1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Packard Bells technical *support*

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrbungle, 19 Aug 2013.

1. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

I resurrected a old imedia computer running a Q6600 and wanted to upgrade the bios so I could stick a later generation core quad in it as I want the Q6600 for another machine.

The website is as awful as I remember it being when I used to do tech work a few years ago, they seem to dump anything off the site that isnt current which makes finding drivers and updates a bit of a challenge.

Here is the response to my request of a link for a late bios:

So not only do I need a expert I also need a local technician to help me in my quest for the lost bios updates :sigh:

I think I will leave it as it is unless anyone can track down a bios for a pts73 motherboard!?

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Have you tried running HWInfo to see what the motherboard really is?

A search for PTS73 brings up mention of Asus - it might have an Asus mobo inside, so you could be in luck. As far as I know, Packard Bell always used third party motherboards, so you should be able to find a BIOS with some digging.

3. mrbungle

On first inspection it looks like a bog std matx board until you realize it only has 3 pci slots not the standard 4... so I think its unlikely I will be able to flash it with a off the shelf bios for a Asus board.

It isn't a big deal, the lack of support makes me think there might not be any updates for it anyway it was just the awful response made me laugh.

4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Most matx only have 3 PCI slots (or pci-e on new ones) + 1x PCI-e or AGP

5. murraynt

murraynt Modder

If it is an ASUS board maybe Bindi could help?

6. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

PB normally use modified Asus or Gigabyte boards. You might find a similar model with a slightly different name or features that the PB board doesn't but the BIOSes are normally incompatible.

I've found a modified P04 BIOS here that might be newer than the one you currently have. Searching for "Packard Bell Stingray" might come up with more info.

Edit: P07 (2008-09-24) can be found here but it'll require an account to download. I've tried the Wayback Archive of the PB site (it used to be rather informative before Acer took them over) but no luck.

Last edited: 19 Aug 2013
    mrbungle likes this.
  7. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Acer took over Packard Bell... those are two names you don't want to hear in quick succession.

8. mrbungle

I meant 3 total, hence a matx will not fit in the diddy case

[​IMG]

I will investigate those links, +rep!