1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News OWC teases 600MB/s Mercury Viper 3.5in SSD

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 15 Jan 2013.

1. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

They are? You're telling me that HDD storage is cheaper per GB than an SSD? Wow. You learn something new every day, and there was me thinking your well formed argument was originally "If you need more space than 512Gb for everyday use your doing something wrong". Price per GB never came into it, but I guess that's was just me being thick.

But back on track...

I do access more than 512GB of data every day, so by applying your logic I've clearly got very little intelligence.

Really?

Damn. I'm really quite surprised at this breaking news. I'm welling up in fact.

This shocking news is actually very distressing as I've always relied on my brain up until now. At least knowing this does explain my lifelong inability to solve the Seven Bridges of Königsberg problem.

I will be sure to let everyone I meet that my 'Corky42 certified Brain' score is significantly more petite than I would otherwise have believed. But you've made the connection between the data I access daily and my intelligence and surely you must be speaking the truth otherwise you wouldn't have said it.

Thanks for letting me know. This is life altering stuff.

I will be sure to read all your future posts as if my very life depends on them. For maybe it will in some small way, as I now believe that you have many great lessons in life you could teach me. By hanging onto your every word I will endeavour to become a better and 'more brainy' person.

Just like you.

Would you be so generous as help me now? Seeing as you seem to know more about my daily usage patterns than I do (After all I'm such a thicky), would you be so kind as to enlighten me exactly which of my data I should not be using?

I'll do my best to follow your line of thought this time, but please don't use any complicated words. You must remember I'm a girl of very little brain.

Ficky Pucker likes this.
  2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

If you want to call your self thick that's upto you, i would just say you have not read previous comments, specifically.
    And thats not the only comment mentioning costs.

Again you seem to have leaped before you looked

3. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Nice sarcasm..........here is mine....... nice post.

a 512GB drive would be suitable for over 90% of people for OS, programs and games. I've gone from two 64GB SSD in raid 0 to a single 64GB SSD OS & programs. The other 64GB SSD has Ubuntu & Steam. SataII 256GB or SataIII 128GB going in for a steam/games drive. I also have a 2nd gaming machine that only has a 64GB SSD.

My Steam collection is large but I only ever have 6-8 games installed and numerous large mech drives for backup & storage.

For MOST people, including most gamers, a 512Gb SSD would be fine. For the common computer user a 128GB SSD would be fine, of all the PC's I fix or upgrade, I've only ever seen a handful use over 100GB. I do know of people that could use a 512GB+ SSD and It would make sense for them to have one over a HDD. But then I have more fingers on one hand then know of people this applies. All the people I know of with over 256GB SSD, only do it for the e-peen.

Oh and just because you access over 512GB doesn't mean Corky is wrong, your usage is above normal (or your lying :O)

4. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

But wait, 512GB SSD isn't near being affordable either. And 120GB is certainly not enough.

5. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

agree on the 512GB affordability. but 120GB not enough? it'll get your OS @ 20GB say the same again for programs and any regular games you play on the remaining 70-80GB. I found multiplayer games are fine on a HDD if anything i prefer it, as i always get impatient when i load up quick but have to sit there waiting for other people, this may change when everyone has an SSD but now you still have to wait. Single player games i am currently regularly playing always go on SSD as there is a benefit. I wouldn't be without an SSD but atm with the prices as they are and for what most people use, 120GB and a HDD for files and irregularly accessed stuff is a better option. and one that real world performance wise isn't that different from pure SSD.

6. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

So the thread has gone from insulting my intelligence to insulting my integrity.

Nice.

So my usage is above normal - I never claimed I was a light user. I simply said "I'm using more than 512GB I'm doing something differently to you". It was this statement which triggered the first insult aimed directly at me.

Because the computer I use has a different usage to someone else's doesn't mean I'm doing something wrong or lacking in intelligence (Both claimed by Corky) and it doesn't mean I'm lying (An accusation by yourself).

You can turn Corky's statement into a 'Most people don't need more than 512GB' derivative if you like, but that's not how it was originally put.

Of course 'most' average users don't need more than 512GB, we're all in agreement on that. But just because someone doesn't fit into your personal category of 'most' doesn't justify insulting their intelligence or accusing them of lying.

That's it I'm done. From now on I'm ignoring you trolls.

7. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

This.

Most home users don't need > 512GB SSDs != more money than brains if you do.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Well actually

And just in case it needs clarifying "you" would normally imply one person, not a company. :wallbash:

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Plus need != want.

I have an I7 3770k, do I really need it? nah, what did I have before? a i7 920, did I need it? nah, could still use the Q6600 that I used before that, but guess what, I upgraded anyway. Same thing to some extent applies to SSDs, do I really need to move my entire flac collection to an ssd? nope, will I do so once ssds drop in price enough? sure why not.

10. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

Well I don't know what happened to Corky today which warranted this aggression towards others.

If you need/want a lot of fast storage space you don't care what it costs. You purchase it anyways.
    What is so hard to understand?

11. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

I would hardly say a consideration for the average user is necessary on this forum.

Do we need those flashy PCs? We could be an average consumer and buy a PS3, but we pursue performance.

Do we need mechanical keyboards that the average consumer doesn't? No, we simply prefer the speed.

If you can't understand we are in a niche then I fail to see why you are here. Many of us use storage at an exponential rate. I am an avid photographer and I store all my photos in RAW (a collection requiring 5TB). When I need to access these large images, it is very slow and inconvenient. Put aside your arrogance, it is not welcome, at least not from me.

12. blackworx

blackworx Cable Wrangler

Sorry, it's been repeated so often in this thread that I can't not say it.

"your doing"
    "your willing"
    "your mad"
    "your lying"

It's "YOU'RE"! :wallbash:

Also

This. Having RAWs on spinning rust can slow Lightroom etc. to a crawl. Each individual's use case and performance requirements specifies their "need". If someone wants, can afford and actually uses such high capacity + high performance, how on earth can they be "doing something wrong"?

13. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

accessing a 5TB collection , hopefully you have it on a RAID array? likely raid 5?

14. Shirty

Glad someone went there. I wanted to but every time grammars corrected on here some users throw there toys out the pram.

See what I did there?

15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

there = location which makes no sense in the context you used it because you where talking about objects and what the owner of those objects does with them and it had nothing to do with location, as opposed to the following example: look over there, they are throwing around toys again.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Were. Where is, ironically enough, also a locational term: "Where is the grammar nazi? The grammar nazi is there."

(Couldn't resist, sorry.)

17. Shirty

Lol. Least constructive comments page ever.

18. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

I have 1 harddrive in my desktop pc, it's a 2TB drive, it is currently hosting 1.5TB of software and data. I prefer it this way, stuff I need to keep is backed up onto the server I have(yes it's a proper server)

19. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

talking about that.

i found with my antec 300 case i can screw a 2.5" samsung 840 pro on its side, meaning got a lot of air flow coming into the case flowing over it (can screw 2 down as only using 2 of the 4 screws)