i need to get some mem cooling sorted ASAP, the front of the card is easy, its the back which has to fit between the card and the cpu cooler thats getting me, ho hum, all good fun :)

Atanum, i had to chop bits off the side of the cpu cooler so it fit between the largest caps, then used some engineers blue (blue marking gunk) to mark where the caps were then drilled holes where thet touched the 'sink (you could use thermal paste etc, i didn't have any on me). The for drilling and tapping the holes to hold it on, put the cooler over the core (with holes over caps) and mark on the base with a scribe where the bolts need to go, then just drill and tap them. I had to use an imperial screw and tap as M3's were too big and wouldn't have left any wiggle room for slightly off bolting holes. I'm then using the back off a vga silencer to push the core against the cooler and stop the card bending.

Anyone got any ideas as to where i can get some thermal sticky pads/thermal epoxy to stick the ramsinks on with?

P.S You know the Pro 454 rocks :) best £40 i ever spent :D

16. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Mix 1/3 araldite (or another slow(ish) drying glue) with 2/3rds thermal paste. Should do the job fine.

17. MR BUNGLE

MR BUNGLE Shoddymodder

Cooling's coming along now...
    (Good job, cos my card is reluctant to clock on stock cooling, no matter how much I swear at it!)
    Goreblast : Touche on the Swiftech front!
    [​IMG]

Gotta work out how to chop and mount that beast now!

18. tank_rider

Hmm, i'm getting some really strange results. I've managed to get 3046 in AM3, but my 3dm01 scores aren't getting anywhere near those of gore at 10100 being my best. I'm just running an 03 now to see what thats like, it seems almost like the cpu is limiting the increase in 01 :S

19. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

What clocks are you running for 10k?

20. MR BUNGLE

MR BUNGLE Shoddymodder

Highland3r - BTW, what sorta core clocks are you seeing under phase mate?
    - Be nice to have something to aim for!