1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Painting

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Devil_H@ck, 21 Jun 2003.

1. Devil_H@ck

Devil_H@ck What's a Dremel?

I'm ready to paint my case, in fact, everything is standing/laying here before me, so I'm totaly to start, but I've got a question.

The spray cans (brand = Motip, the same as Dupli-Color) say that I can apply multiple coats, but I have to do it within 30 minutes. But does this mean that I have to spray the colour on to the case within 30 minutes of applying the primer and afterwards spray the lacquer within 30 minutes of applying the last colour layer?

I was also wondering if you want a mirror finish, do you really need to sand down every layer?

Last edited: 21 Jun 2003
  2. ndtinker

ndtinker Car Washoholic

Are you sure it's not "wait 30 min. between coats?"

I've never seen a can say to do that. Primer usually dries quickly, but I like to wait a few hours between anyway. The color and clearcoats I like to wait 24hrs. betwen coats. Some say that's overkill, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

The last time I painted, I didn't sand between ANY of the coats and it came out beautifully. It's not a perfect mirror in flatness, but it is a near-perfect reflection.

The case I did before it, I sanded between every single coat and it really didn't look much better. The only difference was that the finish was a tad smoother to the touch. Either way, it will look good.

Another thing: if you're using a metallic paint and are going to do the sanding, don't sand the color coats, just sand between the last clearcoats. That will prevent the metal flakes from being scraped out.

Good luck!

3. Devil_H@ck

This is what's on the cans (all of them have the same text):
    ".... For best results apply 2-3 light coats. Allow 3-5 mins. between coats but no longer than 30 mins......"

It's car paint, so it should be ok. Thanks for letting me know that I don't have to sand ;). I think I'll just sand the final color layer so that it's really smooth before I apply the lacquer (would this make the top layer look dull?).

So, what should I do? Wait 5 mins. between each coat or wait a few hours? I read some tips about Dupli-Color paint from someone from this forum (don't remember who it was) and he said to wait a few hours. This is the same brand as the Dupli-Color paint, but I don't know if the Dupli-Color paint is to be used on cars.

4. Tribal Dragon

Tribal Dragon Insomniac modder!

well.. there's two way to paint... You can put a coat, let dry for about 15-20 mins then you put another coat and so on... OR, you put a coat, then let dry for 6-8 hours, then put another coat and so on...

the only difference that you'll notice is the waiting time in the end... by waiting 6-8 hours between each coat, after everything's done, 24 hours and it will be hard as rock... if you wait 15-20 mins between the coats, then you'll have to wait 4-5 days so that the paint fully dries...

that's it... there's no difference between the 2 (tried both) except the drying time after the job...

I tend to wait only 15-20 minutes between each coat since I don't have a place at home to paint and I'm usually paint at my friend house... and like to do the job in 4-5 hours instead of a few days... still does a great job!!!

5. Devil_H@ck

Ok, so it doesn't really matter, got it :).
    But now I'm still not sure if I have to let the primer dry completely first (so wait 24h) and then apply the color or if I can apply the color 10 mins. after the last primer coat.
    And when you only wait 10 mins. after each coat, will the paint be as hard after 4-5 days as it would normally be when you wait longer between each coat?

Last edited: 21 Jun 2003
  6. Tribal Dragon

first, I strongly suggest you to wait a couple of hours between the primer and the color... bad things can happen when painting over primer that isn't fully dired... especially when there's not the same brands...

and yes, after 4-5 days, if you waited 20 mins between each coat and paint thin coats, everything will be as hard as if you waited 6-8 hours between each coat ;)

btw, the waiting time before each color coat is defined like that: when you can touch the paint and it's not sticky (usually after 10 mins), wait a 5-10 minutes more so that the paint isn,t sticky everywhere...

10 mins between each coat is a little fast...go for 20 mins ;) go slowly, take your time and everything will be alright :D

you better spray 4 thin coats than 2 thick... that way, your paint will not scratch easily.

on the other hand, thick coats of clear (be careful so that it doesn,t run, just get an even wet look when clearing) can give a really nice glossy effect especially if you use a compound after ;)

remember, the clear is the most important stage when painting because it will protect your paint from scratching and will give the shiny look ;)

7. Clockworks999

Clockworks999 What's a Dremel?

Personally I would follow the times quoted on the can- after all, the paint manufacturer probably knows best how their paint works!
    The timings will refer to the time to allow between each colour coat - you need to allow time for the thinner to "flash off", but not so long that the paint dries totally. If you apply the coats too quickly, the thinner will be trapped between the coats (it will then take a long time to dry, and may run). If you leave it too long between coats you may get poor adhesion, unless you flat it down each time.
    Definately allow the primer to dry overnight, then flat down just before you apply the colour. Allow the final colour coat to dry overnight, then flat down before applying the clear. Finish with rubbing compound, if required (to remove any overspray), then auto wax.

Drying times depend on the air temperature and humidity. I always spray indoors, where it is warm, dry and dust free (it's my house, so I can paint where I want!), but remember to allow adequate ventilation.

Cheers

8. Tribal Dragon

yeah, Clockworks999 is totally right!

but you don't touch the last color coat if you use metallics... else you'll remove the flakes!!! :nono:

and if you really want your paint to dry fast, after 15-20 minutes, move your parts to the sun... they'll dry pretty fast!

when I prime outside, if I sand after, I can primer every 4-5 minutes since it dries soo fast under the sun ;)

9. Pflumingo

Pflumingo givem the bird.

After screwing up the side panel of my friends case (which I made him) I repaired by sanding, then applying primer, 3 color coats and a clearcoat, just like the original, but It took me less than 1/2 an hour to do all this... why? I used a heat gun on low setting between coats, and it turned out beautiful, can't even see the missing section (about 1 inch around) or the repair job...

