1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Overheating Pentium D

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Joes2silly, 8 Jul 2008.

1. Joes2silly

Joes2silly What's a Dremel?

I've noticed that my computer has been shutting down randomly lately and I think it is due to overheating. What are the average temperatures for this processor? My processor is running at around the 50s at idle and near 60 at load. Would the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro be adequate cooling?

2. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Aren't the Pentium D's based on the Netburst core? Generally they last under higher temps.

Also 60C shouldn't yet cause any shutdowns. You might check the airflow in the case and also the temps of other components. And also if you PSU is overheating/loaded.

3. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

agreed with mmvr, clean up any dust you got hanging around, might help a bit.

4. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Oh yea, of course, I forgot. That really helps.

The temps on my Athlon XP 3000+ dropped nearly 10C when I un-dusted the heatsink and fan. :D

5. Joes2silly

It's pretty clean in there, two front intake fans, one side intake fan, and another two exhaust fans (full ATX tower). Could the northbridge cause a shutdown because of heat?

6. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

You would need to monitor it. I believe a program called Hardware monitor can monitor all the temps. for your system (cpu, nb, sb, gpu, etc.)

7. Joes2silly

It could be the northbridge overheating. I'm just not sure, it could even be the PSU on the fritz. I will try to eliminate one of these things though:thumb:

Tags: