1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other OVERCLOCKING

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cmmg, 19 Oct 2009.

1. cmmg

cmmg New Member

Hi Guys,

Here is my set up

MOTHERBOARD - Asus P5Q
    MEMORY - OCZ DD2 6400 4gb ( 2 x 2gb sticks)
    GRAPHICS - ATI 4870
    CPU - Intel Quad 9450
    PSU - Cosair 650 WATTS

Please can you help me, I want to overclock the memory, motherboard and graphics. Please can you help.

I have manual set the memory timings to 5-5-5-15. Can I change these?

Thanks

Chris

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

hey welcome to the forums wooooooooooooooot.

i think first off you need to take a look at the overclocking stickys. make yourself familar with the bios and have a go at following the guide.

if you have any specific questions post it up and im sure people will help you sort it

3. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

you are better of at overclocking your cpu and gpu. to overclock your cpu i recomend that you go on google and find some overclocking gudes these will help you. for your gpu i recomend that you download msi after burner, but with make sure you only incrase the voltage a tiny bit say 0.4 or not at all as you can break your graphics card doing so.

once you have overclock everything i recomend you run prime95 as this will determine if your overclock is stable or not. when you are doing this i recomend you look at your tempreture to make sure they arn't going too high. you should run prime for probaly 30min or a hour

4. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

*no, use the overclocking guides on bit-tech as mentioned above.
    ** try 6 hours. If you are just testing a small increase, or an intermediate jump. For example, you are aiming for 3.2 from 2.4 and want to test it at 2.6 then yeah, an hour is fine. For your final overclock you want to really torture that CPU for as long as possible.

5. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

i said on google so that on the net he is looking at the same bios as all of them are different it will be easy for him navigate round his own bios, and 6 hours on prime is completeoverkill mate a hour will be more intensive cpu work your pc will ever do.

6. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I agree with dave on this, for your final OC you really need to test it for as long as you possibly can.

I had an OC last year on my Q6600 that was stable under Prime for about 2 hours, but doing certain things, even just trying to install something, the OC was causing problems.

7. smc8788

smc8788 ...at least I have chicken

Even 6 hours isn't that much, I usually leave my final stability testing for 24hours of Prime95. I also use IntelBurnTest, as that tends to generate higher temperatures than prime.

8. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

what is the point of intel burn test if you are never going to stress your cpu that much. a crysis benchmark or even 3dmark06 should be enough for almost any system

9. smc8788

You don't get the point of stability testing, do you? :p

It's not supposed to be 'good enough', or just about benchable. This isn't an overclocking contest, this is a system that you're going to be using day in, day out, so it has to be 100% stable at 100% load. Not all stress testing applications simulate 100% load the same way, so some are better than others.

10. cmmg

cmmg New Member

What is the difference between the following settings for your memory

5-5-5-15

and

5-5-5-18???

Thanks

Chris

11. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

in the real world NOTHING

that will make absolutely no difference at any task really.

intel core 2 and i7 dont really benefit from tight memory timings

only in synthetic memory benchamrks will that show a benefit

12. Carper

Carper Guru

The rule is the lower the timing on memory the better but like most people will say theres no real world benefit.

13. Jejking

Jejking Who's the man?

The lower you get, the tighter the timings get and it improves scores marginally. Downside: the number of MHz will drop significantly.

The higher you get, the looser the timings will be and the scores will drop a bit. Advantage: less strain so you can up the MHz, improving scores.

Let's say that MHz ALWAYS does more to help your bandwidth then timings. On the old AMD Athlon64 timings did help but even there MHz did count more. Raw MHz > Timings.

14. smc8788

However, it's worth nothing that as you increase the RAM speed, the timings will inevitably have to go up. For example, timings of 5-5-5-15 at 800MHz and 5-5-5-15 at 1066MHz aren't the same in terms of actual latency because they're measured in clock cycles, so the latter would involve shorter latency periods as the clock cycles become shorter at higher frequencies.

15. livesabitch

livesabitch life is what you make it!

highly intersting to me! want to overclock my system and been looking on here for a while now to find a thread like this! its good to hear the increasing the cpu will speed up my system rather than just playing with mem timeings! will have play later with my bios! should i just up the hz on the cpu to speed it up????