1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Pascal and Polaris Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 25 Aug 2015.

1. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Any imparted wisdom will be appreciated on here I am sure. You just know that's what they're probably doing /cynicism

Yes I wrestled with the idea of grabbing a reference card for block compatibility, for all of 3 seconds.

Check post #354

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Vapo is nowhere near $100 worth. $10 tops.
    The power delivery of 3rd parties is always waaay above what Foxconn do.

The first batches will only be ~10k units, that's bin-able.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I do yes. In the past their cards sold in low numbers, because they always allowed some one to go better*

OK so you see the *? well that was for stuff like Titan, Titan Black and Titan X. Nvidia refused to let any AIB make a custom card or sell it with an after market cooler. Right up until the Hybrid by EVGA (the only custom Titan X) and even then it was a stock card underneath. EVGA and Gigabyte both sold Titans with aftermarket coolers, but they were in the box and not fitted to the card. You had to do that... See also - Colorful 1080 with water block. Only it's separate in the box.

If Nvidia had allowed AIBs to do this with the 1080 they would again find that not many people actually plump up and pay for the stock card. Not unless they were going SLI or wanted the heat out of the case.

If I look around I see no stock 980tis being bought or used. Mostly people opt for the Zotac Extreme thing or the MSI gaming etc.

And those, whilst not exactly being lost sales, lose money for Nvidia. They made sure Titan was mainly profit for them and they made sure that there were no stock 6gb 780s (only MSI and maybe Gigabyte made these) and so on and so forth.

Nvidia want all of the money with their big cards. The 1080 is not a big card but hey, why the f*ck not?

They are pushing buttons and they are pushing limits. They are targeting people with shortcomings. See also - Apple. And it sucks.

The aftermarket cards (especially the Hybrid) are going to smash the stock card so Nvidia are making sure that the weak and the needy crumble and buy theirs first.

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I have two reference 980Ti. Sorry, stop talking in broad generalisations.

5. Vault-Tec

You have two, so probably selected them for SLi. Am I right?

Any way have a look around you and see how few are actually using SLi. I think out of all of the 980ti sales we have had here one was stock and it didn't sell. The first 980ti on sale was the Zotac. Two flavours, regular and extreme. IIRC the stock cards actually came later.

Which would explain why Nvidia are doing this now. Maybe because they didn't make their usual "Titan Tax"? on the 980ti? maybe they want that from every card now?

Edit. Actually yeah, it would seem that's exactly what they are doing. $100 premium, make it so that people don't actually have a choice = boom. Loads of lovely money.

Only the weak will buy the FE. Only there are countless weak people out there.

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The 'stock' versions of previous generations generally ended up being available at a premium over OEM open-cooler versions shortly after launch anyway, if you can even find them at all.
    If you want a blower cooler (for better cooling and lower noise in SLI, SFF, or just a low airflow cases) then your options are either the Nvidia cooler (very very good), or an OEM blower (inevitably very very bad). There are no more aftermarket blowers, and the OEM blowers generally turn out to be stock blowers from a few generations ago dug out of excess stock (e.g. the Zotac 970 blower is the Zotac 760 blower).

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

This. The stock cooler has its place - for me it's both SLI and mATX case sizes. The cooler is the best blower design, and will likely remain so. Yes I agree that NVIDIA are being sneaky by only having these more expensive FEs, but it's only a month. If it was six months then more fuss would be suitable.

8. Vault-Tec

There are no aftermarket blowers on certain cards. However, even the 980ti has a few cards sporting after market blowers.

https://eu.msi.com/Graphics-card/GTX-980-Ti-6GD5-V1.html#hero-overview

For example.

9. Deders

Deders Modder

Didn't realise the vapo was that low cost, but at the same time I still felt the extra cost was inflated. What did you think of the power measurements that were given here? (00:56:00 onwards)

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

When you're buying 10's of thou worth of vapo chambers the cost can be low.

I would strongly suspect any power measurements NV are giving direct are from a carefully selected low leakage part. Everyone uses golden samples; even review units. Wait for end-user reporting if possible.

11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Reading this thread I feel like there's a cold presence in the forum, like the ghost of AMDy come back to haunt us.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

[​IMG]

480X barely faster than a 980 and CF not faster than a 1080. If it's $300 then $600 worth of cards is the same price as a 1080, more power, still slower and you have to put up with CF drivers.
    Nvidia will happily dump prices of its 9xx line to cut any margin AMD has and at its 'high-end' the Fury series is still "4GB parts" competing with 8GB elsewhere. Makes me wonder why they didn't refresh Fury series for GDDR5X.

It does bring 390X performance down $150, but it's barely faster than a 3 year old Hawaii XT core.

13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

390x performance for $150 is a bargain. That is about £120 for a GTX 980!

14. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Down $150, not priced at $150 you silly.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Down by. That's if it is "$300".

980s are now ~$470 but the 1070 is "$379".

16. Vault-Tec

Isn't this their affordable VR card? I was thinking £200, not £300 !

If the 1070 ends up around £350 after the founders nonsense AMD have some thinking to do !

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well, if the 980 was then this is?

Really. Given it's the same sized GP104 silicon for 1070/1080: it also tells you the massive profit NV are making on the 1080 assuming they aren't selling the 1070 near cost (which would be crazy). I mean, yes, they'd want to ruin AMD's day, but it would be cut nose off to spite face considering it still has the 1060/50 etc to position too: can't sell too cheap out the gate.

18. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

and still the 295X2 is the fastest single card ;)

19. rollo

rollo Modder

The Radeon pro duo is the fastest single card you will find.

Duel nano destroys duel 290.

For a AMD fan it's fun you do not know this.

If they sell the 1070 at or near cost AMD are dead in the water.

20. Vault-Tec

Maybe they are meaning the 470 as the entry level VR card? I guess if that were £200 they would be onto a winner. Maybe the 480 will cost £250 and the X £300? that would sort of replace the 390, 390x and 380/x all in one swoop. It would also explain why OCUK are low on stock on most of the 3 series cards, why the Nano was so cheap lately and so on.