1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P8P67 XMP profile issues

Discussion in 'ASUS' started by Spanky, 22 Apr 2011.

1. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Hi, wonder if i get any advice from you guys.

Have my new 2500k build and after lots of stress i have finally managed to make it stable. Beofre this my overclocks were made with the XMP profile enabled ( 1600mhz Corsair Vengance C8 ).

Now i was never able to keep the PC from crashing while overclocked and i have narrowed it down to the XMP profile. Yes it sets it as it should with the right speed and timings but nothing i do will keep the PC running. It will crash in games, the desktop and even after i took all the overclocks off and just set the XMP profile it resulted in exactly the same, even took 2 or 3 attempts to power the PC on where the screen would not come on.

So. I set my overclocks again ( 4.5 ) and set the RAM to 1333 at C9 and it has been perfect since. However im not entirely happy as i paid more for the C8 ram and when it is enabled it flies, and thats what i expect it to do.

Is there anything that im doing wrong??? Or has anyone else experienced this issue. Any advice would be very much appriciated and i really would like my machine to be running as intended.

Antec P183
    Corsair 850 TX
    8Gigs ( 2x4 ) Corsair Vengance C8
    ATI 5850 XXX
    P8p67 Pro
    Vertex 2E 120g
    Spinpoint F3
    H50 cooler.

1305 Bios!

2. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

I found on my X58 Sabertooth I had to manully set the the memory rather than using XMP and ensure I had enough "QPI/Dram Core Voltage" set and that seemed to do the trick for my tripple channel 2000Mhz Doms as when I used the XMP it would bomb out booting windows.

3. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Ah thanks for the reply. I will give it a go now. I have some practice for a race today to get in so should be a good workout for it.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes, some XMPs are unfortunately better than others. XMP is designed just to work with the Intel spec not each motherboard - it needs to be on the QVL list to definitely work.

Like Kosch said before I have noticed Crucial increases the QPI/VCC voltage but other brands did not on X58 platform, and the Crucial kit was more compatible.

Try manually setting it to 1600MHz and increasing the voltage of the memory and, maybe, also the VCIO or VCCSA just a touch. Usually you only need to get into those until you hit 1866/2133+. I've played about 15 hours of Crysis at 2133MHz on the Deluxe board before when I was doing the SB Memory performance review in Jan (just to, you know, test it's durability...:D) but that required significant volts. On a H50 though, it won't be a cooling issue :)

There's also the manual timing controls to check and/or the load-line calibration: if you're heavily overclocked you might need to increase the Phase Frequency higher to pump up the response rate.

Also check Corsair's forums - they are usually very good with advise :)

5. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Still having the same issue. Is stable enough while running but after a 6 hour cold boot it refuses to turn on and take me to the 'F1 to enter bios' your overclocks are ****.

All i did was set to 1600 manually , changed the timings to 8-8-8-24 and set the voltage to 1.55 just incase it needed a wee bit extra :(

Anything else that i can do?

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

VCCio and VCCsa - bump them a touch. Or, check on Corsair forums - they might require specific timings in the custom timings option.

If your memory is on the QVL list, it might be an issue.

What slots are you running? Nearer pair or outer?

7. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Thanks Bindi. I tried the LLC to extreme and so far so good. Starting to think the 'easy to clock' P67 aint as easy for everybody as it seems.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

LOL! Overclocking never should be considered easy tbh. That takes away the fun. You've got to play with it, get to know what the board likes, that way you appreciate it more. ;) All my best boards I've ever used took time to learn

(A7V133, P4B, Epox nForce 2 (not the best, but all I could afford), LANParty ICFX3200T2RG, IC7G, DFI X48, Max II Extreme, Rampage II, Several P35s and P45s :)