1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Oxidation Technique Tutorial by Chatnoir

Discussion in 'Modding' started by chatnoir, 17 Mar 2010.

1. chatnoir

chatnoir What's a Dremel?

Oxidation Technique Tutorial by Chatnoir

Tools: Different kind of thin brushes, sponge (like the one used in the kitchen) and sand.
    Spray Paint Colors: Black, Orange, Yellow, Red and Clear (semi mate)

This thing is simple… jejeje

Intro:
    If you are reading this is because you want to have your own rusty case or something. So let start, you don’t need a flat surface for this technique the more irregularity on the surface will help us achieve more realism at the end.

Step 1 (Base Color)
    In my case I use black but you can use any color you want. I chose a black hammered spray paint that gives me a more realistic effect and irregular or uneven surface to work with.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Step 2 (Details)
    You must apply any detail before the Oxidation technique. I make some industrial warning yellow line, all I can say is that the formula work really great over the yellow lines.

[​IMG]

Step 3 (N1’s Formula)
    After step 2 let it dry and then start preparing the colors (you can use the spray paint can if you want to) begin with the darkest color (in this case black is our darkest color)… now you will know what I mean.

Add a little bit of red to the black you should get a brown color with that mix (if not, create a brown color going the opposite way first red and then black) add and mix a little bit of flat clear enamel this will give a less shiny but real effect, add and mix a little bit of sand (remember that sand absorb so don’t add to much) this is the formula we will apply on the base.

Step 4 (Application Mode)
    Take a piece of the sponge and moist it with the N1’s formula then apply it to key locations to get a realistic look, you will note that the sand will be accompanied with the paint (if you feel that you need more sand for a bigger detail add it with the brush to the sponge). The sponge is your key element to have better results as you apply the different coats and textures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Step 5 (N2’s Formula)
    After that, take another container or spray cap and add Orange (if you want to get a more realistic look add a little bit of black to the orange, a drop will do the trick) and apply it over the first coat. If you feel like you need more details you can add a little bit of sand to this formula too you can apply it over or close to the first coat (the sand will take the color of the mixture so don’t worry about it) remember to add a little bit of clear flat enamel to the formula and always apply it with the sponge.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Step 6 (N3’s Formula)
    After done that, take a clean spray cap or container and add only orange, mix it with a little bit of sand and the clear flat enamel. This is the formula that will give you the extreme details and the realistic Oxidation feeling over the other layers. Note that if you apply the formula with the sponge by pressing a little bit over the previous coat the sand grains will pop up giving you an optimum finish.

[​IMG]

Step 7 (The Dripping)
    Referring to teachers of gravity, we can say that this is an easy and fast way,
    but by no means unimportant, this time we'll use orange and a quantity of clear enamel to make the paint a little bit liquid (you will note how the orange mixture become clear) use a fine brush, some sand grains that will eventually blur away in the process.

Take the brush and starts applying the mixture from the top (start detailing on your own free will) make dripping line, always start from the same spot and you will note how the universe play a big role here by making the path of the drop almost perfect over the base coats, jejeje…
    (Repeat this step wherever you need it)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bonus Track (Base 2)
    (Base 2 is another choice for a fast oxidation technique.)
    Apply the base color, in my case black hammered… without lose any time… apply the orange coat (no to far and no to close) for example 20cm (8 inches) wait and see how the colors fuse themselves and helped by gravity you will get a base ready for the previous steps or just for the N3’s formula and the dripping.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The finished work is really aggressive, if you get hit with it you are going to hurt your skin, the sand does not come off easily you will need to apply a hard hit to remove the sand from the surface. Apply a coat of clear enamel to the whole project to get an even look.

Well I say goodbye, but not before advising you to do some tests before going to the papers, greetings.

Oxidation Tutorial by Chatnoir "Argentina"
    GAME OVER.

2. Fractal

Fractal I Think Therefore I Mod

Very thorough, thanks