I know that the plastic adhesion promoter I use on plastic bezels (so I can match color with the automotive paint, vinyl dye doesn't come in metalflake) you are supposed to wait till it looks hazy (about 3 minutes) then apply the paint before it dries completely, and I get perfect results every time, the plastic primer(adhesion promoter) attaches itself to the paint layer if it's still wet, but if it dries completely, it will easily scratch off.

10. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I'm no painting genius, but heres the forumla i follow thin coats, applied 20 mins appart, then after i do all my primer coats, then i have to wait about 24, then i sand the primer coats with 1200-2000 (what ever i have lying aroudn) then I apply my color coats, wait another 24 hrs, sand that at 2000, then lacquer, wait 24hrs, then buffing compound, and wax

11. Grump

Grump The Mad Modder

I have yet to find a better painting guide than those found at PCWorkshop. There is another excellent painting guide right here at Bit-Tech by Spike.

There are some excellent suggestions here in this thread, but I just can't go with the advice to not sand between coats (except metallics, which should NOT be sanded). I run into this kind of thing a lot -- where someone with normally good advice will suggest you take the shortcut that has "always" worked for them. Well, I don't know why EVERY professional and EVERY top notch hobby painter sands between coats if it ain't necessary. I know I woulda loved savin' all those hours I spent sanding.

Well, read the good painting guides, the labels on your paint products and the advice of painters whose work you can see first hand the quality of. Then do whatever you think is right for you.

Grump

Last edited: 1 Feb 2019
  12. Devil_H@ck

Thanks for all the info.
    Keeping in mind that this is told on all cans: "Allow 3-5 mins. between coats but no longer than 30 mins." (Primer, color & lacquer are all the same brand of car paint)

I think I'll do it like this:
    - Sand pannels with 600 grid sandpaper
    - Apply primer, wait 10-15 mins., apply next primer coat, ...
    - Let it dry overnight
    - Sand down with 1500 or 2000 grid sandpaper
    - Apply color, wait 10-15 mins., apply next color coat, ...
    - Let it dry overnight
    - Sand down with 1500 or 2000 grid sandpaper
    - Apply lacquer, wait 10-15 mins., apply next color coat, ...

Would that be all right? Would I get a really shiny surface that way (I'll wax/buff it afterwards)?

I'm still not sure if I should wait 10-15 mins. or 3-5 mins.
    If I follow the advice on the cans it would be impossible to sand between each coat, so what should I do: follow the advice on the cans or wait longer and sand a lot?

*mod: I just read that guide at PC-Workshop and I think I'm going to follow that one, it's great :). Now I need to get myself a sanding block, some sandpaper and rubbing compound :).

**mod 2: I just surfed to the Motip site and found a tips & tricks page which says:
    "The first coat can be seen as "pre-spraying"; by spraying the second and third coat while the previous coat is still wet, with a time difference of 1-2 minutes between each coat, you achieve a smooth and equal surface. Further coats, if necessary, can be sprayed only after 24 hours, while otherwise the possibility exists that previous paint coats do not attach to the surface and come off again."
    So I should be ok if I wait longer then 30 mins. between each coat :).

Last edited: 22 Jun 2003
  13. Devil_H@ck

Ok, I've just wet sanded my side and top panels down with some +- 700 grid, but there's something weird.
    I know for sure there were bumps in the beige paint before I sanded it down, but now there are all these light beige speckles. I don't know for sure if they are really, really small bumps or not. Is this something bad or are those just the sanded down bumps from before the sanding process?

14. Pflumingo

Pflumingo givem the bird.

Get down to bare metal if you can, or just keep sanding... Use a buildup, sandable primer and it won't ever show.

15. Devil_H@ck

Well, I decided to sand again and that was a good decision :).
    It's really, really smooth now, except for a few spots off to the edge of the panels, I had this on all of them, but I noticed most of them. Well, there are like 2 more, but it's not that bad, they're quite smooth anyway.

I just sprayed everything clean with a waterhose and I'm waiting for my workbench which I placed in the garden to dry now. Once it's dry I'll start applying the primer. I'm quite sure it's sandable.

Another question though. I read on the PC-workshop site that you have to wait at least 1 hour before wet sanding the primer coat, but a friend told me to wait at least 1 day!? What should I do?

16. linear

linear Minimodder

I've got a painting and finish sanding guide in PCExtreme, probably this issue. I can never keep the publication dates straight, andI can't get the mag here in the US. But once it's published, I'll get to put it on the bit site as a proper article.

Meanwhile, check it out:
    [​IMG]

17. linear

linear Minimodder

Follow the directions on the can. Products vary somewhat, so always look to the package directions first.

18. Devil_H@ck

OMG :jawdrop: I can't even see the colour of your case.
    Well, I don't want it that mirrorish, since it won't be nice next to this "psycho" green (I know that isn't a colour, but I call it that way since I'm like 7 year old and you all know what I mean ;)) since it won't be that shiny. But omg, that rox :). I couldn't see at first what's the side pannel and what's your garden :D.

Well, the can says I can't spray a new laying after 30 mins., so I'll let it dry 3-4 hours just to be sure :).

One more time, amazing!!!

19. ndtinker

ndtinker Car Washoholic

I think that IS the color of his case..

Um.. Linear, is that metallic spraypaint or bare metal? It's gotta be paint, but HOW THE HECK did you do that?

I've tried "silver" spraypaint before and it always turned out a greyish/silvery color.

Ugh, can't wait for that article!

Btw, No sanding with this one, at all. Good enough for me.

[​IMG]
    :thumb:

20. Devil_H@ck

I'm quite sure it's black, but I can't see it :lol:.