1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Overclocking Intel's Core 2 Quad Q6600

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 25 Jul 2007.

1. Kosh

Kosh New Member

Yeah, 3 case fans and then a Artic 7 that was recommended to me by someone probably my tech better.

I guess I'm a bit mystified on the temp issues. I've read that this chip or that chip is rated to a certain max range, and the same with some motherboards, but I have no clue what this means in practicality. Some people have told me that operating at load like 55c will take 8 years off the life of the proc, but I have no clue how long they're rated for anyway.

I also have people tell me that overclocking isn't worth it period because of the gains vs hardware damage, but like I've said countless times...

I'm an infant at this.

K

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Five hours is fine - you have a great overclock there :thumb:

Don't listen to the BS people go on about "processor deaths" - I've never known a processor to die and I've never known someone to keep a CPU overclocked more than a couple of years. Usually post-life in a main system they'll do some menial task elsewhere at stock.

55C is absolutely fine, don't stress about it.

3. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

i only tested for an our with prime 95. maybe an hour, my system is stable. never crashes. running 3.0ghz with a b3 stepping, not the g0. Thermaltake maxorb cooler helps with the temps. antec 900 takes care of the rest.

4. Kosh

Kosh New Member

So, new issue.

Prime95 hasn't failed, the temps seem ok but everytime I go and play COD4 for about an hour my machine just shuts off and reboots.

I can play World in Conflict without this happening, so is that an application thing? I'm guessing not since the actual machine reboots.

Do I need to lower the OC? Or?

Thanks,
    K

5. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

sorry for not reading the thread, but have you tested the ram?

6. Kosh

Kosh New Member

Well I can't say I know how to test the RAM per say but sure I /can/ if I know how.

Oddly enough this seems to be an issue ONLY with Call of Duty 4. Crysis, World in Conflict, Supreme Commander or any other slew of games work fine under the OC but COD4 just shuts the computer down.

Thoughts?

7. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

RAM testing is easily performed using Memtest. It does a thorough test of memory (and stresses the CPU a little too) and will run through a series of tests to see if there are any errors. Let it loop for about 2-3 hours (even better is overnight) and see whether there are any errors.

Oh, yes, the DDR 745 speed you referred to above will be due to the RAM running in sync with your 371MHz FSB speed. When I get my Q6600, if I get that sort of OC I'll be well happy!

I'd drop down the OC a bit and then see if your system is still crashing out.

Andy

Last edited: 21 Jan 2008
  8. Nictron

Nictron Member

I don't know if anyone answered you yet, but I have the combo that you suggested above with a Q6600, I reached 3Ghz without a problem no voltage increases at all, I just unlinked my ram and pushed the FSB up, I have not tried going higher than that because 3Ghz is overkill already, and it run like a dream.

9. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Hi, also dunno if you got a reply, I use a combo with the Asus P5NE32-E SLI with
    Q6600 G0 CPU @3150mhz and 1400mhz FSB.
    Link to pic with temp, voltage and clock settings, please note that the voltages shown are those that have been set in the bios manualy, under the overvoltage section.

10. atomicvai

atomicvai New Member

I've found that 3.15ghz spot to be the perfect speed for my combo. This is with all stock voltages, runs 24/7.

Asus P5W-DH (Added active cooling to NB and SB) Antec P-182 Case
    Q6600 @ 3.15ghz (350x9) Scythe Ninja Rev B (50 deg max load)
    2x2gb OCZ PC6400 @ 875mhz (I think thats the number, I'm at work) 5-5-5-12
    GT8800 with HR03GT @ 750/1900/950 (48 deg max load)
    2 x 250gb WD SATA RAID 0
    Enermax Noisetaker II - 600W

As soon as I start to push past that though, even upping voltages etc I can't seem to get anything stable. I had an e6600 on it before and could hit 3.6ghz (400x9, hot but stable with upped voltages), so I'm guessing this processor just doesn't want to go any faster. Maybe it's a motherboard limitation? Who knows. I've thought about upgrading the board to a P35 or X38, but I just don't know if that would really make a difference. Any thoughts? Also, what's peoples thoughts on pushing ram past its recommended voltage (mine is 2.2v thinking of trying 2.3 or 2.4 to get to 933mhz)?

