1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Painting/Powdercoating

Discussion in 'Modding' started by cyberspyder, 24 Jan 2007.

1. cyberspyder

cyberspyder Canuck

I have a TEC build in progress, and I want to paint it black. Problem is that I am deciding whether i want to powdercoat it or paint it. Anyone know if the baking part of the powdercoating will melt plastic? If it does, will vinyl dye work?

Brendan

2. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I'm no expert, but I think it would melt. Also I think powdercoating requires electrically charging the piece to be coated, so that the powder adheres to it until it is baked. Plastic probably would not allow this to work. Plus powdercoating is much more expensive than painting, and vinyl dye works great, so best bet is to go with paint/vinyl dye.

3. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

You can only powder-coat conductive metals. The paint itself is made from plastic granules that are melted onto the application surface.
    Vinyl dye only works on certain plastics and has to be applied in very very thin coats 30 minutes apart, then the plastic has to be untouched and undisturbed for several days.

It's just not a good idea to paint a TEC.

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

All i know is that most ABS plastic don't work. I had a long chat with the painting guy when i had my rig painted and we cameto the the conclusion that 350*C isn't really that good for anything...

5. cyberspyder

cyberspyder Canuck

I not painting the TEC, just the inside, back, and the bottom of the case.

Brendan

EDIT: so I can vinyl dye the Saitek Eclipse II keyboard?

6. brimal_rage

brimal_rage What's a Dremel?

plastic will most likely melt. those ovens get very very hot, too hot to touch sometimes. i worked in a powder painting shop, they only painted metal or aluminum, and after they were done they got pretty hot sometimes. the thicker the metal the more they retained the heat they had from the oven.