1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p4 board

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Amorphus, 26 Mar 2003.

1. Amorphus

Amorphus What's a Dremel?

I'm building a new system for myself, and I'm wondering what kind of board you guys recommend. I'm not really looking for features galore - more emphasis on overall stability and good overclockability.

I was thinking Asus P4S8X - looks good. anyone have any opinions on this board/suggestions for other boards?

(p.s., a friend of mine said something about the board being crud, but I read a bunch of reviews, and none of them said a thing about the quality of the board in any negative manner. maybe I'm looking at the wrong reviews?)

=/

2. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

platform/memory type would be nice to know.

3. aeronic

aeronic What's a Dremel?

i would heartily recommend the abit be7-raid (or non raid if you dont want that).

i tend to prefer the intel chipsets as they overclock better than sis.

ive heard some great things about the new abit bh7, which is like the be7, but has sata and is for use with cpus up to 200 (800QDR) fsb's.

4. Amorphus

Amorphus What's a Dremel?

Pentium 4 2.4B Northwood
    Corsair XMS DDR333 PC2700 RAM

if you can find something that supports that combo.

I basically want the P4S8X, but it doesn't have PCI/AGP lock... =/
    and there might be something better out there...

Onboard LAN is a plus, too. any boards out there with exceptional sound systems? Stupid AMD, hogging all the nVidia soundstorm...

eh. what about a P4PE/P4GE-V board from ASUS?

opinions? anyone?

Last edited: 26 Mar 2003
  5. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

You absolutely HAVE to get either a Granite Bay or i850e motherboard. Now, I'm pretty sure you're not going to go i850e because RDRAM is prohibitely expensive (hell, the only reason my dad's rig is i850e based is because he already has half a gig of RDRAM from the last system, an i820 rig), and since Granite Bay is dual-DDR like nForce2 without having to have come from a questionable chipset maker such as SiS (I don't mean SiS can't make a good chipset, I just mean that Intel has rarely bombed with theirs...although those bombs have been pretty big *cough*i810*cough*).

As for which Granite Bay board, the Gigabyte 8INXP looks pretty damn sweet, I tell ya hwat (not a typo). Just look at those features. You can't really complain about practically free Gigabit Ethernet.

6. Iceman

Iceman Staff

The P4S8X sucks dont buy it. As for granite bay, the Asus P4G8X is a good board once you get the tweaked bios and assuming you have a graphics card that likes it. The granite bay chipset has many bugs when dealing with the radeon series, most of them are easily solved but some radeons like my new one for a bit tech "project" refuse to run stably regardless of what you try. SIS 655 boards are very good, the gigabyte SINXP1394 I would recommend highly and I'd say get that over the granite bay boards or hang on for the springdale/canterwood boards.

7. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Dude, I have an A-Bit BE7-RAID aswell, very good board, no problems so far, but I have a question for you :

What do the LED's next to the power connector mean?
    I read that manual but can't find any info on them :confused:

8. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

That LED tells you that the motherboard is recieving power from the PSU (even if the computer itself is turned off). Basically, it's to make sure that you don't futz around with your computer while something's on and you hurt it/yourself.

9. batsman

batsman the quiet one

I'm got myself a sinxp1394 the other day very nice, using that with DDR 400 dual channel 128 bit which is quite fast would recomend the board to anyone as it comes with pretty much everything you need and the blue LED on the DPS looks sweet, only bad comment is only 3 fan headers.

10. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Ok, I was just worried because it would be Green when the PSU was plugged in, but change Red when I switch the PC on, also, when I googled for it, 1 of the reviews I read said it was a reference for memory voltages?

11. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

Hmmm, that doesn't seem very logical. My guess is that it's green when the motherboard is recieving power on standby (i.e. comp off, PSU on and plugged in), and red for when the computer's on (i.e. "stop, if touching something in me now doesn't kill you, you'll probably want to kill yourself after you fry something dumbass").