1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Painting Touch Pad?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bluknight, 23 Feb 2006.

1. bluknight

bluknight New Member

Hey, I was just wondering if it's a good idea or a :wallbash: type of idea to paint a touchpad. I'm not entirely sure how touchpads work, but if they work how I am thinking, i don't think a thin layer of paint would hurt it.

(I'm planning on modding my laptop)

Last edited: 23 Feb 2006
  2. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 New Member

I doubt if it would hurt it, but it might make it less responsive to your touch, and if I remember correctly they bend a bit when you press them, which might cause the paint to crack and peel off. I don't think its a very good idea to paint one of those.

3. ajack

ajack rox

I personally wouldn't do it - they're pretty sensitive and painting over it will prolly make it less responsive. They're heat sensitive too (iirc - hence why you can't use a pencil etc) so a layer of paint isn't going to conduct much heat...

4. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

most touchpads are capacitive they respond to the capacitance of your finger(which is why they dont work with pencils) dont know if it would work through paint though

Moriquendi

5. Damske

Damske New Member

If you have a look at the new Ipod Videos you'll see that their touch pads work through the protective case they provide (about a 2mm thick suede? case). So I'd say it'd probably work. That said don't come knocking on my door if it doesn't... :D

6. MightyMouse

MightyMouse New Member

Not that I've tryed or anything. But if it works through the protective caseing, it probly should work through one of those latex thingys with pictures on it. Like the kind you can get as case wraps.

Would be a killer mod if it works, and if it doesnt it shouldent be too hard o peel it off again.

7. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake New Member

Trouble is, the material they use is low-friction, not all paint is.

8. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

if you do paint it, use vinyl dye, because that is absorbed into the plastic rather than forming a layer on top of it. it should preserve the texture of the surface much more so than normal lacquer, and also result in a much more responsive pad.

9. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Did anybody see the toshiba laptop on sale a while ago (probably bout 18months now)?
    It had a small lcd display behind the touchpad to display a logo or similar. Was a pretty good idea.

The problem with using vinyl dye is: if it goes wrong, there's no turning back as it is absorbed into the plastic.

10. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 New Member

Cant you just redye it again?

11. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

As in, if you paint it and it stops the touchpad working, you can just peel the paint off (probably), but if the vinyl dye messes it up, then you can't get it off (I don't think)

12. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd New Member

Won't the paint wear off with use? That seems like that would mean that even if it did work your little modjob would get ruined fast.