Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by imersa, 27 Apr 2017.
Excellent project) I will follow)
We return for another round! i1.0 Prototype-I has been performing very well and with the monoblock fitted it feels complete, definitely the best system in the office for a quick game of PUBG. So instead of cannibalizing it's parts and swapping in a different motherboard we will be building i1.0 Prototype-II.
Each decision on the original was focused around keeping it as small and simple as possible, now we have a little more time it will be taking the opposite route. Just the same concept but a very different approach...
Furia - 73 x 320 x 335mm - 7.8l -76%
X2.0 - 250 x 250 x 310mm - 19.4l -40%
i1.0-I - 235 x 307 x 350mm - 25.2l -22%
VEER1.0 - 267 x 307 x 357mm - 29.3l -10%
i1.0-II - 285 x 320 x 355mm - 32.4l 0%
Manta - 245 x 426 x 450mm - 47.0l +45%
Getting a little wider but for good reason a 30mm acrylic plate through the center houses the reservoir (20mm thick internally), the motherboard, active cooling for the rear M.2 drive and the rear side of the CPU socket as well as all the distribution of cables and coolant. Front and rear chambers are also a little wider giving extra fan clearance and room for a wider GPU.
The PSU has moved to the back with an EK PE 240mm in it's place out front. Then surrounding the PSU in the rear chamber will be a second PE 240mm and an additional PE 120mm leaving just enough room to route the PSU cables. The dual SPC pumps will be dropped in favour of a single D5 REVO but the GPU and motherboard block will remain in parallel.
We collected the 30mm polished acrylic block yesterday and all of the stainless steel screws are due next week so building will commence very soon!
With the designs finished they went straight onto the next white drawing on Thursday, along with some X2.0 parts, S2.0 accents and some experimental S3.0 parts.
Getting the offcuts down to very small pieces lately, just the occasional window left which make awesome little pieces to cut inlays or KFC plates.
The entire case done!
So time to move onto the 30mm block!
After cutting all the features on the rear side it was parted out and then pressed into a negative milled from MDF to add all the features on the front.
Definitely the most complicated single piece we've cut with the possible exception of MATE and there are still some elaborate secondary operations to go so it's all been sent away with JR23 to get finished up. Lots more to come very fast!
More Acrylic Awesomeness
Small teaser from me, big update tomorrow!
I do like wallpaper-grade teasers.
There would have been an update yesterday but so much work was put in there was no time, straight off to sleeps. First task was drilling out the re-purposed monarch X2 to 3.1mm, tight clearance for M3.
Then of course countersunk to get the screws flush. Because there were features on both sides of our block the acrylic will be tapped instead of the copper.
Fitment check looking OP.
The positions for the coldplate were marked accurately with 2.5mm end mill but not taken to full depth as the collet wouldn't fit inside the slot so they were all drilled after.
M3 tapping for the motherboard and M.2 coldplate taken care of.
Because the plate was 30mm with 5mm lids in both sides that left enough thickness to a fill port along the top edge. The inside panel was added to mark it out and the lids on either side to strengthen the part while drilling. First 5mm, then 8mm...
Small CS added to help the thread lead in nicely.
And tapped to 1/4" BSPP
Quickly tapped the other 100 or so #6-32 UNC holes and 6 1/4" and it's ready for the nice clean work!
Nitrile rubber o-ring cord all cut and bonded.
Each o-ring was greased and fitted, mainly to get that really nice glossy look through the clear acrylic and help it all slide together.
Our modified Monarch part going in with the original o-ring and new M3x12mm stainless screws.
And just the same with the Supremacy coldplate. We didn't use the internal EVO jet plate parts instead opting for a much simpler design which left more material behind to screw the lids onto the opposite side.
Pt.2 and 3 following on as soon as we can upload them
If you papa john'd when you should have domino'd, you're gonna have a bad time.
Just like that it's all done, pic heavy this time, enjoy.
...and the front side.
Just needs a motherboard to complete, intro. ASUS Z370i Strix...
Still more to go!
Here. It. Is. Piece by piece.
Guess we do have time for a little look around our complete case!
Lots more inbound soon!
Awesome job... May you tell us how did you glue your nitril seals please?
You use super glue, but you only get one shot. If you mess it up it won't bond. You have to slice off the glue and start again.
Ok, fine, thanks for the tip!
I must be getting soft in the head. I kept wondering when you would mill out bits to clear motherboard components. I never thought you would waterblock the mounting plate.
The shipment has been located and we now have all the required watercooling supplies to complete our evil project, I mean, project. Just an ordinary project.
No time for that unboxing hype, time to equip the blackest radiators with the whitest fans and test fit everything.
As with every other piece of the build we got Stainless screws for that task too.
So onto the radiators in the back too...
Total whiteout on the front!
And the beautiful D5-REVO to try out also.
We don't yet have the correct screws to mount the D5, however it's looking pretty close. It may need a little material removing from the feet to the front pipe 100% true but that should be a fun job.
The test fit all went very nicely, everything accurately coming together. When the pump screws roll in that will get set correctly, then fan/pump wires planned out and then taken apart to execute those.
Separate names with a comma.