11. TheJerk

TheJerk New Member

Hi all!

Both new to OC and new to the fantastic well of knowledge this forum turned out to be!

I am new to OC and I would be extremely grateful to get just a few simple "no problem" or "hell no, don't" on the following plan.

Getting my new rig in a week or two, this is what it looks like:

-Corsair Powersupply 750W Black,ATX/EPS,140mm Fan, 8xSATA, SLI
    -Asus P5E, X38, Socket-775, DDR2, ATX,Firewire, GbLAN, 2xPCI-Ex(2.0)x16
    -Q6600
    -Asetek LCLC BU 1CPU Liquid Cooling,Sealed 12V.
    -Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 4096MB CL5, Kit w/two matched CM2X2048-6400 Dimm's

Seeing as most ppl seem to run into trouble either with cooling or mobo-issues, this should be a good setup for OC I thought.

Ok, the question: leaving multiplier and ram settings alone, upping volts by 10 or 15%, where would I aim the FSB?

If I am not mistaken, FSB=350 gives 3,15Ghz. 400 would give roughly 3,8 GHz. What will the setup take without additional bridge-cooling? Anyone out there with experience of clocking this CPU on that mobo?

Thanks!

12. TheJerk

TheJerk New Member

As a sidenote, FSB=400 doesn't even exceed the maximum bus-speed for the mobo, and liquid cooling should fix the upped voltage. That would mean that 3,6 GHz even sounds reasonable. One test i read upped the FSB on a quad to 460, stable.

However, ppl here with supposedly descent rigs have had trouble clocking significantly more modest than this would suggest. It seems a bit too... well, random is the word I guess.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Welcome!

From what you've spec'd sounds good - although don't "expect" a final outcome - you could equally get a crap ocing chip just like a good one, regardless of voltage and cooling.

There's lots of Q6600 ocing and spec threads in the hardware forum - try reading a few of those to see if they have some answers too :)

14. TheJerk

TheJerk New Member

Thanx!

Thought I'd just follow up on my post. Did the bold (stupid?) move of just jumping straight to 333 MHz FSB (gives 3,00 GHz), and upped the VCore to 1,300 in one go. Works like a charm, np whatsoever. Raised the score in 3dmarks06 by over 1k. Max temp on any core I noticed is 67, generaly loads 60-65 and thats with ambient temps @ 25 degrees celsius.

Tried 350 MHz FSB and had one crash after a couple of hours of gaming, prolly lack of voltage. Since the watercooling is internal (sucks chassi air through the radiator) and the chassi also holds a hot GTX 8800, Im gonna install two new 12cm case-fans today to see if i can up the VCore a bit more and get stable at higher frequencies.

Anyway, the message being, with a descent mobo and cooling, you can get an 20-25% more Hz just by spending 3 minutes in the BIOS. Gotta love it!!

15. miggittymacdaddy

miggittymacdaddy New Member

Simply Amazing. I new to most of this, but for it to be written so that a laymen such as myself can learn, much appreciated. I have a question that may have been answered after the first few pages, when I could read no longer! lol. I am running the 6600, 780i, with 8gb of g.skill pc2-8000. I just got done putting it together(my first system), and have a question about the memory. With that amount of memory, is there a need to increase any of the voltages, or does that not matter whatsoever?

16. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Welcome miggittymacdaddy,

I am aware of some 680i chipsets that required a mem voltage boost with just 4gb ram to even post without overclocking, something of which i hope was addressed in the 780i chipset.
    However if your board is booting fine, then id leave the voltages if you intend to leave them at stock speed, if you intend to overclock the ram also, then you may find you will need to increase the ram voltage, id personally not recommend increasing the voltage over any more than .1 of a volt max, than that of what they where running at fine before.

Mine will run @ stock on 1.8v fine, however to clock them a bit I found i had to increase to 1.9v

Some people have made larger increases than this, however im more on the side of caution.

