1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows partition magic question

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gascan1888, 27 Apr 2006.

1. Gascan1888

Gascan1888 What's a Dremel?

i have a server set up with 5 scsi drives, and what i want to do is merge all hard drives into 1 letter. i cant figure out how to do this. can somebody help ? i have partition magic but not sure what that would be called.

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

partition magic is for splitting not spanning
    (and even if it can do it, I wouldn't trust it, I've had all sorts of problems with partition magic)

Its best to avoid software spanning or RAID, so what youll need is a SCSI RAID controller. If all of the drives are the same/similar size, you can use RAID5 to facilitate redundancy by sacrificing one drive worth of space(if a drive dies, you dont lose any data)

If not, you can just use spanning, or JBOD (just a bunch of disks) which will simply combine all of the drives into one volume and will appear as a single drive in your OS.

3. Washfordmonkey

Washfordmonkey What's a Dremel?

that sounds more trouble than its worth..
    what would u want it for?

4. -=ByteMan=-

-=ByteMan=- What's a Dremel?

You could assign the 1st drive a drive letter, then mount the other four drives under an empty directory on the first drive.

Tags: