1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics parralel or sereis

Discussion in 'Modding' started by fuzzygoblin, 30 Jan 2004.

1. fuzzygoblin

fuzzygoblin What's a Dremel?

hey guys im trying too use rca pugs to get porwe to multiple units, o i need to wire the grounds in parralel or can i do it in series i know i have to run the + im parralell to so each one get 12v but do i hvae to run the grounds the same way? please correct me if im wrong

2. Ardentfrost

Ardentfrost What's a Dremel?

I think you're missing a important factor of "parallel" and "series"

That factor being that in order to wire something in either way, it takes two ends of each device.

Basically, with power and GND, power is power and gnd is gnd... you can't really put something that requires power and ground in series.

If repeating W's are resistors (which don't require Vdd or GND), series is like this:

------WWWW----WWWW------WWWW-----

See? 3 resistors in series.... all in a row... one head connected to the previous tail.

Parallel is like this

--|--WWWW--|--
    |--WWWW--|
    |--WWWW--|

Now, if you pretend that the |'s are verticle wires, then you can see that every resistor head is connected together, and every resistor tail is connected together.

Inside your computer, all grounds are connected together (unless it's a digital ground and that's usually only for ADC's because they suck and take black magic to work anyway). For the most part, same goes for voltage rails. So, even though you don't realize it, the Voltage that powers your video card and sound card and motherboard are all in parrallel of sorts.

So, to answer your question, just connect your ground wires to any ground and it'll work. :D

3. fuzzygoblin

fuzzygoblin What's a Dremel?

ok thanks for that i am a to noob to electronics so i wasnt sure but not for long becaue i am doing it in hightschol this year thansk mate