1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits Parrot AR.Drone RC Helicopter Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 18 Jul 2010.

1. Nature

Nature Minimodder

But can it play Crysis? There, I beat you to it.

This is a cool toy that would have been spy movie stuff 40-30 years ago!

2. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

This looks pretty cool, but it costs £70 more here than in the US even taking tax into account :(

3. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

The Drone looks fun, but pricey enough...

Here's an alternative.

http://www.toys.ie/3-Channel-Metal-...essionID=467a3e17-47e5-407d-9a24-d124a0c28056

Girlfriend got me one the other week, helicopter charges off USB, full charge lasts about an hour, maybe more. Crashed it so many times, but it keeps flying perfectly. Even comes with spare rotors. I simply cannot recommend it enough! Great fun.

The Drone looks like fun, but I'm not really willing to fork out that much for something I won't fly that often after the first few months.

4. dispie

dispie What's a Dremel?

cool toy but only 13 min batt is not much,

some people near me have a metal chopper about 30 cm but they spent hours already just to get it to fly strayed or do anything at all accept for crash

5. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

Interesting, thanks for the link, but you say that full charge last for an hour where as the link says flys for 3 minuites on full charge?

This Drone looks great, I will definatly be monitoring the price to see if theres any drop (or even a cheaper version?). The current price is annoying however, another good reason to use Bundlebox to ship from the US and pay their prices:

http://www.bundlebox.com/

Even with shipping and tax it would still be £30-£40 cheaper (assuming a weight of under 2.5kg)

6. Tasslehoff

Tasslehoff What's a Dremel?

Wow, cool toy but at £300 I don't think so, I doubt I would even pay £50 for it as the novelty factor would wear off quite quickly probably after a couple charges :)

7. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Silly price, I have an engine powered rc plane that cost about the same and its way cooler than that plastic thing !!

8. Muunsyr

Muunsyr What's a Dremel?

Wifi, camera, altimeter, open source ARM9 with 128MB. I wonder how long before someone has it auto-navigating and patrolling within range of home networks. I see huge potential for this thing. :) Pity I am going to be a student for the next few years...

9. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Well, the charge that I gave the little chopper has lasted an age, so it's very much longer than what it states :)

10. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

All the talk about it only lasting about 13 minutes, but no mention of how long it takes to charge it back up?

Amazing little toy though. I would love one, but it's about twice the price I would pay for something like that. I also know that after a day of screwing around with it, I would probably not use it again very much.

11. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

How high does it go? does it have a payload capability to speak of? maybe a can of beer.....?

12. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

Yeah that would be nice to know too. I can imagine getting super bored of this really fast. But if you could make it carry the remote across the room to someone that could be nice, and you could do fun little games with it too like try to collect stuff and transport it.

13. Bill Peters

Bill Peters What's a Dremel?

There is a nice Open Source project called OpenPilot that is aiming for a more advanced version, something that is a full UAV, looks a cool project and it is all non-profit as well so the hardware is much cheaper.

Seems most of the info in on their forums, forums.openpilot.org

14. Reaps

Reaps What's a Dremel?

it's a lipo battery so it'll charge at 1C so it'll take an hour to charge from 0%. Parrots price tag on replacement batteries is about 3-4 times the price of buying a branded battery with a good discharge rate from a reputable rc source.

First thing i'll be doing is replacing the battery connectors for something more common (deans for instance) then i'll be be able to use any battery and gain longer flight times.

Oh and to the poster who said that you need a licence to fly an rc heli/plane that's not correct, no licence required but you can get certification from the bmfa/saa so you are insured. However if the caa class this as a uav/uas then i don't see it being on the uk shelfs very long as you need an 'operators licence' for that.

Even the police got caught out, linky...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/feb/15/police-drone-arrest-backfires

15. tscheifler

tscheifler What's a Dremel?

16. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

man I keep coming back to this and going I want this but 13mins of battery time no thank you, makes the thing useless, is there a way to up the flight time to like well double that? hit 30mins? then I would snag this in a heart beat, I mean is there like better battery packs or somethin?

17. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Tags: Add Tags