1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P8H67-M Pro iGPU dual display support question

Discussion in 'ASUS' started by Fingers66, 15 May 2011.

1. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Hi Bindi, I was wondering if you could clarify something for me.

The P8H67-M Pro manual states that the iGPU can simultaneously support:

DVI + D-sub
    DVI + HDMI
    HDMI + D-sub

I assume that the DVI + HDMI support is with both digital signals or does it require an analog adapter? In other words, can the motherboard support two simultaneous digital outputs?

Someone with that m/b has told me that you can't here: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=209459.

Can you clarify this please?

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I'll send an email to our motherboard guru and see what he says.

3. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Ok not sure if I should post this here but it might help the situation. I updated the BIOS today and tried it again and it did the exact same thing with DVI+HDMI both connected simultaneously (screen flickers and then BSOD after about 7 seconds).

However, this time I tried to connect just one monitor via HDMI - turns out this will not work for me and it causes a BSOD also (which makes me think it may be me who's doing something wrong here but I cannot see what). Even when I completely disconnect all the cables and turn both the PC and monitor completely off, and then connect the cables and power them both up, the first few screens are displayed (BIOS and then the Windows is starting message) and then it suddenly BSODs again.

So it may be a HDMI issue that is specific to my motherboard and monitor (BenQ 2420HD), but I really do not know. I am using the latest Win7 SP1, and all the latest chipset and graphics drivers, and updated to the latest BIOS today. The mobo is the same as what Fingers stated.

UPDATE: Ok it turns out my BSOD through HDMI is a known issue on H67 mobo's that run Intels integrated HD 3000/2000 graphics drivers: http://communities.intel.com/message/125270#125270

So if I followed that thread correctly, I think Intel's techies are working on an update for it so I will just have to wait.

Obviously this still does not confirm whether it is possible to have dual digital outputs on this mobo, but at least when they fix it I will definitely be able to try it (and its probably something you'd like to know anyway Fingers in case the guy likes to connect via HDMI)

Last edited: 17 May 2011
  4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

:( Intel drivers up to their usual standard then.. *sigh*

5. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

lol, I know how crap is that. I knew there would be an issue somewhere down the line using integrated graphics...

Anyway, just to be clear though I still don't know for certain if it will support dual digital outputs simultaneously, so if you manage to find it out it would be great to let us know for sure :)

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

This causes me a big problem. To get two displays via a digital signal, and hence the better quality image, I need to use DVI + HDMI. Or buy a discrete GPU and increase the cost of the build to my friend.

If a fix comes out within the next two weeks, then great. If not... bugger, bugger, bugger...

Bindi: I still need to know if two simultaneous digital signals is actually possible with that m/b please.

The irony is that I built a rig a month or so ago on the same m/b and I could of tested it with my monitor and the new one for that rig - ain't hindsight a wonderful thing...

Last edited: 17 May 2011
  7. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Any update Bindi?

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No reply :/

9. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Im going to post this in the Asus tech support forum and see if they know (asked the question on Anandtech too but they didnt know either :( ). I'v got a feeling it will be at least June before Intel fix the HDMI bluescreen crap which prevents me from trying dual digital output!

10. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Any update on whether the P8H67-M Pro can support two simultaneous digital outputs Bindi?

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nope. And I doubt we'll get a reply because of Computex busy-ness sorry

12. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Final update,

OK Intel released a new graphics driver patch on 25th May, which is supposed to fix this BSOD issue. But it STILL does not let me connect through HDMI - when I try just connecting one monitor it goes on to Windows desktop then the screen goes blank. When I try a dual monitor setup (one DVI the other HDMI), both screens display the BIOS and the 'windows is starting message' fine, but then when it gets to the actual desktop the DVI one distorts (but still displays the image just about), and the HDMI one goes blank again.

I managed to get onto the Intel graphics control panel on the DVI connected monitor with the HDMI monitor connected but obviously not displaying. The control panel stated that I had 2 digital connections, with a BenQ Monitor connection and the other a BenQ Television - take from that what you will but I dont know if that means it 'should' support it or it doesnt because if it did why would it not say that they are both the same type of display (they are in reality identical BenQ monitors).

With them both showing the start up and BIOS fine over HDMI, I now do not know if this a Windows 7 issue also. Either way, Im sick of the issue now and if I was you Fingers I would forget dual digital displays with this H67 motherboard on Intel's HD 2000/3000 graphics, and instead just get a cheap Nvidia/AMD card that supports dual DVI outputs, which is exactly what I am going to do.

http://communities.intel.com/thread/20439?start=180&tstart=0

Fingers66 likes this.
  13. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Yeah, I've been following that Intel thread since you first posted it and, in my opinion, it is still the Intel drivers at fault here. Piss poor performance from Intel!

Anyway, I have about a month before I will be building the rig for my friend so will continue watching this and make the decision re: discrete or iGPU at the last minute.

Thanks mate.

Just for anyone else reading, it is not an Asus (or any other manufacturer) problem, this problem is common across all the boards with Intel iGPU drivers.

Shame on you Intel!

14. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Yes I know shocking isn't it. Most people bought H67's to use the IGP and to think that it doesnt work over HDMI (because of Intel's drivers) is pretty bad. I suppose, like one of Intel's techies said in that thread, the latest driver is a 'test driver' so they are still working on it. But its still a complete joke.

15. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Interestingly, reading the updates in the Intel support thread (posted above) seems to indicate that the problem could be caused by a combination of the Intel driver (which they are updating and releasing new versions for) and the vbios which is part of the m/b BIOS.

Without the m/b manufacturer updating the bios (which includes the vbios), it doesn't seem to be getting fixed. There are mentions that there is still a problem with the Asus vbios for some m/b's. There seems to be new bios updates coming out on a very regular basis for the Asus m/b's but there isn't any mention of the vbios being updated in the new releases.

This really needs to be a collaborative effort between Intel and the m/b manufacturers as having an unusable HDMI port on the boards isn't really good advertising for the product.

16. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

17. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

18. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

19. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Come on fingers it's only been 6 months :hehe: :p, just need to give them more time as HDMI drivers are incomprehensibly hard to code :lol:

20. kox

kox What's a Dremel?

H67 HDMI problem

Hi!

My pc didn't (windows 7 64bit) start normally if the HDMI was plugged in. (blinking screen) If I plugged out there was no problem. I installed the intel ...2418 driver (link above). The other end of HDMI cable (1.4) was plugged in a 1.3 port on the tv, I plugged it to the first port (with ARC, maybe it is 1.4) in the same time, and everything is ok.:clap: