1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Overclocking Intel's Core 2 Quad Q6600

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 25 Jul 2007.

1. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

2. Dogers

Dogers What's a Dremel?

D'oh! :duh:
    *kicks RSS client*

3. poz235

poz235 What's a Dremel?

Mine is stable at 3.6

I'm using the EVGA 680sli-A1 w/p30 bios, and have the Q6600 running my system stable at 3.6ghz (400x9, or 1600fsb) on air (thermalite 120 extreme)--granted, as case fans I'm using two four-inch monsters, which I got at a fish store and are made to cool metal-halide fixtures. I've scored 19,200 in 3d mark 06 at this speed (with a pair of 8800GTX's and the ram timings lowered to 3-3-3-10), but I have not run any severe tests like prime95--and don't plan to. The system does not crash or act funny when I do anything from audio conversions to playing Oblivion for hours; so for me, that's stable enough. My temps hover around 35c to 37c at idol (27c @ stock speeds/voltages), and hit a bit above 50c during 3dmark06. One of these days I'm going to switch to watercooling and and switch between the q6600 and a 6850, but that's only when I have time to custom design an efficent WC rig.

4. rufiosab

rufiosab What's a Dremel?

Quick question:
    I'm overclocking my q6600 now and i was trying to test it using prime95 but I can only get 1 instance to run at anyone time, how did you manage to get 4 running?

5. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

Awesome - welcome to the forums :thumb:

7. shengqichen

shengqichen What's a Dremel?

HI iam new to this forum as i would like to purchase a Q6600. and just wondering can i get other branded motherboard with intels P35 chip?? will they be the same performance or will it be worst??? if there is can i get some suggestion please AND is there other chip set that can be used with Q6600 ??? or is P35 the best one on the market thank you . And on ur test it clearly showed that the P35 chip is better to run higher clock speed then Nvidia s chip but over all which is better??? as i don't understand much between these two thanks.

Last edited: 5 Sep 2007
  8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Hi and Welcome,

Check these: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=138935
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=137725
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=138572

Either P35 or nForce 680i is usually the one to go for. Different motherboards will give you different options to overclock, you can search through our motherboard reviews to see our overclocking and the options on every board to determine which features are right for you. Nvidia boards have SLI for example, P35 has Crossfire. You don't need an expensive motherboard as the Abit IP35-E or Gigabyte GA-P95-DS3R work also very well but you get less features. The Asus Blitz Formula is a republic of gamer board and is very expensive in comparison to other P35 boards but you get a LOT of BIOS options for overclocking and features built in like temperature probes.

9. 8igdave

8igdave Counting down the days to November!

Id Bit-TECH going to do a review on the Q6600 Go and compare it to the B3? i think that would be a good review.

10. kitt

kitt Michael Knight

Great article, im seriously looking at getting this chip in the near future.

11. shengqichen

shengqichen What's a Dremel?

THanks for the help

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Not much point considering a CPUs overclock is never guaranteed - we'd need to take several from several batches and test a whole load for an average.

13. 8igdave

8igdave Counting down the days to November!

Is a shame. But ok then. Do you actually pay for the hardware you use or do you get given it free?

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Free. Usually (long term) loans. We're big enough now to require a ton of hardware on a regular basis. Depending on what's being reviewed at once between ourselves and TR we can have anything up to eight or nine rigs on the go at once. We've got to cover memory, CPUs, chipsets, graphics (high and low), sound, etcetc

Generally stuff comes and goes all the time, and our work PCs are really crap compared to what we test with! Haha :D :)

15. Icemanoc

Icemanoc What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I'm new to this board but you all seem to know what you're talking about so i figured must be a good place to get advice :D

I have a new PC and I'm having trouble getting the overclock past 2.9GHz.

SPECS:
    Q6600 @2.9
    2GB PC6400 OCZ Reaper RAM (4-4-4-15)
    EVGA 680i
    2x MSI 8800gts 320MB OC edition
    Thermaltake V1 CPU cooler
    500GB Seagate HDD
    NZXT LEXA Blackline case (3x120mm fans)
    ANTEC Quattro 850W PSU

Now at 2.9 GHZ i can run the new multicore Prime95 torture test stable for 12 hours (I cancelled after the 12 hours) but when i bump the CPU to 3ghz the pc is unstable. Temps are all fine (at 2.9ghz i get 35 idle 50 load(55 during a really hot day), @3 i get 37 idle 54 load(59 during a really hot day)) remembering i live in Singapore and the ambient temps can be as high as 34c. The MB temp never gets above 38 even after 12 hours of prime 95. This leads me to believe Temps are not the limiting factor as they are well within limits for this CPU (you may like cooler but it's kind of hard to achieve much cooler with the ambient so high and my hatred of watercooling(long story).

I've tried upping voltages, relaxing ram timings although i run in Unlinked mode) i followed the nVidia overclocking guide to the letter, i'm just all out of ideas. i don't see how 100mhz can take a CPU from rock solid stable to utter shambles regarless of how much i increase the voltage it just won't get stable.

Have i got a poor overclocking chip:wallbash:? or is the something i can do to increase the oc?

Thanks in advance!

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

can i ask what is your q6600's revision number? B3 or G0?

but that shouldn't affect you from going to 3Ghz. what CPU voltages have you been up to?

17. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Can you list your voltages? What have you set the NB voltage at? Have you tried linking the RAM with the FSB?

18. Icemanoc

Icemanoc What's a Dremel?

CPU is a G0 stepping. My motherboard BIOS is P30.

Full voltages at 2.9GHz:
    CPU: 1.3V
    FSB: 1.4V (using auto)
    RAM: 2.0V (using EEP/SLI Ready enabled)
    Nforce: 1.5V
    AUX: 1.5V
    HT: 1.2V
    PCI-E:1.25V

Trying to get 3ghz stable I pushed voltages to 1.45. I'm unwilling to apply much more voltage than that, since I think it would push temps over the edge.

Rail Voltages for you to look at:
    3.3V -> min 3.22 max 3.33
    5V -> min 4.97 max 5.04
    12V -> min 12.03 max 12.09

Last edited: 13 Sep 2007
  19. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Try turning off the EEP/SLI on the memory. I've heard (although, as you can see from my sig, I've no relevant experience yet) that this can cause instabilkity on overclocking.

I am slightly concerned at you not being able to get more than 2.9GHz from a G0 Q6600 though. Cos I'm intending on getting one of these puppies and taking it straight to 3GHz by increasing the FSB to 333MHz (in smaller increments obviously).

It could be that you have a bad chip. I dunno.

Andy

20. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

may be it's because of the EVGA 680i's fault? try updating the bios to the latest version.

Tags: Add Tags