17. miggittymacdaddy

alright, sounds good. so what i conclude after reading, is that with my system, these would be good specs to start out at? And yes, I hope to OC the memory, so what do you guys think I'll need to change to do that? (please comment on if i'm correct or if you have any suggestions of different/better suggestions):

system: asus P5N-T Deux 780i
    Q6600
    8gb PC2-8000
    Nvidia Quadro 4600, it' for rendering
    2x500gb RAID1

OC specs:

fsb to 333mhz

vCore Voltage to 1.4625V

CPU FSB Voltage from 1.2V to 1.4V

nForce SPP and MCP Voltages from 1.2V and 1.5V to 1.45V and 1.55V

Thanks guys

18. TheJerk

TheJerk New Member

Hi Miggittymacdaddy!

I am not sure how much you have tested already but for that OC on the CPU the VCore seems way too high. I have mine now at 366 MHz FSB with the VCore well below 1,4v. Doesnt it run very hot with that voltage? At 1,4 I could run it at 380 MHz but i stepped it down because it ran hotter then I like. Personally, I have set a limit that no core of the CPU shall exceed 65 degrees after 1 hour of 100% stress.

For temp monitoring, the easiest to use IMO is coretemp (free download). You can minimize it to the toolbar and it takes up like 2 megs if ram while operating. Just check so that the version you get is compatible to your OS. Since you have 8 gigs of ram I am gessing you have Vista 64-bit, dunno if coretemp is availible for that. Also, everest ultimate edtition (Company: Lavalys) has a function of monitoring ALL temps (including GPU, drives, Mobo etc). I am gessing that your system runs really hot under stress (unless you have some killer cooling systems). Hotter temps decrease life span and the temp of the q6600 shall never exceed 71 degrees (if I remember correctly).

Everest also has a stability test. Otherwise, the most popular seems to be Prime95 (also free download) but be sure to run it in four instances (all four cores). There are links to that procedure above in this forum.

Please get back with some temp-results when u have it. I have a Cooler Master Stacker 831 with 4 120mm case-fans and watercooling on the CPU. So if you can get descent temps with that voltage I would be happy to know the secret.

My BIOS allows for all other voltages on auto and I havent clocked the RAM, so I am sorry I can't comment on the other stuff.

/J

19. TheJerk

TheJerk New Member

As a clarification to the above: Though this OC-test ended with the VCore volts you provided, please notice the mother of all aircoolers they are using. So be careful. Not knowing your cooling, my guess with the suggestions you provided above is that u will have no problem getting the system to work stable, but a big problem with CPU-heat. If your aim is "only" 333 MHz FSB (3 Ghz), begin with much lower VCore-volts. I know more than a few people who runs this CPU at 333MHz FSB at default VCore volts. Practical suggestion: VCore: 1,400 and CPU FSB voltage:1,3 is a good starting point. Than increase FSB a little at a time.

In the end, you have to decide for yourself if you want to do a max OC, set a temp maximum you think is reasonable, a max FSB you think is reasonable, or some other limit. If the goal is 333 MHz FSB, start at the above volts, increase FSB until u reach the goal, then lower the volts until you reach the level at which the CPU is no longer stable. The (obviously) take it up one notch again. If u cant reach 333 MHz FSB at the above volts, then increase them, while keeping track on the temps under load. I think the volts will be enough though.
    /J

20. miggittymacdaddy

awesome, that is exactly what i was looking for. to clear things up, i haven't actually tried any of these settings yet, i to run it by you guys first, and i am glad i did. i will not run it at that high of volts, long term durability is more important to me.

and i am not even running a liquid cooling system. currently i'm running a Zalman 9700 aircooler(what do you think of this one?)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118020)

i thought it was one of the best, but i am sorta new to most of this. so i guess if it is not such a great one, maybe i'll try to get the one tey had on here and sell mine or something. and then i'm running (1) 200mm fan, (4) 120mm fans (Antec 900 case).

as for the 8gb of ram, i am running XP Pro Corp 64. i needed the ram to help out with rendering. and coretemp worked perfectly with this OS and monitors all 4 cores perfectly.

i think this is what i'm about to try:
    360mhz fsb
    vcore- 1.4v
    cpu fsb-1.3v
    maybe don't mess with any of the spp and mcp voltages?

thanks guys.

Tags: Add Tags