1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Partition 300 gig?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by John Cena, 29 Nov 2005.

1. John Cena

John Cena What's a Dremel?

How would you guys split a 300 gig?

Infact, should I even partition it? It will be used to store DVD's, movies, backups, mp3s (all legal).

Any performance issues etc?

BTW it's a Segate Baracudda SATA 300 gig I got for 90 bucks heh. I also bought a Maxtor 300 gig for 80 bucks that has 16mb cache. Should I return that? Cause I heard some bad things about Maxtor

2. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

i wouldn't partition it there is't any point.

and i don't give a toss if the stuff is legal or not thats your bizz :thumb:

Segate Baracudda very nice drives i have the 200GB ones.

i'v had no probs with Maxtor but my Maxtor drive is slow but that could be coz its a cheap one lol

it does't change performance at all if you do or don't on 2000 or xp

3. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I don't trust Maxtor after seeing what happened to my friend, who had something like 4 Maxtors fail in 2 weeks :S

I don't think you should partition it. 300GB will fill up a lot more quickly than you thought if you are going to be ripping movies, and backing up data.

Oh yea, I have 2 300GB barracudas too, in a single 600GB parition, they are great! They run cool and are pretty quiet too.

4. SKiNFreak

SKiNFreak What's a Dremel?

I had this question too. I am one of those who likes to reformat a couple of time a year though, so I splite mine 100gb for programs and 200gb for....um...DVD....and other....stuff ;-)

I don't think that there would be any performance issues at all though.

5. ridiculous

ridiculous What's a Dremel?

yeah if the drive is purely for storage i would just leave it unpartitioned.

6. pillow

pillow What's a Dremel?

i have a maxtor drive, it works perfectly for me. and where did you get those hd's for that cheap.

edit:dont make a partition.