1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Painting Text/Design on case side panel

Discussion in 'Modding' started by rexo12, 16 Jul 2014.

1. rexo12

rexo12 What's a Dremel?

So, I recently got into modding, and i decided i'd start off doing something simple, such as painting my case. Now, i don't just want to paint the whole thing a different colour, because the colour it is right now is fine, but what i want to do is paint a sort of "Tag" on my case, something that gives it more sentimental value. So i did a quick sketch in Gimp:

[​IMG]

And that's basically how i want it to roll(not exactly, but you get the gist). Now, i've searched the internet for a tutorial on doing text and that with spraypaints, but to no avail. So, i've come here for help. How would i go about painting this on? I assume i'd need to make a stencil for it, but when it comes to applying paint, i know you have to sand off the original paint first, but do i have to sand off the whole side panel, or just the area i'm using? I'm a complete newbie. And the guides haven't really helped. So any in depth guiding from you guys would be much appreciated.

On a side note; the case i'm modding is a Cougar Volant White.

Thanks for reading.

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Morning. I can't help you with your painting but just so you know - your first post wasn't deleted. Your first 10 posts require moderation and so will take a while to show up.

Welcome to the forums!

GK

3. rexo12

rexo12 What's a Dremel?

Yeah thought as much. I didn't notice it until i had posted a second time :p Well thanks for the info.

4. Greg.Rylatt

Greg.Rylatt What's a Dremel?

Hello Rexo if i was doing this i would sand down the whole pannel as its much harder to just sand down where the text is going to be, but then you will have the problem of trying to match the spray paint with the case :(

But i have a idea that i think would look nice:

[​IMG]

(couldn't find a side view of a white version)

The idea behind this is you mask off the bulge on the side of the case and then sand the area down, after doing that make the stencil for the text out of something like vinyl and stick that where you want, then spray the masked off area black (Matte black would look nice and its easier to do) and then when you peal of the vinyl it will have the text in white with a black background with the surrounding still white so you wont have to try and match the paint again.

Hope this helps and maybe gives you some ideas.

Im also new to case modding and im going to be starting my first project soon! :)

5. rexo12

rexo12 What's a Dremel?

That looks about right. The side im painting does not have a fan grill, so that should be all good. I'll see if i can get some paint cards and try and match the colour best i can. Any ideas on what grit sandpaper etc etc? I've heard anything around 400-800 is good for cases.