1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows P4 or AMD for games

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by premix, 3 Jun 2002.

1. premix

premix What's a Dremel?

Hello everyone:D . My system is mainly used for gaming currently a P4 1.4 Skt423. Can anyone tell me the best CPU for games P4 or AMD? Bearing in mind the AMD is a lot better on the wallet. Either way it means a new motherboard cos of the 423 Skt :sigh: Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

AMD, some fast DDR and a fast gfx card, unless you can afford PC1066 rdram and a P4 533fsb.

3. Evilbob

Evilbob What's a Dremel?

go with AMD , cheaper & better performing, Intel are more stable imho but AMD are better gaming processors

4. Gandi69

Gandi69 Like to get busy wit fizzy..

AMD are easier on the pocket, intels usually make hardly any heat tho, and are stable. IMO I dont think you would really notice the difference between a p4 or an AMD with the latest DDR memory and GF4 in the system, but hey AMD will leave you with a lot more change.

5. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

If money is no object buy a p4 with 533mhz fsb, or even a 1.6a or 1.8a and overclock. Amd will be cheaper and you will lose a couple of frames a sec.

6. premix

premix What's a Dremel?

P4 vs AMD

I was offered a AMD 2.1 XP for £162 retail.Or a 2G XP for £137.26 Is this about right?
    Or a P4 2G for £200 this one is on the auctions, apparently it's a skt 423! didn't think they made them!
    My motherboard at the moment is ASUS P4T with rdram, but has a HP operating system.Need to flash bios to get rid of this but too scared.
    Also offered a Soltek m/board DV5 at £92.50

7. djgizmo

djgizmo 1337 pimp

for those of us less fortunate ones without more money than brains, i always recommend an athlon Xp 1800 or 1900 with a cheap but good enough ECS K7S5A (like in macro black) because it has an integrated 100mbps network card and it takes both ddr(266) and sdr. it only costs round 70 euros here, which is a bloody cheap mobo(for finland) and it takes up to and over Xp2000's. no offense meant by any of this to anyone... and lastly, since i was playing JK2 on my friends Radeon 64Mb ddr today(which got perfectly fine framerate, even though the graphics were set up for high res.) i'd recommend a radeon 8500, cos it just rules, from what i've seen of it... i mean the same speed as a Ti500, and everything else is good(price is good... a nice 160 euros) and it's plenty fast enough for us average folk...

Tags: