1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Pascal and Polaris Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 25 Aug 2015.

1. rollo

rollo Modder

And if dx12 does not get accepted they will launch another one.

We shall see this year how many dx12 only titles we get that are not on the windows store.

Windows 7 needs to die before dx12 will see widespread adoption is a feeling I have. Or MS needs to give Windows 7 dx12 ( never going to happen)

The giving away period of Windows 10 has ended or forced upgrades depending on who you ask. Let's see where the adoption rates go from here. Pretty big for both AMD and MS

2. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

DX11 is still getting going!

Hilarious. DCS World has only recently made the change to DX11.

Microsoft will have to stop releasing new DX versions in keeping with their decision not to go past windies 10.

Thus in 10 years 75% of devs will have adopted DX12 and we might even have 60% adoption of VR SLI.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

If there's one thing that can pry users away from Windows 7 it's DX12. Especially when Microsoft are giving away free games on the Win 10 store. That was what swayed me to put two of my three rigs on 10. They've been bragging recently how many people had made the switch. It was a lot...

They will probably stick Windows 10 on sale for £100 or so for the home edition and then a few months later make it free again for a short time. Just long enough to give the people who didn't upgrade some time to regret it (like they did with their initial £50 offer on Windows 8).

I pre ordered 8, then had time to think and cancelled it. I was gutted in the end because I really liked 8 (with the iobit start button of course).

I really hope that this works out for AMD. I've always kinda liked the guy that dares to think differently any way (I would) but with GCN they may actually finally get something back.

I still don't think they should have bothered with it until the 480 and concentrated more on less and more mhz but there you go, can't change it now. They obviously did what they felt was right and tried to predict the future but as we know PC stuff can take years to realise its potential and by then it's long replaced with something else.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

That is still true as well, dx9 has never really died yet.

5. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

I bought windies 8 when it was on sale at MS for £25.

6. Vault-Tec

Dev cycles on games can be huge. Fallout 4 for example took so long to make (because of all of the single player content) that by the time it was released it was massively outdated.

However, once that cycle ends a dev will move onto the next gen. Why would you want to code a game in DX11 knowing it would not sell as well as a DX12 title? why do you think the creators of ashes bothered with DX12? because they knew they would have a monopoly and that people who hated that sort of game would buy it any way just to benchmark.

DX9 has not been used in a big title for years now. Yeah, maybe the Indie game scene might still be using it but I know a guy who codes emulators and even he is using DX11 for his emulator. And he's like a total hobbyist coder.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

Borderlands pre sequel was dx9 launched early last year.

Dx11 everybody has, dx12 only Windows 10 users have. So you get only that market.

Fallout 4 is one of the better games launched, it's not out of date at all. Maybe from some tech point but no one who is playing it cares that it's dx11 or 12.

Games like battlefield 1 or the next call of duty been dx12 only would really kick the API into gear as it may force some upgrades. Rumours are battlefield 1 will be dx11 / 12 and Vulken.

With Call of Duty dx11 only. They are going to be the 2 big sellers this year.

The creators of ashes where the first onto dx 10 and 11. They move on quickly, as there RTS titles massively benefit from it usually.

I personally feel Vulken will be the big success story for API, has big dev support and supports 3 major OS Windows, Linux, OSX

8. Vault-Tec

Borderland TPS was utter crap. One of the biggest let downs I can remember.

DX11 is for Windows 7 only yes? it was never launched for XP so not every one has it (still loads of people using XP).

Fallout 4 looks like the back end of a gibbon's ass dude. I would clean your glasses. It's running on the Skyrim engine with a few Gamedoesntwork features bolted on.

Skyrim was released in 2011, BTW.

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

DX11 is still in active development, and the DX11 branch will still continue development. A low-level API is not suitable for all (or even most) development.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

How a game looks is not that relivent to a lot of people. Fallout 4 is still considered by many as the best game of 2015 the season pass stuff has also helped in that regard.

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Really? All I've ever heard about it is complaining about the dumbed-down dialogue tree and buggy (Bethesda-standard) engine. It has an 84 Metascore and a 5.4 User Score on Metacritic for the PC version (87/6.4 for PS4 and 88/6.2 for Xbox One), which contrasts with 91/7.9 for Fallout 3 (90/8 for PS3 and 93/8.5 for Xbox 360). Given those User Scores, I'd say that more people believe that Fallout 4 is not the best game of 2015 - nor even better than its predecessor.

