1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Overheating?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by MadGinga, 14 Sep 2020.

1. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

HI All,

My "server", an i5 3540 based windows box; has had two brain-farts recently; resulting in a shutdown and on restart a "siren" plays on the internal speaker.

Google tells me that the siren is likely a sign of a temperature issue/overheating.

The first time was during the stupidly hot period we had a month ago(?), so assumed it was temp based so gave the case, fans and heatsinks a clean - and on powering back up temps seemed ok and stable.

I have been checking temps relatively frequently and wasn't seeing anything different to that first re-power-on.

Second time was last night; so this time i've installed speedfan to log the temps; so if it happens again i might be able to pinpoint the cause, but thought i'd ask the lovely denizens of B-T for any suggestions, ideas?

I've screen capped the speedfan window and the mainboard tab of CPU-Z. I'm a little concerned with the SMIOVT4 temperature, but cant work out what that temp/sensor is reporting...

Any help/suggestions appreciated!

MadG

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yeah, I was thinking the same. A little early-morning DuckDuckGoing on my phone suggests - but from some forum randomer somewhere, so don't take this as gospel - that SMIOVT4 might be something to do with RAM temperature. Check the airflow around the RAM sockets, maybe?

In Linux the only temperature sensors on my motherboard that do anything are Tdie and Tctl, so I can't offer a comparative!

3. MadGinga

Thanks for the reply, I had also found that post, but as theres no confirmation, and checking the mobo manual didnt shed any light on it; might crack open the case and see if i can find any markings...

If it is RAM temp, then why is one 20 degrees C hotter than the other!!

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I mean, one's apparently acting as a freezer too...

"SMI" is "System Management Interface," I can tell you that much. "T" is almost certainly "Temperature." "OV", no idea. But put the bits we do know together and you've basically got "System Management Interface OV Temperature 4," which simply means the fourth temperature sensor - which is why the sixth temperature sensor is different, 'cos it's somewhere else measuring something else.

What's really annoying is that temperature sensor four might be by the RAM sockets on your motherboard, and off by the PCIe sockets on mine. Apparently some motherboards have downloadable sensor-name configuration files you can load that replace "SMIOVT4" with the name of what it's actually measuring - but they're unofficial and might not exist for your board.

EDIT:
    Added bonus, here's an Intel staffer saying that the SMIOVT sensors might not even measure anything depending on board.

5. MadGinga

Curiouser and curiouser...

There are only 2 temperature monitoring points on the board (according to the manual); so that lines up nicely with the 6 "temperatures" reported; one on the CPU, and one on the chipset - not sure this helps :wallbash: