1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Painting on Plexi-glass.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Mr-IK, 14 Mar 2007.

1. Mr-IK

Mr-IK Member

Yeah, very simple question really :)

Is it possible, to paint plexiglass, with a paint that gives it sort of a shiny surface (like if it was chromed or alike)?

EDIT: And of course, do i need to do anything to the plexi before paiting it?

Hope someone have some experience to share :D

- IK

Last edited: 14 Mar 2007
  2. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Well painting the inside or "reverse side is possible even with a spraycan paint. Just remember to keep a distance from the plexi or the aerosols will effectively eat away the plexi that is being painted. macroman did so to his Macro Black project in 2005 http://www.bit-tech.net/article/63/
    Remember NOT to post in the forum thread, old readers will frown upon it even though i dont get the reason. this mod is seriously one to remember and the scale i judge most mods on. :baby:

Last edited: 14 Mar 2007
  3. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Another place to check is local hobby shops for Radio Control cars. They have clear lexan bodies for replacements and these are painted on the inside. They can tell you what paints stick to acrylic. They also might point you to the airplane section for self adhesive films for different colors. Clear, transparent, mirror(I like these for my acrylic builds.

Some thoughts

4. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Just use some Krylon Fusion, it seems to stick pretty good to acrylic. I sprayed some on a scrap piece, looks pretty good.

It's designed for plastic so it should work just fine.

5. Mr-IK

Mr-IK Member

Thank you! 3 nice advices :clap: :clap: :clap:

6. hujambo_Bwana

hujambo_Bwana New Member

If you build up the layers slowly with very thin dusting of paint it sticks better.

Last edited: 15 Mar 2007