1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Painting my MX500

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Twilighted, 12 Aug 2004.

1. Twilighted

Twilighted What's a Dremel?

After some extensive use, the left mouse button on my MX500 is starting to wear and turn a little ugly. I plan on removing the silver "case" and painting it black. The buttons are the same piece of plastic, and bend slightly to press the button. Here is a pic that shows it pretty well (hope its ok to link to :worried:) click here

I have two questions about this job. One, what precautions should I take so that my paint job wont get smudged too easily by my greasy little mitts or wear off quickly. Two, is it a problem that the plastic bends? I'm sure it is less than a 1 degree change, so I don't think it will be a problem. I hope.

Thanks for your input. :D

2. MRKIKKOMAN5645

MRKIKKOMAN5645 What's a Dremel?

i would say use vynle dye wont smudge or anything as long as u let it dry thoroughly a couple coated of clear coat paint will give it a glossy efect 2

3. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Since it's an actual painted surface, sand the old paint off and recolor it with vinyl dye. Do light coats, wait until the dye soaks in and repeat until it's fully colored. It won't wear down if you use vinyl dye, as it actually dyes the plastic.

4. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

your not supose to sand the plastic b4 you apply the dye, find an alternative way to remove the paint or just leave it(how bad could it be)
    o and the dye does wear a little
    edit: use phtobucket next time

5. SilentDeath

SilentDeath What's a Dremel?

Painting over the stock paint usually works fine with Vinyl dye. I painted my mouse black, all I had to do was wash and paint. There's no reason to sand. :)