1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Transk53, 8 May 2018.

1. Transk53

Transk53 Member

Just wondering about the modern era of overclocking if you will. The last rig I had was socket 939 Athlon X2. Would I essentially have to start from the beginning with Ryzen or i5/7 with overclocking now? Does some of the old knowledge base have a place still? For example I remember using terms like “stock frequency(ies)” I am presuming that BCLK is the same thing? Any links to literature would be welcomed, but not sure where to start with so many questions in my own mind.

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

The same basic principles apply, but now things tend to be easier depending what chip you buy, with intel k series you don't have to worry about fsb/bclk, can just increase the multiplier.

But the general philosophy of increase speed until unstable, increase voltage until stable and repeat applies :)

3. Transk53

Transk53 Member

Interesting. I didn’t know it was just a case of increasing the multi on the K’s. From what I read so far, it seems the AMD chips are a bit more difficult to keep stable, or at least the process seems a bit more tricky. Was thinking of the 8350k for a budget build. Recertifying at the mo so need to build something fairly cheap soon, but with a bit of headroom for experimenting. Thanks for the reply , I will have a read of you’re blog.

4. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Overclocking with Ryzen is largely pointless - Gen 1 has very little headroom, Gen 2 boosts smarter than manual overclocking in most cases.

Overclocking with Intel is a case of whacking the multi up to whatever you feel comfortable with and checking stability - most motherboards will handle voltage on auto with air overclocks.

Oddly, I had more fun seeing how low I could get the voltage at stock clocks rather than juicing it up to the eyeballs for an extra 50-100Mhz I wouldn't notice in day to day use.

Also, 8350K is an awful CPU, unless you're getting it for under £100.

5. Transk53

Transk53 Member

Thanks for the info. Yeah from what I have read the AMD seems to be more like turbo boosting. Is that a bios setting regarding the mobo voltage?

Yes I looked at the price of the 8350K primarily, but maybe step up to a i5 then. In fact it doesn’t even have to be a unlocked multi CPU tbh, just really a experiment in getting used to building again. Could always go for a packed mobo with decent model support, and slot another at a later date.

Last edited: 10 May 2018