12. Vault-Tec

Oh how you jest. Fallout 4 has no soul. I can't quite put my finger on why but maybe it was because they were too busy stuffing stupid ideas in it to add any real charm? maybe Fallout 3 and even New Vegas were both flukes? I don't know.

I played Fallout 4. That's about all I can say really. It was perfectly playable but it looked atrocious (some parts are so fuzzy they make me go boss eyed ffs) but it just lacked the spark that FO3 had.

Far Harbor completely fixed this. It's absolutely excellent and what the whole game should have been like. But sadly that's a 5 or so hour DLC.

Lots of people bought it too, but again that doesn't make it a good game. It simply means that FO3 had an enormous following and no one was going to miss buying it. I bought the Pip Boy edition but again, that doesn't make it a good game.

Fallout 4 is an OK RPG. That's about it. It works and you can play it but it just lacks soul.

As an example Fallout 3. Now I was sure that I had finished it. I was wandering around and an alleyway that I hadn't seen caught my eye. I wandered down it and ended up engrossed in a three hour quest that I had no idea existed. It wasn't a marked quest either, basically you had to have been scavving in a hotel and found a note written by some guy about "Moonbeam". You end up finding her (Sidney is her real name) and it just fills you with happiness.

The Keller Family Transcripts also was a quest that there was no quick way of doing (it wasn't marked so unless you cheated it meant literally opening every single box in the wasteland and the buildings. Then when you found all of the tapes you could go and open up a secret military vault and get the Experimental MIRC which fired eight mini nukes at once.

Fallout 4 just lacks any of that. It's like it's been sacrificed for other frivolity.

It might even just be that Boston is nowhere near as interesting or engaging as DC?

13. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

I must agree ; a friend with something like 600 hours in fallout 3 , doesn't even play fallout 4 anymore

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Just playing FO4 now and I can agree. It's all about shooting, building **** for people you don't care about and being sent places. Dialogue is VERY limited and controls are consolified - I have to reach for the arrow keys and enter button wtf? I'm just putting all my perks into build + shooting.
    There's no 'places' like Legion etc, just people existing.

15. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Glad to see I'm not going insane by finding Fallout 4 boring. I hate the base building bollocks as well.

16. Vault-Tec

I don't think it really helped either that there was a massive section of the map smothered in radiation with practically nothing in it (no quests either).

One thing I expected was a bigger map than Fallout 3. It was pretty much the same size but yeah, large portion of it was just nothingness.

The buildings you can explore are heavily limited too and contain nothing.

I know graphics do not a good game make but the sound does ! Three Dog was so much better than the berk they used in FO4 and they used some of the music from FO3 (which was disappointing) as well as the voice actors not being anywhere near as good as the ones in FO3 or FONV (no Liam Neeson etc).

Maybe they did it to save cash and this is what we will get now that Zenimax have taken over?

17. rollo

rollo Modder

I just played it through enjoyed it more than new Vegas. Fallout 3 is the best of the reworked games but the orginal games are a lot better.

Most fun I've had is Just Cause 3, really struggled to get into anything in the last year or so.

18. Vault-Tec

I never finished a single mission in Just Cause 2 I just spent hours and hours having fun. It was like a great Lego kit :)

After getting my Titan X I decided to try JC3 and it was good fun. Some of the cars sound really good so thrashing them around was great fun :D

FONV suffered somewhat the same ills that FO4 suffers from. Lack of soul. New Vegas has great characters and decent actors and the quests are great but near on all of the buildings are empty and there is nothing to go digging for (though the vaults were pretty great).

But yeah, even the vaults in Fallout 4 were completely vacuous and not even worth bothering with. Only one had like one quest and it was as vapid as a sink full of dirty dishwater :(

19. rollo

rollo Modder

Vulken performance increases more down to how poor AMD is in OpenGL compared to Nvidia who have always had good OpenGL drivers. Was a report I was reading on guru.

20. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

guru3d - the company that doesn't retest older cards with new drivers , just adds tose results to the latest reviews....

that guru3d yeah?