1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Parents Laptops

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by freshsandwiches, 28 Mar 2016.

1. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

Hello,

Got two laptops with two very different problems.

1. Fujitsu V5505 - appears to post and boots to hard disk (which has expired preview win10 on it). Tried to reformat. Will not allow me to access bios. Where there used to be info on the post screen on how to access bios, there is now no text.

Not encountered this problem before. Removed the back hoping to find the CMOS battery and pull it. Couldn't see it in an accessible place without taking the whole thing apart.

2. HP G6000 - Running really hot. Doesn't appear to have picked up a lot of dust. However, I did try to clean it anyway. Problem is the Heatsink/CPU aren't accessible either. Don't really want to take the whole thing apart if I don't have to.

Any ideas?

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

If it's really hot - especially on the CPU area only (i.e the heat isn't spreading) then the contact with the CPU core is probably off or the paste has gone. Especially if it's old that's possible.

F2 if delete is not working. Otherwise remove the battery + MB battery for a while to try an old fashioned CMOS reset?

Both require some surgery :/

3. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

The HP sounds like it needs stripping and new paste and pads applied, you may also find dust, hair, fluff etc. has built up on the inside edge of the heatsink's fins next to the fan, which will prevent the fan and heatsink from doing their jobs.

As for the Fujitsu I'm not sure why you'd not see the BIOS prompt but I'm pretty sure it will be F2 for a Fujitsu to access it. Follow Bindi's advice as a starting point.

4. freshsandwiches

Bindi and Woody.

That's exactly what I feared :sigh:

Thanks guys :)

5. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

Stripping them isn't difficult really, just keep track of the screws and be careful with the plastics. There's a service guide for the HP here which will guide you through the disassembly and reassembly: http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01295900.pdf

It looks like you'll need both paste and pads for that model.

6. freshsandwiches

Thanks for that Comrade.

It'll be a project for sometime during the holidays.

I'll let you know how I get on.

7. bsp

bsp Minimodder

Not sure about bios access.. but can you get to a boot menu by hitting escape or f12?

8. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

If the laptop is uefi then you may not have time to f2 to bios. If you can boot to OS you can hold shift and reboot and it will give you a boot menu in which uefi settings may be an option.

Edit try escape, or f2 or f12 or f10 or delete.