1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Panasonic demos 50" plasma 3D TV

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Sep 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I already got a pair of glasses on my face. I don't need another. Yes they need to work on some sort of technology which will ditch glasses.

3. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

I predict we'll still need the glasses when they use them to project the image directly on to our retinas, plus the in the ear noise-cancelling earphones, while also introducing electrodes to our temples or thereabouts that will send impulses to our brains thereby introducing smell into the equation.

I can see these new TV's being massively successful in home cinema rooms and owned by the filthy rich.

Give it 5-10 years and we'll all be watching Corrie in 3D.

4. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

I am all for full immersion, let's work on that! EVE Online in a holodeck like immersion!

5. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Burn Panasonic to the ground. That horror doesn't need an extra dimension.

Seems a good idea, tho the glasses could be the down fall of it. Can't wait until full 3D like the shark in the billboard in back to the future arrives.

6. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Couldn't agree more.

7. magnetar68

magnetar68 What's a Dremel?

3D Will be Popular, but not for everyone

I recently purchased the a Samsung 120Hz-input 2233RZ LCD monitor and the NVIDIA 3D Vision glasses. Overall, gaming in 3D adds a lot to the experience. For me, the upside of the emersion outweighs the downside of the glasses. This is not universally true, but so far, the handful of people who have seen my setup think it's very cool (not statistically significant).

Playing games at Full HD on a 50" TV would definitely increase the value of the experience above what I have now. It is all going to be about the price premium. If I could replace my current 46" LCD TV with another one that supported 3D games for under $2000, it would be a brainer. If I needed a new TV anyway (say mine "accidentally" got knocked over), and the premium for 3D over not 3D was a few hundred dollars, then it would be a no-brainer: I would get the 3D.

If I had this setup and there were some full HD 3D movies like Up!, then I would certainly watch them even though they required glasses. But it would be great if someone could make the glasses very light and make them so they did not dim the picture too much.

BTW, yes, no one is crazy about glasses, but the quality of the 3D is much higher than what you may have seen in the past, so whether the glasses are a show stopper may change for some people once they experience it first hand. But I also think there are people will say no way to the glasses because for them, the 3D does not add enough utility.

8. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I woudnt buy a 3D TV yet untill there is a standard, this is the new format war :) There are 3 types of 3D TV I can think of.

9. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

3D screens are one thing that just fails to turn me on. I've tried a couple (namely the Zalman 3d screen and the new nvidia-120 Hz TFT-bollocks) and they just don't work. I guess this is something that could eventually be perfected, but so far I'm just not impressed and don't give a shiit.

10. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

I was impressed with the nvidia 3d glasses, but at the cost of a new screen, would drop it. Now if I could find a 120hz 15.4" or sub 20" monitor that I could convert into a projector,,,, well, I'll be all over that.

11. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

well adjusted hdtv's already do a pretty decent job of showing you good details.. I guess my opinion doesn't matter as I haven't seen football in 3d yet, but wearing a bunch of glasses during a game.. not sure that could fit under cool- and what if they bring marv alberts back and he starts acting like a rat launching at the screen trying to bite the back of your neck- you would flip out

this would sell big in san francisco though.. imagine all the guys renting flicks and sitting with their mouths open

12. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I read 1080p I read 3DTV and then I read consumer market 2010, all I can say is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaat chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaance lol. There are still thousands without HDTV's nevermind 1080p 3DTV'S!!! This probably won't even take off till the next generation of console at best, and it's not really very glasses friendly is it! What about people with eyesight crap enough to have to wear glasses? They gotta wear 2 pairs? WTF?!

13. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Oooh. I just came in my pants a little....

Tags: Add Tags